Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 794

Thread: 2019-20 Men's Roster

  1. #761
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Any significance that Wingett is pictured in street clothes while all the others are in uniform ? Still nothing official about his waiver request.
    Profile Pics have been added to GoJacks and all the guys are in the Blue Polo, so my assumption is that it doesn't suggest anything, good or bad. NCAA has been such a crap-shoot on eligibility, if it was a logical decision I was be optimistic, but when it comes to mid-majors, it seems like they just flip a coin on it so they don't have to dig into paperwork.

    As for the new Uniform, I love it! They need to ditch those hideous practice uniforms! I could see the cursive script looking sharp on the Black Uni's (assuming we have that as an alternate uniform) but the blues can be hit and miss.

  2. #762
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,464

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Profile Pics have been added to GoJacks and all the guys are in the Blue Polo, so my assumption is that it doesn't suggest anything, good or bad. NCAA has been such a crap-shoot on eligibility, if it was a logical decision I was be optimistic, but when it comes to mid-majors, it seems like they just flip a coin on it so they don't have to dig into paperwork.

    As for the new Uniform, I love it! They need to ditch those hideous practice uniforms! I could see the cursive script looking sharp on the Black Uni's (assuming we have that as an alternate uniform) but the blues can be hit and miss.
    May have heard, from a little bird, that an appeal was filed for Wingett's eligibility.
    (Note: appeal could be the wrong word... I have no idea if an initial request was denied... but I know there are efforts being made for him to try to be eligible this year. It'll be up to the NCAA.)

  3. #763
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a young team. Two seniors and two juniors. It will take time to mesh and I hope they can build momentum and not get shellshocked by the time January ends. This is a team that is built for two to three years down the road.

    We return 33.7% of our total minutes played from last season and 20.6% of our starters from all 33 games.
    We knew that we'd be losing a lot of scoring punch. That is evident with only 15.8 pts/game out of the 84.6 pts/game we averaged last year.

    It will be nice to have Brandon Key back in the fold. Only time will tell if he will become the team leader or if it will come from other parts of the team. Of our four upper classmen, three are JUCO transfers and the fourth is the vocal bench leader.

    Alex Arians is the returning stat leader as a redshirt sophomore. He's the type of blue collar role player that can make teams great. We've had many outstanding role players in our history, with Skyler Flatten and Tevin King being the most recent. Will Alex expand his game to be a featured player or does he continue to fill a side role with a higher levels on the stat sheet?

    Owen King and Matt Dentlinger had opportunities to develop with on the court minutes in many important situations throughout last year. Have their games matured? Will they be able to develop their game to fit their skillset or will they be forced into roles that may not be ideal. Last year King was forced to take more minutes at the point even though at best he's a point guard. Dentlinger is not flashy and will never be the shooter that Daum was, but he does excel in certain areas of his game. For example nearly half of his rebounds last year were offensive rebounds as he was second on the team in offensive boards. That requires relentless effort and using technique. He was also an efficient scorer last year as he shot 56.3% from the field. Was that a reflection of the easy buckets because of the other firepower we had or does it translate to his scoring ability? Can he develop other parts of his game?

    Will Alou Dillon's skill set and effort match his physique? We've been marveling at his athletic ability for two years now. Is this the year his game takes off since he doesn't have to live in the shadow of Daum? Can he be a defensive presence in the lane?

    How about our two JUCO players? Can their All-American JUCO experience translate to this level? The beauty of going that route during the last two years is that they've had much more court time during meaningful games than many of our underclassmen. Or will playing against less depth/talent at that level build false expectations?

    While we were not able to close the deal on Caleb Grill, we have some very talented freshmen. If David Wingett wins his eligibility, this year's freshmen class could still be one of the top classes in Jackrabbit lore.
    (I understand Wingett is not a true freshman, but if he can play this year he will have four years of eligibility.)
    I would not rule out both Noah Freidel and Baylor Scheierman having their redshirts pulled this year. Aaron Fiegen and Matthew Mims have four years of eligibility remaining too.

    I have no doubt that a few scoring and stat leaders will develop on this team. Too much talent not to. However, do we have any Tevin Kings and Skyler Flattens that can excel at their roles? You could argue that both were All-Summit league type players last year even if their games were overshadowed by fellow teammates and higher profile league players. Both were studs! That enabled us to have four elite players on the court most of the time and many of this year's key pieces were able to develop their games in lower pressured roles.

    I just hope this team has the resiliency to finish the season strong like NDSU did last year. The Bison turned a very marginal team into an NCAA tourney team in late February and March. (I'm not saying they were the best team in the Summit, but they did win when it counted.) If we can do that this year, we will be solid for years to come.

  4. #764
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Worthington,MN
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    The college basketball magazines are starting to come out, and the predictions for the Jacks are for middle of the pack finishes in the Summit. Which is to be expected considering what is not returning from last season. Of the two I've seen, the Jacks were picked to finish 4th and 5th. That is probably fair for the beginning of the season, but I think the Jacks will be better than that come March.

