GDT: Jackrabbits vs Ducks @ Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Jackrabbits vs Ducks @ Portland

I think that athletically and size wise we have a hard time with P5 schools so we rely much more on scheme. This time having played them earlier probably did us a disservice because it looked like they were well prepared for our scheme.

The other thing I thought hurt was losing Tylee early. In order to shoot threes you have to be able to penetrate and kick. Other than Macy she was one of the few that was willing to try rather than just swinging the ball around the perimeter. I was impressed with her aggressiveness.

Kudos to the women on a great year.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      I think that athletically and size wise we have a hard time with P5 schools so we rely much more on scheme. This time having played them earlier probably did us a disservice because it looked like they were well prepared for our scheme.

The other thing I thought hurt was losing Tylee early. In order to shoot threes you have to be able to penetrate and kick. Other than Macy she was one of the few that was willing to try rather than just swinging the ball around the perimeter. I was impressed with her aggressiveness.

Kudos to the women on a great year.
      I agree. I also think that with P5 schools look at us at times and see an easier game then if they were playing another P5 school. Having played OU, they knew we were good and were plenty capable of beating them if they weren't locked in. Take Syracuse for example, based on some post game comments from their players, I don't think the thought entered their minds there was a chance SDSU would beat them.

Comment

Oregon was the high seed with a safe lead, a big crowd and probably the best player in all of college basketball. Of course the national broadcast is going to focus on them/her.

Congrats to the Jacks on an amazing season. They definitely had their part in adding to the SDSU WBB legacy. The have raised the bar and shown future Jacks what is possible. Well done.

Comment

At least next season and beyond when our opponents media talks about the Jack's they will say made it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            At least next season and beyond when our opponents media talks about the Jack's they will say made it to the Sweet Sixteen in 2019.
            Which will make an even bigger target on their backs next year.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I agree. I also think that with P5 schools look at us at times and see an easier game then if they were playing another P5 school. Having played OU, they knew we were good and were plenty capable of beating them if they weren't locked in. Take Syracuse for example, based on some post game comments from their players, I don't think the thought entered their minds there was a chance SDSU would beat them.
              Looking at the results of the other Sweet 16 games, our ladies more than held their own during an off night.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                Looking at the results of the other Sweet 16 games, our ladies more than held their own during an off night.
                Certainly! I have to think they are wondering what if today. If a half dozen shots they normally make fall last night we could easily be having a much different conversation today.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Certainly! I have to think they are wondering what if today. If a half dozen shots they normally make fall last night we could easily be having a much different conversation today.
                  That is what has to make today even more difficult. If they would have played a flawless game and lose, although still painful, they would know they did all they could do. When you know that you played poorly you end up second guessing yourselves. I thought that the video of AJ's postgame speech was exactly what the team needed to hear.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
                    You missed a lot. The Jack's showed courage in the face of things not going for them as they had. They showed guts not quiting (despite the plea from one fan to intentionally foul down the stretch).
                    As far as announcers, the Jack's are getting plenty of credit. No need to play the us against the world card. If they continue to reach this point, they will get even more respect from an national audience. Well done Jacks
                    It wasn't just that. we were letting them dribble out the clock with over 2 min left. But I digress. I just wanted the women to win somehow and to exhaust any ethical option to get to that point. If we shoot better we could have won. But their defense had a lot to do with that. I feel that we really had the talent to win. unfortunately last night didn't exactly sho what these players are capable of.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well Oregon just advanced to the final four so...

Comment

#1 seed Mississippi St ended up only 6 points better than SDSU, falling to Oregon 88 to 84. Oregon led much of the second half and all of the 4th quarter. That’s an impressive team and we kept them below 70 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          #1 seed Mississippi St ended up only 6 points better than SDSU, falling to Oregon 88 to 84. Oregon led much of the second half and all of the 4th quarter. That’s an impressive team and we kept them below 70 points.
                          The Jackrabbit defense might be the most overlooked part of the game. It was no fluke that 63 points was a winner. Graves likely had a hunch they needed to emphasize defense as well. Overall, the women played decent defense against the teams with bigs.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I thought McCowan moves slow, Oregon out manuevered her a lot. She doesn't cover much gound either, only about 6-8 ft or so from where she stands. Great scorer/rebounder, when she's under the basket. Can't coach height.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              I thought McCowan moves slow, Oregon out manuevered her a lot. She doesn't cover much gound either, only about 6-8 ft or so from where she stands. Great scorer/rebounder, when she's under the basket. Can't coach height.
                              I’ll take my chances with a undersized post player who is athletic. Heck with those big clods that can’t move. We have one that is big but slow, it doesn’t work for her.

Comment

I agree. I don't think we need a 6'-6" post, but someone about 6'-2" to 6'-3" that is a true 5, can move pretty good for her height and can protect the paint.
                                I wish Burckhard was 6'-2", because she would be that player. But as someone has already noted - if she was, she may not be playing for us. Just l
                                ook what Sjerven did for USD. They would have been a good team without her, but I think she made them a VERY good team.

Comment

Working...
                                X