2019-20 Men's Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

What's the issue with fridel? Didnt get get a release from Wright state? Or is it academic reasons?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      What's the issue with fridel? Didnt get get a release from Wright state? Or is it academic reasons?
      I may be a bit naive, but it seems to me that Coach Nagy would not be pursuing players who were not making the grade academically. At this point in time, the chatter about grade eligibility seems unlikely and/or premature. Also, the assistance available and the peer pressure to make the grades would be more support for student athletes in Brookings. The release from WSU must be total if he is in the conversation as ready to play this year. 71 days until the first football game. There is too much time for thinking up reasons to worry about something.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Thought we put the Freidel issue to bed? I remember someone way back verified that he's an excellent student and unless Coach Nagy blocks him, there is no issue with his original commitment to WSU. He never enrolled in classes there. In an interview, Coach Nagy was not happy about how everything played out with Noah, but I also personally know the man and he's not a dick that would block a kid from playing. If there was tampering on Hendo's part, then I could possibly see him file a complaint with the NCAA but he's not going to mess with an 18 year old's basketball career.

As for Wingett, if the NCAA was consistent with their transfer waiver approvals and denials he would most likely get the thumbs up. However these things take forever, probably won't get an answer until the fall. Until then Hendo can't really comment on the situation other than they submitted paperwork and awaiting word. NCAA is always a coin flip, so Hendo isn't going to imply optimism or pessimism on this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
          Thought we put the Freidel issue to bed? I remember someone way back verified that he's an excellent student and unless Coach Nagy blocks him, there is no issue with his original commitment to WSU. He never enrolled in classes there. In an interview, Coach Nagy was not happy about how everything played out with Noah, but I also personally know the man and he's not a dick that would block a kid from playing. If there was tampering on Hendo's part, then I could possibly see him file a complaint with the NCAA but he's not going to mess with an 18 year old's basketball career.

As for Wingett, if the NCAA was consistent with their transfer waiver approvals and denials he would most likely get the thumbs up. However these things take forever, probably won't get an answer until the fall. Until then Hendo can't really comment on the situation other than they submitted paperwork and awaiting word. NCAA is always a coin flip, so Hendo isn't going to imply optimism or pessimism on this situation.
          If I understand Wingett's situation, Memphis has to officially acknowledge that they recruited over him and took away his scholarship so they could give it to a more talented player. Everyone realizes that is what happened, but I'm not sure Penny (or any other big-time coach) wants to say that on the record, thinking that opposing coaches could use that against them in future recruiting battles.

Comment

Too lazy to look back but someone here said he went to Noah's graduation and Noah graduated high academically in his class. I don't think there are any academic issues, but I could be dead wrong. I worry about other schools trying to get Noah to decommit from his LOI. Its against the NCAA rules but that does not mean much in todays world were everyone is above the law or act as if they were.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Potential issues... Take it with a grain of salt. Or a handful.
              Maybe a couple of tablespoons. The tone of Jackmd comments are larger than a grain of salt. Some one knows something we do not.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                FWIW both Freidel and Wingett were present and working the SDSU basketball camp this past week.

Also Brandon Key, Douglas Wilson, and Tray Buchanan
                Well there you go. What is the problem?

Comment

I'm more pumped than in Otz's first year. Think we'll be top three or four this year and real good for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Sorry. Didn't mean to do that. They were discussing Wingett and Freidel and their eligibility. Both a work in progress and neither assumed to be automatic. We've heard similar things about others that have joined the Jackrabbit program and every other program in the nation has issues like these. Coach Henderson told us Freidel is eligible to play this year, he said it doesn't mean he will play but he is eligible. I assume that means he may redshirt. He wouldn't say much about Wingett other than he was on campus and excited to join Coach Henderson who had recruited him previous to his signing with Memphis.

This weekend I was told Wingett is far from a done deal and there is still some uncertainty with Freidel. It made me feel a little unsettled. I'm powerless to have any effect on the ultimate outcome. So, perhaps it isn't even worth discussing. Point taken.
                    Zero uncertainty with Freidel. No idea where that came from. Simply no bearing behind comments about his initial eligibility.

As for Wingett, staff is optimistic he will be eligible right away but that is out of our control.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      Zero uncertainty with Freidel. No idea where that came from. Simply no bearing behind comments about his initial eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Must spread rep.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Friedel I was wondering it it had to do with his release from Wright state. I wouldn't be surprised if their turns out to be an issue.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Friedel I was wondering it it had to do with his release from Wright state. I wouldn't be surprised if their turns out to be an issue.
                            NO!!! NONE! Zero issues with his release from Wright State.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              NO!!! NONE! Zero issues with his release from Wright State.
                              Correct - I think there is even an interview out there somewhere where he states he got his release from Wright State - which is when he opened his recruitment back up.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X