Coach Henderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coach Henderson

Did tj not want any of his staff or didnt anyone want to go. Seems odd just. Head coach moves on and everyone else stays. Unless I just never pay attention.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
      It appears the entire coaching staff including Dir of Ops is staying on ... which is a good thing. Continuity was a big key here. Last coaching position will be interesting. None of the assistant coaches have deep recruiting experience. Hendo needs to good guy on his staff ... I suspect he knows several very qualified individuals. McDermott and TJ may also be able to help in that regard too!
      Obviously you are close to tj and Hendo. You kind of put down Klink in a different thread and no you are putting him down again. The guy has a lot of experience and had a ton of success while Nagy was here as well. It’s a bad look being connected to those two and discrediting Klink. FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        Henderson has gotten rave reviews from the people I know and trust in the college basketball coaching circle.
        I have heard from multiple people that I trust that Hendo is one of the best guys you'll ever meet, that interview with Tyler is what genuine looks like. I think our future is bright and we may not be as bad as everyone thinks next year

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
          Obviously you are close to tj and Hendo. You kind of put down Klink in a different thread and no you are putting him down again. The guy has a lot of experience and had a ton of success while Nagy was here as well. It’s a bad look being connected to those two and discrediting Klink. FWIW
          Not discrediting anyone. Certainly it’s a point of view. But at the mid major level not all assistant coaches are the same. The HC does a lot of recruiting and the lead assistant does some as well, the 2nd assistant not so much and so forth ... Klink is just now ascending to lead assistant position. He will be more engaged in recruiting then he’s ever had under Nagy or TJ.

The entire staff has limited recruiting experience. 14 years at one university doesn’t make you a recruiting expert.

Klink brings immense knowledge of Brookings, SDSU and its history to this staff. It’s invaluable stuff.

Comment

Not discrediting anyone. Certainly it’s a point of view. But at the mid major level not all assistant coaches are the same. The HC does a lot of recruiting and the lead assistant does some as well, the 2nd assistant not so much and so forth ... Klink is just now ascending to lead assistant position. He will be more engaged in recruiting then he’s ever had under Nagy or TJ.

The entire staff has limited recruiting experience. 14 years at one university doesn’t make you a recruiting expert.

Klink brings immense knowledge of Brookings, SDSU and its history to this staff. It’s invaluable stuff.
            I don't think you should say limited. Maybe not primary, but not limited. He knows what he is doing.

Comment

Your view on who does the recruiting on a D-I MBB staff is wrong. The whole staff recruits - not just the HC and lead assistant. Ask any of them, they are pretty much gone the entire month of July recruiting. It's a brutal schedule and not one I wish upon anyone. Especially considering how long their season is and how much travel that alone involves.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Your view on who does the recruiting on a D-I MBB staff is wrong. The whole staff recruits - not just the HC and lead assistant. Ask any of them, they are pretty much gone the entire month of July recruiting. It's a brutal schedule and not one I wish upon anyone. Especially considering how long their season is and how much travel that alone involves.
                This has been my understanding of how recruiting works.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  TJ and Hendo were the primary leads on Grill, DJJ, DPH, Alou, Dettlinger and Arians. They were the ones making the initial home visit. They were the ones meeting the parents and coaches. The other coaches had less contact. TJ and Hendo were the ones texting constantly the new recruits, less so by other coaches. There have been multiple times this year that after a road game TJ or Hendo (or both) would split off a travel home separately to catch a game or two of a potential recruit. The other assistants not so much.

June/July is a busy season yes - all coaches travel then. Sometimes the same tournament, other times different tournaments. This year Hendo and Klink will be attending as many games of 2019 recruits/prospects as possible. Weathers/New Guy will be prospecting more for 2020, 2021 and beyond.

The HC and lead assistant have more recruiting responsibilities than other assistants ... its just the way it is. The other assistants have secondary responsibilities on recruiting. travelling more locally, following up with tier 2 prospects.

You say I am wrong - based on what - just curious!

Comment

TJ and Hendo were the primary leads on Grill, DJJ, DPH, Alou, Dettlinger and Arians. They were the ones making the initial home visit. They were the ones meeting the parents and coaches. The other coaches had less contact. TJ and Hendo were the ones texting constantly the new recruits, less so by other coaches. There have been multiple times this year that after a road game TJ or Hendo (or both) would split off a travel home separately to catch a game or two of a potential recruit. The other assistants not so much.

June/July is a busy season yes - all coaches travel then. Sometimes the same tournament, other times different tournaments. This year Hendo and Klink will be attending as many games of 2019 recruits/prospects as possible. Weathers/New Guy will be prospecting more for 2020, 2021 and beyond.

The HC and lead assistant have more recruiting responsibilities than other assistants ... its just the way it is. The other assistants have secondary responsibilities on recruiting. travelling more locally, following up with tier 2 prospects.

I dont have any inside sources so I dont know who is correct. I know in the NCC days the assistant did all the leg work and head coach became involved when there was a serious connection, but those days are gone and I suspect your explanation maybe correct. IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I dont have any inside sources so I dont know who is correct. I know in the NCC days the assistant did all the leg work and head coach became involved when there was a serious connection, but those days are gone and I suspect your explanation maybe correct. IDK.
                      Everyone is different ... not saying my suggestion is accurate ... I suspect its different at each program.

Every coach has his strengths and weaknesses but most head coaches want to be intimately involved in all aspects of recruiting ... and typically guys like TJ are hired because they are such great recruiters. Letting go of something they're good at is tough. It is also such an important aspect of the job that they tend to hold those things close to their vest!

Comment

You proved yourself wrong with your response above. In July, they are all on the road recruiting.

And you use a blanket statement that the HC and lead assistant do most of the recruiting - like it is the same for every staff in college hoops. Wrong again. If you try to tell us otherwise, save yourself the embarrassment.

Hendo and TJ weren't the only ones who split off travel coming home from away games to go watch a recruit's games this past year.
                        Last edited by BTownJack; 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

This take is completely wrong. Assistants do the majority of recruiting as the HC is actually limited to how much they can be out. HC's usually get brought into the visit portion once the courting has got real serious, now they do talk and text with recruits almost every day. Klink under Nagy was his recruiting horse, gone quite frequently watching games or visiting players. Can't speak for how his role has changed under TJ but Klink is known as a "Recruiter" in the coaching world. I know Hendo has been a big recruiter in the Wisconsin & KC areas for both Dave Richman and TJ.

Also the hierarchy of who's 1, 2, or 3 among the assistants has zero relevance on how much each guy recruits. Generally each Assistant has a Geographical Territory that they cover so each year it could change who's on the road the most based off of who's territory has more recruits suited for the program.

Comment

I always have thought of Klink as being more of a recruiter, especially when he was under Nagy. I am pretty sure he was the lead assistant for bring in Dykstra and Heemstra, so for those saying he is just starting to recruit are just plain wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jacked_up_rabbit View Post
                              I always have thought of Klink as being more of a recruiter, especially when he was under Nagy. I am pretty sure he was the lead assistant for bring in Dykstra and Heemstra, so for those saying he is just starting to recruit are just plain wrong.
                              He is definitely a recruiter, any kid from Iowa, South Dakota, or Nebraska was brought in by Klink under Nagy's tenure.

Comment

I don't know if this has been posted but they are going to have a "Meet and Greet" at Cubby's next Monday at 5PM for the new MBB coaching staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X