Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach Henderson

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Henderson said that when Dunn and Sell announced to the team that he was going to be the next head coach the players went crazy and were so excited. Good to hear.

Gaskins prodded a bit asking about what Jenkins' plans are and if he'll be back next year... Henderson said that he has no reason to think he wouldn't be back. Take that with a grain of salt, but it's better than hearing something else.

Hendo (going to use this from now on... I like it and it's easier than typing the full name) talked about developing a toughness and especially some discipline on the defensive end. Basically exactly what people thought Otz didn't instill enough.
    The whole defensive issues may be more team related than coaching related. When you’re running a defensive philosophy to keep your best player out of foul trouble that spills over to the team in many ways.

You’re playing to keep your 30 point scorer out of foul trouble means he’s not working 100% defensively, you create mismatches elsewhere and you maybe got other players not buying in 100% defensively.

Comment

Henderson said that when Dunn and Sell announced to the team that he was going to be the next head coach the players went crazy and were so excited. Good to hear.
      This the best news of the day. A comparison in my mind to the Bison Football program in terms of promoting head coach from within. We dont have to worry about some one with new concepts that dont work. Coach Henderson has worked with these guys in practice day in day out. The team will no doubt know what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
        The whole defensive issues may be more team related than coaching related. When you’re running a defensive philosophy to keep your best player out of foul trouble that spills over to the team in many ways.

You’re playing to keep your 30 point scorer out of foul trouble means he’s not working 100% defensively, you create mismatches elsewhere and you maybe got other players not buying in 100% defensively.
        Especially when that player is one of your post players. That means more help defense leaving shooters open, or a zone defense that can take the aggressiveness of a defense away.

My guess is that we would have seen an improvement on the defensive side of the ball had Otz stayed or left. Our best players will be in the backcourt for the next couple years. My guess is our bigs will have a move "conventional" role going forward. Hopefully that means more rim protecting which allows the perimeter defense to play a little tighter
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Especially when that player is one of your post players. That means more help defense leaving shooters open, or a zone defense that can take the aggressiveness of a defense away.

My guess is that we would have seen an improvement on the defensive side of the ball had Otz stayed or left. Our best players will be in the backcourt for the next couple years. My guess is our bigs will have a move "conventional" role going forward. Hopefully that means more rim protecting which allows the perimeter defense to play a little tighter
          Agreed.
          Detlinger and Alou are going to be great in that “conventional” role next year.

Comment

FYI, Henderson is live on KWSN right now.
            Cap, are you sure it wasn't Justin Sell? I know the AD was on the radio show on Thursday and talked about hiring Henderson.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Cap, are you sure it wasn't Justin Sell? I know the AD was on the radio show on Thursday and talked about hiring Henderson.
              They had both Sell and Hendo on separately.

You can listen here: https://kwsn.com/podcasts/

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                They had both Sell and Hendo on separately.

You can listen here: https://kwsn.com/podcasts/
                Thanks, LA. (And sorry, Cap!)
                Last edited by Jacked_Up; 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Thanks, LA. (And sorry, Cap!)

Comment

I hope Alou and Dentlinger can step up in the post so the team can defend better at the 3 point line. The team last season was incredibly fun to watch, but trusted the other team missing 3s too much

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
                      I hope Alou and Dentlinger can step up in the post so the team can defend better at the 3 point line. The team last season was incredibly fun to watch, but trusted the other team missing 3s too much
                      Welcome, Diesel. Reading the perspective of a new poster will be nice.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

I took time to listen to the KWSN interviews with Justin Sell, and Eric Henderson. Justin's was of particular interest in mentioning that agents are often involved in coaching moves. No surprises there but TJ had been totally upfront about who was offering and whether he was interested or not. What is interesting about Eric Henderson, there was a choice of moving on with TJ or staying on as HC. And they had to know what his feelings were. He made a good choice as far as I am concerned.

Comment

In an earlier post i questioned whether the fact that TJ was looking at other positions might have effected the WIU game performance. Some one responded that there was no effect because the UNLV position wasn't even open yet. My thought was that this was probably not the only opening he was looking at and that there would have been awareness of that at that time. Commits above tend to validate that TJ had made it known to Sells and perhaps others what was going on. So I still think there may have been a connection to the upset. I appreciate his up front approach and also his encouraging the players and recruits to honor their commitments to SDSU. Both in my opinion were class acts aimed at leaving SDSU in the best possible position to move forward.

Comment

Sell said that some other schools had been sniffing around about Otz. Washington State (I believe it was) was the only school he acknowledged. But I don't think that explains the Western Illinois loss. (And Sell didn't suggest that.) The Leathernecks just had a good night.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                              In an earlier post i questioned whether the fact that TJ was looking at other positions might have effected the WIU game performance. Some one responded that there was no effect because the UNLV position wasn't even open yet. My thought was that this was probably not the only opening he was looking at and that there would have been awareness of that at that time. Commits above tend to validate that TJ had made it known to Sells and perhaps others what was going on. So I still think there may have been a connection to the upset. I appreciate his up front approach and also his encouraging the players and recruits to honor their commitments to SDSU. Both in my opinion were class acts aimed at leaving SDSU in the best possible position to move forward.
                              if he was so encouraging about players honoring commitment I’m surprised he’s going to have conversations with grill this weekend according to beat writers at unlv.

Comment

Grill decommited. Its TJs job to get the best players for his team. Is he suppose to sit back and do nothing?

Comment

Working...
                                X