Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Exactly....How are we ever to win another game since Nate Wolters graduated? How will we ever win another game without Mike Daum? It is certainly way too early for doom and gloom even though someone stomped on our rabbit tail. Injuries and defections happen every year and nearly every team. Coaching is more of a premium this next season and I will assume the right coaching staff is in place which is only missing the lead piece from a year ago. My 2 cents worth. Cry on.
    Good, comforting point, OldHare. I once worried that the Jacks had peaked out with Lee Colburn and Dave Thomas. And then maybe with Mark Tetzlaff or Austin Hansen or Jordan Dykstra. But, no. Over the long term, the Jacks have just kept getting better and better.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Good, comforting point, OldHare. I once worried that the Jacks had peaked out with Lee Colburn and Dave Thomas. And then maybe with Mark Tetzlaff or Austin Hansen or Jordan Dykstra. But, no. Over the long term, the Jacks have just kept getting better and better.
      Now that is some old school Jacks BBall there!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
        I know some are critical of TJ's recruiting and relatively bare cupboard he's leaving but if you look at the quality v quantity ... look a the attention guys like DJJ and Grlll are getting now ... pretty impressive that SDSU was even in the game with these guys.
        Part of recruiting is roster construction. Tj got a D in that category. Yes he hit on 1 recruit for sure and grill possibly but that isn’t all recruiting is about. He had three years to get a big guy with daum and failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Seriously, no Lingenfelter/Winzenberg reference?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
            Part of recruiting is roster construction. Tj got a D in that category. Yes he hit on 1 recruit for sure and grill possibly but that isn’t all recruiting is about. He had three years to get a big guy with daum and failed.
            Makes one think that maybe they didn't want a second big on the floor with Mike in the main line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              I remember the Mark T era as a young lad. If memory serves me right I think Mark Schultz was our tough guy and a hell of a player too. Other than Tom Macdonald I can't remember the others. My spelling is likely off too.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                I thought I remebered hearing he was offered before TJ but turned it down. I could be wrong though.
                This is correct.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Does anybody know what other offers DJJ had when he signed with us? I know he went o Sunrise Academy after high school, but I wasn’t sure if that was in hopes of getting better scholarship offers or if he was ineligible academically out of high school. No doubt he has taken this opportunity and made the most of it, but I’m not sure he had many other schools recruiting him when he signed here.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    They were coming next, followed by Steve Brown and Chris White.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Just curious, what's your prediction for the team next year?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Teams lose players every year and the remaining players are forced to take on different roles. Just because Arians or O. King didn't score a ton this year doesn't mean they aren't capable scorers.
                      I honestly have no idea. I just know that points are going to have to come from somewhere consistently. Wilson and Buchanan seem to be our best bets for scoring threats tbh. Having 2 transfers end up being the main offensive threats isn't unheard of, but at this point there's just so much unknown. Yes, every roster has turnover, but not every roster loses:

1. their head coach
                      2. a top 10 all time NCAA scorer
                      3. a high P5 talented player
                      4. 69 pts per game of offense
                      5. 4 out of the only 5 players that averaged over 17 min/game
                      6. the highest regarded recruit we've ever seen

Having said all that, I have no prediction for this season. Too many unknowns, plus the summit league won't be that strong.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                        I remember the Mark T era as a young lad. If memory serves me right I think Mark Schultz was our tough guy and a hell of a player too. Other than Tom Macdonald I can't remember the others. My spelling is likely off too.
                        Arvis Young off the Bench!

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                          Does anybody know what other offers DJJ had when he signed with us? I know he went o Sunrise Academy after high school, but I wasn’t sure if that was in hopes of getting better scholarship offers or if he was ineligible academically out of high school. No doubt he has taken this opportunity and made the most of it, but I’m not sure he had many other schools recruiting him when he signed here.
                          When TJ was an assistant at Washington, he discovered DJJ and followed his career to Sunrise, and made many trips to Kansas to watch him at Sunrise. I dont recall DJJ getting any other offers, so his short career at SDSU is his record.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                            I know some are critical of TJ's recruiting and relatively bare cupboard he's leaving but if you look at the quality v quantity ... look a the attention guys like DJJ and Grlll are getting now ... pretty impressive that SDSU was even in the game with these guys.
                            I look at what shape SDSU is in at the post TJ era to judge his recruiting for SDSU.
                            He can recruit great players. He did get DJJ and Grill (possibly) to come to SDSU. He was known as a recruiter when he came here and he did hit a couple of home runs.
                            He does have some other players that should be solid players. I think Arians and O. King will be good. Some of the other players that he left here could be good, too.
                            He has been here for about 3 years and he will only leave about 30% of the playing time for next season. DJJ is the wild card. If he stayed, SDSU would have just under half of their playing time back.
                            If TJ was so sold on his other recruits, I think he would have played them more this season. Why run 5 1/2 guys into the ground if there are other options? Maybe since he is a rookie coach he just didn't realize that it is a long season and your players need some rest once in a while.
                            SDSU did have players like Daum and Nate so they have had players as talented as DJJ before TJ got here and they will get them again. Sure would have been nice to see Grill play though.

This makes it sound like I am against TJ. I think he kept the train rolling when he was here. If he would have stayed at SDSU; they would be a league favorite again next year with DJJ (if he would have stayed), Grill, Wilson and the others. He decided to move and and the team was gutted because of that. Only two players transferred but there is not much experience or depth. He wasn't here long enough to have a deep well rounded roster but one player transfers and the team is left with this years mostly unproven freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              I look at what shape SDSU is in at the post TJ era to judge his recruiting for SDSU.
                              He can recruit great players. He did get DJJ and Grill (possibly) to come to SDSU. He was known as a recruiter when he came here and he did hit a couple of home runs.
                              He does have some other players that should be solid players. I think Arians and O. King will be good. Some of the other players that he left here could be good, too.
                              He has been here for about 3 years and he will only leave about 30% of the playing time for next season. DJJ is the wild card. If he stayed, SDSU would have just under half of their playing time back.
                              If TJ was so sold on his other recruits, I think he would have played them more this season. Why run 5 1/2 guys into the ground if there are other options? Maybe since he is a rookie coach he just didn't realize that it is a long season and your players need some rest once in a while.
                              SDSU did have players like Daum and Nate so they have had players as talented as DJJ before TJ got here and they will get them again. Sure would have been nice to see Grill play though.

This makes it sound like I am against TJ. I think he kept the train rolling when he was here. If he would have stayed at SDSU; they would be a league favorite again next year with DJJ (if he would have stayed), Grill, Wilson and the others. He decided to move and and the team was gutted because of that. Only two players transferred but there is not much experience or depth. He wasn't here long enough to have a deep well rounded roster but one player transfers and the team is left with this years mostly unproven freshmen.
                              I would agree with your post and add that TJ is in a different world now. The big salary increase comes with the responibilty of turning around a bigger program. He has five or six current players on the transfer portal and his main job now is to convince these guys to stay. When you look at the transfer portal, there are tons of people looking for a better deal and a trip to the final four. Its weird to say the least. As far as looking back at the Summit League for transfers, I just dont see TJ doing that. The SL is behind him, and to last three years at UNLV is going to take some doing. That UNLV AD is all lovie-dovie now but wait until he has a losing season. Its about business. If I had been TJ, I would have passed on this UNLV Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                Arvis Young off the Bench!
                                I thought Arvis Young and Derrick Wordlaw were the other two starters with guys like Paul Sentieri, Bob Ladoceur and Kyle Adams off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X