Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Anyone want to venture a guess as to who will red shirt this year? With the uncertainty on the roster, it feels like we might need everyone tbh.

Here's my first crack at the roster:

PG - Key/King, Mims
    SG - Buchanan, Freidel
    SF - Arians, Scheierman?
    PF - Wilson, Fiegen
    C - Dentlinger, Dillon, Coburn?

Sit out - Wingett? (Maybe... unless Penny signs off saying he was basically cut...?)

It is a weird year. We have a lot of potential, but a lot of unproven players. The only proven players we have are Key and Arians. King, Dentlinger, and Dillon have some experience, but need to show improvements. I have high hopes for King, as I think he'll get plenty of opportunity to be more assertive this year. It seemed like when he got comfortable he really thrived, but he looked uncomfortable for most of the year. I just don't know if Dentlinger or Dillon can earn steady minutes, which is why I'm not sure if we can afford to have Coburn redshirt, assuming he's ready to go. Our best lineup might end up not involving a true Center anyway, like last year. Something like this could end up being the starting 5 imo:

PG Key
    SG King
    SF Buchanan or Freidel
    SF Arians
    PF Wilson

I'm really interested to see what Mims, Fiegen, Freidel, Scheierman, and Coburn look like. I have the most confidence in Freidel, but that's just because I'm the most familiar with him. Others could surprise me, which would be great.
    Just A WAG (Wild Assed Guess) of a depth chart:
    Pg- Key/O King/Mims
    SG - Buchanan/Friedel/O King
    SF Ariens/Friedel/Scheierman
    PF Wilson/Dillon/Fiegen
    C Dentlinger/Dillon/Coburn

Of course if Wingett gets a waiver, that'll change some things, most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      Just A WAG (Wild Assed Guess) of a depth chart:
      Pg- Key/O King/Mims
      SG - Buchanan/Friedel/O King
      SF Ariens/Friedel/Scheierman
      PF Wilson/Dillon/Fiegen
      C Dentlinger/Dillon/Coburn

Of course if Wingett gets a waiver, that'll change some things, most likely.
      You could have just said "Same".

Comment

You could have just said "Same".
        True.

I actually had Dillon down as starting 5, at first. But then I figured his positional versatility and put him at primary back up for both post spots.

The Wings are going to be really interesting. Pretty sure Arians has one locked down. Key returning should solidify the point.
        But The Buchanan/Friedel/Scheierman/Wingett quartet... that's a lot of (mostly young) Wing players.
        Buchanan - Jr.
        Arians - So
        Wingett R. Fr
        Fridel Fr
        Scheierman Fr.

O King has the athleticism to play a wing position as well. Going to be interesting.

Comment

Brandon Key and David Wingett have been added to the Jacks' official roster for 2019-2020. There's still room for a walk-on or two. And we're still short two assistant coaches.

https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Brandon Key and David Wingett have been added to the Jacks' official roster for 2019-2020. There's still room for a walk-on or two. And we're still short two assistant coaches.

https://gojacks.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

https://hoopdirt.com/juco-dirt-defen...ew-head-coach/

This article alludes to an assistant.

Comment

My projected starting lineup might change if Wingett becomes eligible for 2019-2020. But for now I'll stick with my prior guess:
              1 - Brandon Key
              2 - Tray Buchanan
              3 - Alex Ariens
              4 - Doug Wilson
              5 - Dillon Alou
              I'll also guess that in addition to Wingett, guard Owen King and wings Noah Freidel and Baylor Scheierman will be strongly in the mix for starting spots. Matt Dentlinger will back up or share time with Alou. Aaron Fiegen also will be available as a backup. Matt Mims is an X factor at guard, and Beu Brown will remain an enthusiastic backup. Owen Coburn is most likely to redshirt.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                My projected starting lineup might change if Wingett becomes eligible for 2019-2020. But for now I'll stick with my prior guess:
                1 - Brandon Key
                2 - Tray Buchanan
                3 - Alex Ariens
                4 - Doug Wilson
                5 - Dillon Alou
                I'll also guess that in addition to Wingett, guard Owen King and wings Noah Freidel and Baylor Scheierman will be strongly in the mix for starting spots. Matt Dentlinger will back up or share time with Alou. Aaron Fiegen also will be available as a backup. Matt Mims is an X factor at guard, and Beu Brown will remain an enthusiastic backup. Owen Coburn is most likely to redshirt.
                I agree with this. I don't think we saw what Alou Dillon is capable of and think he will make a large leap with more consistent playing time.

Comment

Starters
                  Key
                  Fridel
                  Arians
                  Wilson
                  Dentlinger
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I agree with this. I don't think we saw what Alou Dillon is capable of and think he will make a large leap with more consistent playing time.
                    FWIW on one of Otz's final radio shows, he said Dillon's best position is a stretch 4 type rather than a back to the basket post player.

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post

Here's another article that refers to Bryan Petersen leaving Kirkwood to become an assistant with the Jackrabbits.

He was a graduate assistant at Iowa State after playing for the Cyclones. He served one year under Greg McDermott and two years under Fred Hoiberg. His playing career included being a JUCO All-American with his two years at Kirkwood. Followed by two years in the starting lineup for the Cyclones.

His head coaching career started at age 25 as interim coach for Kirkwood. He was twice named the national coach of the year, including this last year. With his Iowa roots, he could be a valuable part of recruiting in that state.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        FWIW on one of Otz's final radio shows, he said Dillon's best position is a stretch 4 type rather than a back to the basket post player.
                        Well... that begs the question of why didn't Otz utilize him that way? It seemed like Dillon was pretty much strictly utilized on the block and was always SO tentative and uncomfortable. Here's to hoping Hendo brings the best out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post

Good find, Hip2.
                          You, too, Gopher.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

2019-20 Starting lineup:

1 - Scheierman (6'6")
                            2 - Wingett (6'7")
                            3 - Wilson (6'7")
                            4 - Dillion (6'8")
                            5 - Coburn (6'10")

Go big or go home!
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Well... that begs the question of why didn't Otz utilize him that way?
                              Probably because Daum spent the vast majority of his minutes out there

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                                Here's another article that refers to Bryan Petersen leaving Kirkwood to become an assistant with the Jackrabbits.

He was a graduate assistant at Iowa State after playing for the Cyclones. He served one year under Greg McDermott and two years under Fred Hoiberg. His playing career included being a JUCO All-American with his two years at Kirkwood. Followed by two years in the starting lineup for the Cyclones.

His head coaching career started at age 25 as interim coach for Kirkwood. He was twice named the national coach of the year, including this last year. With his Iowa roots, he could be a valuable part of recruiting in that state.
                                This is great news. Petersen will be a great addition to the coaching staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X