Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
    Not that it matters, but I would say the Big East is definitely a step up from the MWC. Maybe TJ would have gotten a better offer had he gone to Milwaukee first and it would have only taken him a year!
    Agreed: Big East >>> MWC - and it isn't even close.

Conference RPI:
    2019: Big East #5, MWC #15 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi)
    2018: Big East #2, MWC #9 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi)
    2017: Big East #3, MWC #10 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/conferencerpi)

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      Agreed: Big East >>> MWC - and it isn't even close.

Conference RPI:
      2019: Big East #5, MWC #15 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi)
      2018: Big East #2, MWC #9 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/conferencerpi)
      2017: Big East #3, MWC #10 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2017/conferencerpi)

This MW is absolutely terrible.

No one blames tj for leaving he should have. Money is money. People just hate how tries to create a perception of him.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
        Not that it matters, but I would say the Big East is definitely a step up from the MWC!
        I was being a bit understated. Of course the Big East is a better conference than the MWC. Just being a bit understated.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Again, I think most understand that a mid-major like SDSU will many times be a stepping stone to another job with more pay and in a more prestigious conference. I don't think that's the only kind of individual who can be successful or you target. I also don't believe SDSU is like most mid-major jobs with the support it gets. TJ stepped into an ideal situation and a payback in my opinion should have been to leave for a better job than UNLV and not just take the first cash grab. I think he accomplished the minimum to be expected with the talent he was given and did very little to leave the position in a better place. If a guy stays for just 3 years its probably because he was successful, but is it worth the mess it leaves in the aftermath? Would Sell have hired TJ if he had known he would stay just 3 years? I would hope not. I hope we stay away from the TJ type hires in the future as this kind of gutting of the program on a regular basis will kill the fan base. There are great coaches out there who will invest more in SDSU than TJ did. I think we could have handed the job to any of Nagy's former assistants and had the same or better success. I like the Hendo hire as he appears to be less "Hollywood" and more genuine.
          You're holding the deicsions that players made after Otz left against Otz, and I don't think that's entirely fair to him. These kids can make their own decisions. I would doubt Otz went to them as he was taking the UNLV job and said went JoJo on it and told them to "leave".

Recruits decommitting after a coaching change? Players leaving after their coach leaves? That's more common than it is for them to stay at this point. UNI just got a kid that from Tartan HS in Minneapolis that had signed with Idaho State. They went through a coaching change, best players transferred out and most of their LOIs bailed. Adults don't want to believe it, but kids don't commit to schools 97% of the time. They commit to the coach(s).

HS kids don't have a connection to the school, or pentalties for leaving, like existing players. Much easier for them to find a coach they like at a school that is basically identical and go there.

Kids on campus are still more connected to a coach than their academic program at the school. Outside if very rare cases a degree is a degree is a degree to anyone in the real world.

I get being upset a coach left. That players left. Im just not sure I bit the idea Otz somehow ruined the program. Otz's stock was never going to be higher than it was this off season while at SDSU. Couple that with losing the seniors that was lost and it's easy to see why he took it. A prime example is Porter Moser at Loyola. He gambled after their Final Four run that he could nearly dupilcate it with returning talent, even though he lost the leaders of the team. They weren't near what they were, missed the tournament, and now Porter's stock is way down. They lose their 2 main players from this year and will return just 1 key piece from that FF team next year. His recruiting hasn't been great. He just caught lightning in a bottle with transfers in that year. Next year I won't be ahocked to see them struggle to be top half of the MVC By not leaving last year he's now "stuck" at Loyola without a ton of predicted bright spots.

FWIW I've heard DJJ was looking to leave before Otz left. Thumper can verify that. Schools were around him well before Otz was a blip on UNLVs radar. He was gone anyway.

To say Otz did nothing but hurt the program, as an outsider, seems untrue. There was more media coverage if SDSU during his time there than any previous. I would bet more donations occured as a result of the success he helped bring and develop. He kept Daum, somehow, for another year. Imagine last year without Daum (and possible even DJJ in that case) of Otz is as bad at X and O and I seem to be getting from you all.

Athletics, college and higher (coaches and admin), are a strange world. It's the one world where you are hired strictly to be fired. It's either win enough to get a "better" job or be fired within 5 years (again rare exceptions).

I feel for the slide SDSU seems to be in line for for a year or two. SDSU is the one summit school I trust to stop the slide and recover. It's one of the very few schools of like the MVC presidents to look at for expansion candidates...I'm not as pro expansion as other family bases in our league seem to be... But SDSU is one I'd want on the list.

It's just been astonishing yo see the turn on Otz, from my perspective. All the defending of he isn't what his rumors about him are (he 100% was/is... He was Hoibergs money man, lead recruiter and would use tactics that were less than clean in a number of ways, etc.) and now seeing him trashed as a horrible person/coach (which seems a bit extreme).

I hope the new coach works out for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by uniftw View Post
            You're holding the deicsions that players made after Otz left against Otz, and I don't think that's entirely fair to him. These kids can make their own decisions. I would doubt Otz went to them as he was taking the UNLV job and said went JoJo on it and told them to "leave".