  5. #765
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Posts
    11,641

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole View Post
    I just hope this team has the resiliency to finish the season strong like NDSU did last year. The Bison turned a very marginal team into an NCAA tourney team in late February and March. (I'm not saying they were the best team in the Summit, but they did win when it counted.) If we can do that this year, we will be solid for years to come.
    This seems to me to be a reasonable expectation for this year's Jacks. They'll probably take a while to gel (and occasionally look pretty bad in the process) but should (knock on wood) come together by the end of the regular season. Otzelberger's first year was pretty ugly--until it wasn't.
    "I think we'll be OK"

  6. #766
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Brookings, Co
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    This seems to me to be a reasonable expectation for this year's Jacks. They'll probably take a while to gel (and occasionally look pretty bad in the process) but should (knock on wood) come together by the end of the regular season. Otzelberger's first year was pretty ugly--until it wasn't.
    There are too many unknowns about this team to say they are going to be good or bad. So it would be logical to say a middle of the road team. I have a feeling we will come out with more of a consistant style of play than we saw with TJ. At least I pray we do.

  7. #767
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHole View Post
    I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a young team. Two seniors and two juniors. It will take time to mesh and I hope they can build momentum and not get shellshocked by the time January ends. This is a team that is built for two to three years down the road.

    We return 33.7% of our total minutes played from last season and 20.6% of our starters from all 33 games.
    We knew that we'd be losing a lot of scoring punch. That is evident with only 15.8 pts/game out of the 84.6 pts/game we averaged last year.

    It will be nice to have Brandon Key back in the fold. Only time will tell if he will become the team leader or if it will come from other parts of the team. Of our four upper classmen, three are JUCO transfers and the fourth is the vocal bench leader.

    Alex Arians is the returning stat leader as a redshirt sophomore. He's the type of blue collar role player that can make teams great. We've had many outstanding role players in our history, with Skyler Flatten and Tevin King being the most recent. Will Alex expand his game to be a featured player or does he continue to fill a side role with a higher levels on the stat sheet?

    Owen King and Matt Dentlinger had opportunities to develop with on the court minutes in many important situations throughout last year. Have their games matured? Will they be able to develop their game to fit their skillset or will they be forced into roles that may not be ideal. Last year King was forced to take more minutes at the point even though at best he's a point guard. Dentlinger is not flashy and will never be the shooter that Daum was, but he does excel in certain areas of his game. For example nearly half of his rebounds last year were offensive rebounds as he was second on the team in offensive boards. That requires relentless effort and using technique. He was also an efficient scorer last year as he shot 56.3% from the field. Was that a reflection of the easy buckets because of the other firepower we had or does it translate to his scoring ability? Can he develop other parts of his game?

    Will Alou Dillon's skill set and effort match his physique? We've been marveling at his athletic ability for two years now. Is this the year his game takes off since he doesn't have to live in the shadow of Daum? Can he be a defensive presence in the lane?

    How about our two JUCO players? Can their All-American JUCO experience translate to this level? The beauty of going that route during the last two years is that they've had much more court time during meaningful games than many of our underclassmen. Or will playing against less depth/talent at that level build false expectations?

    While we were not able to close the deal on Caleb Grill, we have some very talented freshmen. If David Wingett wins his eligibility, this year's freshmen class could still be one of the top classes in Jackrabbit lore.
    (I understand Wingett is not a true freshman, but if he can play this year he will have four years of eligibility.)
    I would not rule out both Noah Freidel and Baylor Scheierman having their redshirts pulled this year. Aaron Fiegen and Matthew Mims have four years of eligibility remaining too.

    I have no doubt that a few scoring and stat leaders will develop on this team. Too much talent not to. However, do we have any Tevin Kings and Skyler Flattens that can excel at their roles? You could argue that both were All-Summit league type players last year even if their games were overshadowed by fellow teammates and higher profile league players. Both were studs! That enabled us to have four elite players on the court most of the time and many of this year's key pieces were able to develop their games in lower pressured roles.

    I just hope this team has the resiliency to finish the season strong like NDSU did last year. The Bison turned a very marginal team into an NCAA tourney team in late February and March. (I'm not saying they were the best team in the Summit, but they did win when it counted.) If we can do that this year, we will be solid for years to come.
    Great post!

    This team is going to take a little time to gel, but the Jacks overall talent is just better than the rest of the league top to bottom (especially if Wingett is eligible this year). Expect a slow start with us being one of the favorites, if not the favorite, to win the Summit League Tournament by season's end.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright


  8. #768
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Posts
    2,623

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    There are too many unknowns about this team to say they are going to be good or bad. So it would be logical to say a middle of the road team. I have a feeling we will come out with more of a consistant style of play than we saw with TJ. At least I pray we do.
    Do you suppose the "Running Reb's" come out and rock a Zone D?

  9. #769
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Brookings, Co
    Posts
    517

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Quote Originally Posted by slosho View Post
    Do you suppose the "Running Reb's" come out and rock a Zone D?
    LMAO!!!

  10. #770
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,464

    Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

    Note: saw some of the team members at the "Lawn Party" for "One Day for State".

    Aaron Fiegen looks MUCH bigger... both in muscle... but also in height. He was standing by Dillon, and I got to say, if he's not taller... they are the same height.

    Just an observation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •