Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I would agree with your post and add that TJ is in a different world now. The big salary increase comes with the responibilty of turning around a bigger program. He has five or six current players on the transfer portal and his main job now is to convince these guys to stay. When you look at the transfer portal, there are tons of people looking for a better deal and a trip to the final four. Its weird to say the least. As far as looking back at the Summit League for transfers, I just dont see TJ doing that. The SL is behind him, and to last three years at UNLV is going to take some doing. That UNLV AD is all lovie-dovie now but wait until he has a losing season. Its about business. If I had been TJ, I would have passed on this UNLV Deal.

Anyone who says they would turn down 5-6 million for 4-5 years of work is lying. Let's move past the TJ issue. He got a great deal that almost anyone in the world would have taken in a heartbeat. Lets focus on what Coach Hendo plans to do to rebuild.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      I thought Arvis Young and Derrick Wordlaw were the other two starters with guys like Paul Sentieri, Bob Ladoceur and Kyle Adams off the bench.
      Sorry to continue the thread drift, but Mike Round was the 5th starter. Arvis and Ladoceur the main 2 off the bench as the season went on

Comment

I would agree with your post and add that TJ is in a different world now. The big salary increase comes with the responibilty of turning around a bigger program. He has five or six current players on the transfer portal and his main job now is to convince these guys to stay. When you look at the transfer portal, there are tons of people looking for a better deal and a trip to the final four. Its weird to say the least. As far as looking back at the Summit League for transfers, I just dont see TJ doing that. The SL is behind him, and to last three years at UNLV is going to take some doing. That UNLV AD is all lovie-dovie now but wait until he has a losing season. Its about business. If I had been TJ, I would have passed on this UNLV Deal.
        So, you would have past on tripling your salary or more to the tune of $6.5 million?

Heck, he can retire very comfortably after this contract if he choses. Plus, if he turns UNLV around he will be a candidate for a really major job.

Maybe you would pass on it. You'd be in the very small minority that see it that way.

I can't blame TJ one bit for looking and taking the job. Sure, I have some of the same butt hurt most of us are all feeling but that is because of where we are left sitting. This is the current world of college basketball which SDSU has been very fortunate to have been insulated from for a long time. I don't like it but it is the way it is.

That said, I firmly believe that we have the right people in place and that SDSU is a very attractive place for players to want to come. We will find some quality players that want to be here. Will we be down next year? Probably will, that isn't any newsflash. When you lose the all-time best player in program history and a couple of solid seniors you are going to had a hard time to stay at that level. Throw in probably losing DJJ it is going to be a challenge. It happens and we will tackle it, get through it, and continue to be a solid mid-major program.

As I said in an earlier post, we may just get better in the long run because of the events of the last two weeks. Anyone who has bet against SDSU and its athletic departments over the decade would have been in a losing position. I don't see that changing. This is a bump in the road. We don't like it but we will get past it.

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Otz was the right hand man (and bag man) for Hoiberg at Iowa State. To anyone that questions his ability to handle whatever pressure UNLV may put on him, I'd suggest thinking otherwise.

The reality with TJ leaving is what life for anyone outside of the top 30-50 face and very few exceptions face.

UNI has been extremely lucky with donors and keeping Jake. Belmont was extremely lucky with Byrd, who is now retired. Valpo had a run with Homer Drew and then his two sons.

However, the reality is we aren't anything other than stepping stones to bigger jobs in the extreme majority of cases.

I'd argue, at this level, you want coaches with that kind of attitude. You want coaches who want to prove something. Those are the coaches who drove programs forward. It sucks when they leave because kids don't commit to schools. They commit to coaches. So some of them get lost in it all. Kids on campus have a relationship with that coach and when he isn't there they may not want to be there. That's where your admin, and boosters, need to be aggressive in finding that next guy.

Simply wanting a coach that won't leave at this level often time means you're hiring a coach that won't consistently win, and have less upward drive.

Look at the longest tenured FCS coaches and look at what any of them have actually won. Stig is at 22 some years. Farley at 19. The guy from William and Mary guy from Maine before their most recent guy. Guys don't stay places for multiple decades unless they have the perfect situation for them (extremely rare) or they aren't good enough/don't have the drive to move anywhere else and the admin at that school is okay with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm getting tired of people talking down to us like we are a bunch of bumpkins out here in South Dakota that don't realize coaches move on to bigger and better jobs, we get it already!! What most of us are upset about is it's looking like TJ is a little slippery. I've read this past winter, even from Zim, that TJ really likes SDSU and wants to stay a while and build something, well he's gone after three short years. I've read that we have some impressive freshman on the team, well none of us know, they never saw the floor. The goal has always been an NCAA tourney win, (bison have done it) and hopefully a sweet sixteen appearance (UNI did it) once in my lifetime. Did TJ reach these goals with the best player SDSU has ever had, nope. Did TJ leave SDSU in a better position to reach these goals, well with lack of playing time none of us know but I'm guessing we are farther from those goals after TJ than before. I don't expect our coaches to be lifers but is five years too much to ask for, is leaving the program on equal or better footing too much to ask for. I'm not ready to tar and feather TJ he moved upward to a better gig, we all would make the same move, But if DJJ and Grill end up the UNLV roster then the gloves come off.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              So, you would have past on tripling your salary or more to the tune of $6.5 million?

Heck, he can retire very comfortably after this contract if he choses. Plus, if he turns UNLV around he will be a candidate for a really major job.

Maybe you would pass on it. You'd be in the very small minority that see it that way.

I can't blame TJ one bit for looking and taking the job. Sure, I have some of the same butt hurt most of us are all feeling but that is because of where we are left sitting. This is the current world of college basketball which SDSU has been very fortunate to have been insulated from for a long time. I don't like it but it is the way it is.

That said, I firmly believe that we have the right people in place and that SDSU is a very attractive place for players to want to come. We will find some quality players that want to be here. Will we be down next year? Probably will, that isn't any newsflash. When you lose the all-time best player in program history and a couple of solid seniors you are going to had a hard time to stay at that level. Throw in probably losing DJJ it is going to be a challenge. It happens and we will tackle it, get through it, and continue to be a solid mid-major program.

As I said in an earlier post, we may just get better in the long run because of the events of the last two weeks. Anyone who has bet against SDSU and its athletic departments over the decade would have been in a losing position. I don't see that changing. This is a bump in the road. We don't like it but we will get past it.

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
              Name a coach at UNLV since Tark the Shark that has left on his own terms ! There has been four or five that have set out to do what Tark the Shark had done and they have all failed. It looks like a recipe for failure, but that my opinion. What TJ does remains to be seen. The money is nice, but job security would be more to me. That's all I am saying. TJ coming back to steal recruits is not likely to happen. Even DJJ will end up somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                I honestly have no idea. I just know that points are going to have to come from somewhere consistently. Wilson and Buchanan seem to be our best bets for scoring threats tbh. Having 2 transfers end up being the main offensive threats isn't unheard of, but at this point there's just so much unknown. Yes, every roster has turnover, but not every roster loses:

1. their head coach
                2. a top 10 all time NCAA scorer
                3. a high P5 talented player
                4. 69 pts per game of offense
                5. 4 out of the only 5 players that averaged over 17 min/game
                6. the highest regarded recruit we've ever seen

Having said all that, I have no prediction for this season. Too many unknowns, plus the summit league won't be that strong.
                Given the change over the Non-Con portion will be rough will sorting out lineups and rotations. Unless they hit big on a Grad Transfer ready to step in and provide instant offense. I would caution/temper expectations on the JUCO's as they are always wildcards, no matter the coach. Buchanan didn't exactly light it up at UND but did find success at DMACC so it'll be interesting what we get with him. As you point out the SL will not be strong so I can still see us finishing around 4th behind...NDSU, Omaha, & FW.

As for style I do see us continuing to play uptempo just because I can't see this team scoring well in the half-court, basically a mid-major version of this years Gophers. Hopefully with the length and athleticism will be a little better defensively and create more turnovers for easy fast break scores.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                  Given the change over the Non-Con portion will be rough will sorting out lineups and rotations. Unless they hit big on a Grad Transfer ready to step in and provide instant offense. I would caution/temper expectations on the JUCO's as they are always wildcards, no matter the coach. Buchanan didn't exactly light it up at UND but did find success at DMACC so it'll be interesting what we get with him. As you point out the SL will not be strong so I can still see us finishing around 4th behind...NDSU, Omaha, & FW.