Recruits decommitting after a coaching change? Players leaving after their coach leaves? That's more common than it is for them to stay at this point. UNI just got a kid that from Tartan HS in Minneapolis that had signed with Idaho State. They went through a coaching change, best players transferred out and most of their LOIs bailed. Adults don't want to believe it, but kids don't commit to schools 97% of the time. They commit to the coach(s).

HS kids don't have a connection to the school, or pentalties for leaving, like existing players. Much easier for them to find a coach they like at a school that is basically identical and go there.

Kids on campus are still more connected to a coach than their academic program at the school. Outside if very rare cases a degree is a degree is a degree to anyone in the real world.

I get being upset a coach left. That players left. Im just not sure I bit the idea Otz somehow ruined the program. Otz's stock was never going to be higher than it was this off season while at SDSU. Couple that with losing the seniors that was lost and it's easy to see why he took it. A prime example is Porter Moser at Loyola. He gambled after their Final Four run that he could nearly dupilcate it with returning talent, even though he lost the leaders of the team. They weren't near what they were, missed the tournament, and now Porter's stock is way down. They lose their 2 main players from this year and will return just 1 key piece from that FF team next year. His recruiting hasn't been great. He just caught lightning in a bottle with transfers in that year. Next year I won't be ahocked to see them struggle to be top half of the MVC By not leaving last year he's now "stuck" at Loyola without a ton of predicted bright spots.

FWIW I've heard DJJ was looking to leave before Otz left. Thumper can verify that. Schools were around him well before Otz was a blip on UNLVs radar. He was gone anyway.

To say Otz did nothing but hurt the program, as an outsider, seems untrue. There was more media coverage if SDSU during his time there than any previous. I would bet more donations occured as a result of the success he helped bring and develop. He kept Daum, somehow, for another year. Imagine last year without Daum (and possible even DJJ in that case) of Otz is as bad at X and O and I seem to be getting from you all.

Athletics, college and higher (coaches and admin), are a strange world. It's the one world where you are hired strictly to be fired. It's either win enough to get a "better" job or be fired within 5 years (again rare exceptions).

I feel for the slide SDSU seems to be in line for for a year or two. SDSU is the one summit school I trust to stop the slide and recover. It's one of the very few schools of like the MVC presidents to look at for expansion candidates...I'm not as pro expansion as other family bases in our league seem to be... But SDSU is one I'd want on the list.

It's just been astonishing yo see the turn on Otz, from my perspective. All the defending of he isn't what his rumors about him are (he 100% was/is... He was Hoibergs money man, lead recruiter and would use tactics that were less than clean in a number of ways, etc.) and now seeing him trashed as a horrible person/coach (which seems a bit extreme).

I hope the new coach works out for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
            I for one do not think TJ ruined the program at SDSU by leaving. I think he had multiple choices besides UNLV. I personally dont think much of UNLV because there are so many there that have money to throw around and do weird things. Why a good coach like Lonnie Kruger was let go after obtaining a winning record is beyond me, but I probably don't know the full story and lots of stuff on the internet that I dont have time to read. T.J was good for SDSU and I for one am sorry to see him leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I for one do not think TJ ruined the program at SDSU by leaving. I think he had multiple choices besides UNLV. I personally dont think much of UNLV because there are so many there that have money to throw around and do weird things. Why a good coach like Lonnie Kruger was let go after obtaining a winning record is beyond me, but I probably don't know the full story and lots of stuff on the internet that I dont have time to read. T.J was good for SDSU and I for one am sorry to see him leave.
              Lon Kruger wasn’t fired from UNLV. He left to Oklahoma.

Comment

• 2019-20 Men's Roster

Also, some of the most rabid critics here seemed to have an axe to grind with TJ since day one. You’d miss that perspective if you just popped in after the coaching change.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Lon Kruger wasn’t fired from UNLV. He left to Oklahoma.
                  As usual you are correct.

Comment

With the Final 4 wrapping up and Hendo most likely returned to Brookings, anyone hear of any rumblings regarding staff additions? Sounds like Weather is staying, but we still need a 3rd AC. Also anyone know if Glidden & Telly followed TJ or remaining in Brookings? I'm still shocked Telly didn't go play overseas. Easily could have played for a few years and made decent money, but maybe he was content on being done with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                      With the Final 4 wrapping up and Hendo most likely returned to Brookings, anyone hear of any rumblings regarding staff additions? Sounds like Weather is staying, but we still need a 3rd AC. Also anyone know if Glidden & Telly followed TJ or remaining in Brookings? I'm still shocked Telly didn't go play overseas. Easily could have played for a few years and made decent money, but maybe he was content on being done with the game.
                      Glidden was w/ Hendo at Final Four / Coaches Convention for what that's worth.

Comment

Meet and Greet with Coach Hendo is right now at Cubby's until 6:30. I'm sure anyone can ask him a question if you have any.
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Pretty sure Tyler Glidden is staying. But yes, there is a position open for Klink's old position. Maybe Glidden moves into that, and they look for a new Director of Operations.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Pretty sure Tyler Glidden is staying. But yes, there is a position open for Klink's old position. Maybe Glidden moves into that, and they look for a new Director of Operations.
                            Maybe Reed fills DOBO position?

Comment

Nothing against Reed, but the addition of a fresh set of eyeballs and new recruiting connections might be nice.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Maybe Reed fills DOBO position?
                                Reed still has the year left of grad assistant. Tyler will continue as Director of Operations.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X