Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    This seems to me to be a reasonable expectation for this year's Jacks. They'll probably take a while to gel (and occasionally look pretty bad in the process) but should (knock on wood) come together by the end of the regular season. Otzelberger's first year was pretty ugly--until it wasn't.
    There are too many unknowns about this team to say they are going to be good or bad. So it would be logical to say a middle of the road team. I have a feeling we will come out with more of a consistant style of play than we saw with TJ. At least I pray we do.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a young team. Two seniors and two juniors. It will take time to mesh and I hope they can build momentum and not get shellshocked by the time January ends. This is a team that is built for two to three years down the road.

We return 33.7% of our total minutes played from last season and 20.6% of our starters from all 33 games.
      We knew that we'd be losing a lot of scoring punch. That is evident with only 15.8 pts/game out of the 84.6 pts/game we averaged last year.

It will be nice to have Brandon Key back in the fold. Only time will tell if he will become the team leader or if it will come from other parts of the team. Of our four upper classmen, three are JUCO transfers and the fourth is the vocal bench leader.

Alex Arians is the returning stat leader as a redshirt sophomore. He's the type of blue collar role player that can make teams great. We've had many outstanding role players in our history, with Skyler Flatten and Tevin King being the most recent. Will Alex expand his game to be a featured player or does he continue to fill a side role with a higher levels on the stat sheet?

Owen King and Matt Dentlinger had opportunities to develop with on the court minutes in many important situations throughout last year. Have their games matured? Will they be able to develop their game to fit their skillset or will they be forced into roles that may not be ideal. Last year King was forced to take more minutes at the point even though at best he's a point guard. Dentlinger is not flashy and will never be the shooter that Daum was, but he does excel in certain areas of his game. For example nearly half of his rebounds last year were offensive rebounds as he was second on the team in offensive boards. That requires relentless effort and using technique. He was also an efficient scorer last year as he shot 56.3% from the field. Was that a reflection of the easy buckets because of the other firepower we had or does it translate to his scoring ability? Can he develop other parts of his game?

Will Alou Dillon's skill set and effort match his physique? We've been marveling at his athletic ability for two years now. Is this the year his game takes off since he doesn't have to live in the shadow of Daum? Can he be a defensive presence in the lane?

How about our two JUCO players? Can their All-American JUCO experience translate to this level? The beauty of going that route during the last two years is that they've had much more court time during meaningful games than many of our underclassmen. Or will playing against less depth/talent at that level build false expectations?

While we were not able to close the deal on Caleb Grill, we have some very talented freshmen. If David Wingett wins his eligibility, this year's freshmen class could still be one of the top classes in Jackrabbit lore.
      (I understand Wingett is not a true freshman, but if he can play this year he will have four years of eligibility.)
      I would not rule out both Noah Freidel and Baylor Scheierman having their redshirts pulled this year. Aaron Fiegen and Matthew Mims have four years of eligibility remaining too.

I have no doubt that a few scoring and stat leaders will develop on this team. Too much talent not to. However, do we have any Tevin Kings and Skyler Flattens that can excel at their roles? You could argue that both were All-Summit league type players last year even if their games were overshadowed by fellow teammates and higher profile league players. Both were studs! That enabled us to have four elite players on the court most of the time and many of this year's key pieces were able to develop their games in lower pressured roles.

I just hope this team has the resiliency to finish the season strong like NDSU did last year. The Bison turned a very marginal team into an NCAA tourney team in late February and March. (I'm not saying they were the best team in the Summit, but they did win when it counted.) If we can do that this year, we will be solid for years to come.
      Great post!

This team is going to take a little time to gel, but the Jacks overall talent is just better than the rest of the league top to bottom (especially if Wingett is eligible this year). Expect a slow start with us being one of the favorites, if not the favorite, to win the Summit League Tournament by season's end.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        There are too many unknowns about this team to say they are going to be good or bad. So it would be logical to say a middle of the road team. I have a feeling we will come out with more of a consistant style of play than we saw with TJ. At least I pray we do.
        Do you suppose the "Running Reb's" come out and rock a Zone D?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Do you suppose the "Running Reb's" come out and rock a Zone D?
          LMAO!!!

Comment

Note: saw some of the team members at the "Lawn Party" for "One Day for State".

Aaron Fiegen looks MUCH bigger... both in muscle... but also in height. He was standing by Dillon, and I got to say, if he's not taller... they are the same height.

Just an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              Note: saw some of the team members at the "Lawn Party" for "One Day for State".

Aaron Fiegen looks MUCH bigger... both in muscle... but also in height. He was standing by Dillon, and I got to say, if he's not taller... they are the same height.

Just an observation.
              This is great to hear. Fiegen always seemed like a wildcard to me in the sense that I found it hard to gauge his floor or his ceiling. If he has developed into a player that can give us a solid 10-15 minutes at the 4 spot per game he'll be valuable asset to this year's team. If he's progressed beyond that, it's all gravy.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Any idea when we will get a ruling from the NCAA on Wingett?

Comment

Originally posted by jacks14 View Post
                  Any idea when we will get a ruling from the NCAA on Wingett?
                  With in the next decade most likely.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It shouldn't be too much to ask of the NCAA to rule on eligibility waivers before the opening of practice. Still have to think that part of the problem is Memphis being reluctant to state that Wingett lost his scholarship simply so they could bring in higher rated recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      It shouldn't be too much to ask of the NCAA to rule on eligibility waivers before the opening of practice. Still have to think that part of the problem is Memphis being reluctant to state that Wingett lost his scholarship simply so they could bring in higher rated recruits.
                      Yeah this seems like something that could be taken care of in a matter of days. Not months. Anything sdsu can do to push it? I wouldn't be surprised if the flopping Penny's did anything they could to sabotage another school and player.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Yeah this seems like something that could be taken care of in a matter of days. Not months. Anything sdsu can do to push it? I wouldn't be surprised if the flopping Penny's did anything they could to sabotage another school and player.
                        It isn't about sabotaging anyone. It is about them not wanting to admit it because it can be used against them in recruiting. And, it should be used against them since it is a really shady thing to do to a kid who works his butt off for the program.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          It isn't about sabotaging anyone. It is about them not wanting to admit it because it can be used against them in recruiting. And, it should be used against them since it is a really shady thing to do to a kid who works his butt off for the program.
                          Well its sabotaging their former imho. It's pretty low on their part. Make me dislike them even more.

Comment

Plus, if he doesn't get the waiver, Wingett will give up a season of eligibility because he was injured almost the entire year he was at Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Plus, if he doesn't get the waiver, Wingett will give up a season of eligibility because he was injured almost the entire year he was at Memphis.
                              I would think, since he only played in 4 games, that he would be eligible for a medical year
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I would think, since he only played in 4 games, that he would be eligible for a medical year
                                So would that be his red shirt year? He would need to go back and try to get the 2nd red shirt year as the transfer year. It normally is 2 injury years to get the waiver for the 6th year not that there has never been another reason. It could be a RAW deal if he is not cleared to play this season.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X