As for style I do see us continuing to play uptempo just because I can't see this team scoring well in the half-court, basically a mid-major version of this years Gophers. Hopefully with the length and athleticism will be a little better defensively and create more turnovers for easy fast break scores.
                  To me this looks more like a nagy team then tj. Just the idea we dont have great shooters but might have some bigs who play the post and a team that will probably need to give more effort but will help lead to their offense. To much unknown but I dont see this current team just outscoring others.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Name a coach at UNLV since Tark the Shark that has left on his own terms ! There has been four or five that have set out to do what Tark the Shark had done and they have all failed. It looks like a recipe for failure, but that my opinion. What TJ does remains to be seen. The money is nice, but job security would be more to me. That's all I am saying. TJ coming back to steal recruits is not likely to happen. Even DJJ will end up somewhere else.
                    I don't disagree with what you say. It is a tough place to really get it going. Yeah, it is Vegas but they are in a terrible conference. By that, I mean compared to the P5 conference. It depends on what is most important to TJ. Evidently they hit that sweet spot so we turn the page. Most people take the cash.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      I don't disagree with what you say. It is a tough place to really get it going. Yeah, it is Vegas but they are in a terrible conference. By that, I mean compared to the P5 conference. It depends on what is most important to TJ. Evidently they hit that sweet spot so we turn the page. Most people take the cash.

SUPERBUNNY
                      Even if TJ gets axed after three years he's still walking with $5million +. That should be more than enough money to tide him over until he can find another gig. With his connections and recruiting reputation he will have P5 assistant coaching options rather quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by uniftw View Post
                        Otz was the right hand man (and bag man) for Hoiberg at Iowa State. To anyone that questions his ability to handle whatever pressure UNLV may put on him, I'd suggest thinking otherwise.

The reality with TJ leaving is what life for anyone outside of the top 30-50 face and very few exceptions face.

UNI has been extremely lucky with donors and keeping Jake. Belmont was extremely lucky with Byrd, who is now retired. Valpo had a run with Homer Drew and then his two sons.

However, the reality is we aren't anything other than stepping stones to bigger jobs in the extreme majority of cases.

I'd argue, at this level, you want coaches with that kind of attitude. You want coaches who want to prove something. Those are the coaches who drove programs forward. It sucks when they leave because kids don't commit to schools. They commit to coaches. So some of them get lost in it all. Kids on campus have a relationship with that coach and when he isn't there they may not want to be there. That's where your admin, and boosters, need to be aggressive in finding that next guy.

Simply wanting a coach that won't leave at this level often time means you're hiring a coach that won't consistently win, and have less upward drive.

Look at the longest tenured FCS coaches and look at what any of them have actually won. Stig is at 22 some years. Farley at 19. The guy from William and Mary guy from Maine before their most recent guy. Guys don't stay places for multiple decades unless they have the perfect situation for them (extremely rare) or they aren't good enough/don't have the drive to move anywhere else and the admin at that school is okay with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Again, I think most understand that a mid-major like SDSU will many times be a stepping stone to another job with more pay and in a more prestigious conference. I don't think that's the only kind of individual who can be successful or you target. I also don't believe SDSU is like most mid-major jobs with the support it gets. TJ stepped into an ideal situation and a payback in my opinion should have been to leave for a better job than UNLV and not just take the first cash grab. I think he accomplished the minimum to be expected with the talent he was given and did very little to leave the position in a better place. If a guy stays for just 3 years its probably because he was successful, but is it worth the mess it leaves in the aftermath? Would Sell have hired TJ if he had known he would stay just 3 years? I would hope not. I hope we stay away from the TJ type hires in the future as this kind of gutting of the program on a regular basis will kill the fan base. There are great coaches out there who will invest more in SDSU than TJ did. I think we could have handed the job to any of Nagy's former assistants and had the same or better success. I like the Hendo hire as he appears to be less "Hollywood" and more genuine.

Comment

Imagine how TJ's fate would have been different if the Milwaukee job would have worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                            Anyone who says they would turn down 5-6 million for 4-5 years of work is lying. Let's move past the TJ issue. He got a great deal that almost anyone in the world would have taken in a heartbeat. Lets focus on what Coach Hendo plans to do to rebuild.

Go Jacks!
                            On KWSN Justin Sell said that TJ had received multiple offers which T.J. kept Sell informed of. To me, it suggests T.J. could be more picky in his choices. The UNLV booster club is hardly the Jackrabbit Club. We don’t have the money bags to corrupt the program. UNLV does.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd View Post
                              Imagine how TJ's fate would have been different if the Milwaukee job would have worked out.
                              The guy who got the Milwaukee job left after a year to coach at Butler. Talent is talent. Butler is in a conference on par with the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                                The guy who got the Milwaukee job left after a year to coach at Butler. Talent is talent. Butler is in a conference on par with the MWC.
                                Not that it matters, but I would say the Big East is definitely a step up from the MWC. Maybe TJ would have gotten a better offer had he gone to Milwaukee first and it would have only taken him a year!

Comment

Working...
                                X