Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    After some conversations this weekend I am having a harder time remaining optimistic about this years roster. I hope the info I've gotten isn't accurate, that's happened before. Regardless, my season tickets are purchased and I'll be there cheering them on when I can.
    Opening a can worms perhaps? Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
      Player(s) leaving or just not performing well in summer workouts?
      We've heard undercurrents from unreliable sources regarding eligibility concerns. I've chalked them up to rumor and innuendo as the sources appear to have reasons to disparage. The people I spoke with this weekend are diehard Jackrabbits. I don't like what they were saying. I'm sure Justin Sell and Coach Henderson are working on solutions, I hope they can find some good ones.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We've heard undercurrents from unreliable sources regarding eligibility concerns. I've chalked them up to rumor and innuendo as the sources appear to have reasons to disparage. The people I spoke with this weekend are diehard Jackrabbits. I don't like what they were saying. I'm sure Justin Sell and Coach Henderson are working on solutions, I hope they can find some good ones.
        Thank you once again for posts that do nothing except for 2 things... 1. flaunt that you have inside sources and 2. stir up worry and controversy. Don't you think these types of conversations are better suited as person to person interactions?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Thank you once again for posts that do nothing except for 2 things... 1. flaunt that you have inside sources and 2. stir up worry and controversy. Don't you think these types of conversations are better suited as person to person interactions?
          What is there to worry about?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            There are plenty of people aware of these concerns as I found out this weekend. Might as well air it out here. You may interpret it anyway that you would like.

Comment

There are plenty of people aware of these concerns as I found out this weekend. Might as well air it out here. You may interpret it anyway that you would like.
              Except you are not airing it out - you are tap dancing around the edges. All that about 98% (or more) of us here on this forum can do is try and guess who you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Except you are not airing it out - you are tap dancing around the edges. All that about 98% (or more) of us here on this forum can do is try and guess who you are talking about.
                Sorry. Didn't mean to do that. They were discussing Wingett and Freidel and their eligibility. Both a work in progress and neither assumed to be automatic. We've heard similar things about others that have joined the Jackrabbit program and every other program in the nation has issues like these. Coach Henderson told us Freidel is eligible to play this year, he said it doesn't mean he will play but he is eligible. I assume that means he may redshirt. He wouldn't say much about Wingett other than he was on campus and excited to join Coach Henderson who had recruited him previous to his signing with Memphis.

This weekend I was told Wingett is far from a done deal and there is still some uncertainty with Freidel. It made me feel a little unsettled. I'm powerless to have any effect on the ultimate outcome. So, perhaps it isn't even worth discussing. Point taken.

Comment

The eligibility is a double edged. It could be looked at as having GPA to qualify which Tray Buchanan alluded in his newcomer interview in that he neglected that portion of the student athlete commitment early in his career. It could also be considered David Wingett who may need a waiver from Memphis to participate this coming season. The Jackrabbits should have a jump on the academic perspective with a solid tutoring group available. Hopefully there is not a Michael Carter III who does not set down, but I guess it happens.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Sorry. Didn't mean to do that. They were discussing Wingett and Freidel and their eligibility. Both a work in progress and neither assumed to be automatic. We've heard similar things about others that have joined the Jackrabbit program and every other program in the nation has issues like these. Coach Henderson told us Freidel is eligible to play this year, he said it doesn't mean he will play but he is eligible. I assume that means he may redshirt. He wouldn't say much about Wingett other than he was on campus and excited to join Coach Henderson who had recruited him previous to his signing with Memphis.

This weekend I was told Wingett is far from a done deal and there is still some uncertainty with Freidel. It made me feel a little unsettled. I'm powerless to have any effect on the ultimate outcome. So, perhaps it isn't even worth discussing. Point taken.
                    Thank you Doc. At least I understand your sense of uneasiness and what impact it might have for the roster this year. Now I am not totally relaxed, see bold . Let us hope they both don't end up wearing red.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. For me, it has always been a bit of a long shot that Wingett would get the waiver to be eligible right away. There will be a lot of new faces to sort out this season as to who deserves playing time. If Wingett and Freidel would end up redshirting, it's very likely that they would contribute more in an extra year tagged on to the end of their careers than they would this season.

Comment

If Friedel is eligible and red shirts wouldn't that be a good sign for the team this year?

I've, like others, have assumed Wingett will have to sit this year. If he gets immediate eligibility that's gravy IMO.

I'm still optimistic about the season. We are unproven but given the guys I know are eligible, I think we will struggle early in the season but will be a tough out in Sioux Falls in March.

Comment

Now this is a helpful and worthy post. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. It’s kind of slow right now, but if there are issues it is good to know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Thanks for the heads up. It’s kind of slow right now, but if there are issues it is good to know about them.
                              Potential issues... Take it with a grain of salt. Or a handful.

Comment

FWIW both Freidel and Wingett were present and working the SDSU basketball camp this past week.

Also Brandon Key, Douglas Wilson, and Tray Buchanan

Comment

Working...
                                X