2019-20 Men's Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Guess the new staff did deserve a chance.

Comment

That's a good signing. I'm excited to see him in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros
        I

Oh you disagree with your one word post of “Huge”. If defense is the measure, IDK, the article does talk about Wingett defense. If it’s better than DJJ, then we will be better off. I too, am anxious to see Wingett play. IDK the enrollment of Winnebago High, but I would think might D1 or D2 where many of athletes lack size and talent, but Hendo apparently found and took time to check Out Wingett and formed a good relationship along the way. This is a good sign. To quote Filbert’s signature “I think we will be OK”.
        Wingett obviously did enough to impress Hardaway and Miller to get to Memphis and play before his injury. His bing HS video is impressive, kid has huge ups, a smooth release and a very quick first step.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Wingett obviously did enough to impress Hardaway and Miller to get to Memphis and play before his injury. His bing HS video is impressive, kid has huge ups, a smooth release and a very quick first step.
          Yes - if they saw enough to go after him we just landed a likely difference maker in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            I forgot about Penny Hardaway and Miller running Memphis. Penny played the part of the rat player in Blue Chips, but apparently his NBA experience is very valuable. Mike Miller probably help connect with SDSU. I dont know for certain, but if they got three top notch recruits coming in I can see them wanting Wingett to move on. I do hope we got a difference maker with Wingett.

Comment

Well looks like we got our shooter with the added benefit of him being 6-7 and athletic. Excited about this one.

Sure hope he can play next year. If the ncaa has any common sense a guy who sustained a fairly major injury and was likely asked to leave by his current school should be granted immediate release to play. We all know the ncaa does not use common sense so we will have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                Well looks like we got our shooter with the added benefit of him being 6-7 and athletic. Excited about this one.

Sure hope he can play next year. If the ncaa has any common sense a guy who sustained a fairly major injury and was likely asked to leave by his current school should be granted immediate release to play. We all know the ncaa does not use common sense so we will have to see.
                According to a news article out of Nebraska, he was granted a medical hardship so he will have 4 years of eligibility left but will have to sit out next year due to transfer rules. Unless there is a petition in to see if he can play next year.

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/rec...87441cd42.html

Comment

Here's a nice article about Wingett from when he signed with Memphis. LINK

Harris noted that Wingett is more athletic than he appears at first glance, with the ability to run the floor, finish at the rim and score off the catch-and-shoot. He’s also developed a Dirk Nowitzki-like stepback jumper in recent years.

“He’s a matchup nightmare,” Harris said. “He’s tough enough to guard someone in the post up to a four, but a four can not guard him, most threes can not guard him and he’s too tall for a two.”

Comment

Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                      Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.
                      Hair-line leg fracture.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post

It was a usd fan who made the comment about Freidel. Best to ignore when they try to stir things up

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          With the timing of his announcing he was transferring coinciding with Memphis needing to free up scholarships to sign three extremely highly rated recruits and transfers, it is likely he was "encouraged" to transfer by Penny. Hopefully that would be considered by the NCAA if a waiver to play right away is asked for.
                          I believe this will be considered by the NCAA when he applies for a hardship waiver. I believe they call it a "run off waiver". This seems like a pretty obscure recruiting website but they do mention it. So I'd say there is a decent chance he could be eligible next season. That would be ideal.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            It was a usd fan who made the comment about Freidel. Best to ignore when they try to stir things up
                            I seen the study room or whatever its called and it is being used by our student athletes. When they had the academic meetings about going D1, I sat in on one. Giving needed help was a impressive goal, or at least I thought so. Not everyone graduates from high school Magna cuma Lauda, and tutoring is needed. I trust Noah Friedel will take advantage of this valuable service, something we did not offer or could not offer as a D2 member. The SA was like anyone else sink or swim. I remember an Algebra class where I struggled, but the instructor offer a help class and I took advantage of it and was the benefactor. I see nothing wrong with tutoring SA who need the help. I believe non-SA can now get tutoring help so its no big deal. Only fools are those who do not take advantage of the service. yoteforlife is okay guy.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              I believe this will be considered by the NCAA when he applies for a hardship waiver. I believe they call it a "run off waiver". This seems like a pretty obscure recruiting website but they do mention it. So I'd say there is a decent chance he could be eligible next season. That would be ideal.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm
                              Sounds like it would need to have Penny go on the record and admit he basically ran off a player to sign a better player. Happens a lot, but I'm not sure a coach wants to be on the record admitting it. Seems like something other coaches would use in the recruiting process.

Comment

I believe the coyote fan’s reference had to do with Friedel’s eligibility because he decommited from wright state. Of course he never stepped foot on campus and is eligible right away, as has already been reported. I think we can stop speculating about his ability in the classroom.

Comment

Working...
                                X