2019-20 Men's Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Tk is a highlight machine. Djj was a huge shot and TK dunk was impressive. Frankly tks block agaislnst usd in the summit tourney a year or 2 ago was probably the biggest play or highlight I can recall the last few years. Totally went up and lebroned the usd guy. I'm to lazy to find it but YouTube it if you dont recall.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

TK didn’t get near enough recognition in his time here. Zero all conferences I believe? I’d venture to say we lose 5-6 more games this year without TK. Elite toughness on a team that severely lacked it. Jenkins got all the publicity because he scored and that’s the only stat that matters to the majority of people.

Is Jenkins play better? Probably. But I’m ok with this given the above.

The fact that Jenkins would even question this given the incredibly unselfish teammate King was takes a little of the sting of Jenkins leaving for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
        TK didn’t get near enough recognition in his time here. Zero all conferences I believe? I’d venture to say we lose 5-6 more games this year without TK. Elite toughness on a team that severely lacked it. Jenkins got all the publicity because he scored and that’s the only stat that matters to the majority of people.

Is Jenkins play better? Probably. But I’m ok with this given the above.

The fact that Jenkins would even question this given the incredibly unselfish teammate King was takes a little of the sting of Jenkins leaving for me.
        That's my first thought why wouldn't he congratulate his teammate. But when you play hero ball that's not unexpected. Djj is a great shooter and scorer when he gets hot but I worry he is to slow and short for Gonzaga or any other top 25 team. Can he score for them. Sire can. Can he learn to play defense night in and night out. That's gonna be. Challenge for him. He is sort of like wolters that way. Not flat out fast but quick enough with a first step. I would love to have him back since he can clearly tear it up in the summit.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I believe DJJ is one of the best offensive players in SDSU history, but I don't think he is one of the best players. He seemed to get lost at times on defense, wasn't much of a passer, and turned the ball over frequently.

A GREAT shooter though, and great clutch player as well. He definitely helped win games, and was fun to watch.

But if his heart isn't into staying here, I don't begrudge his right to pursue other options.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
            Against a team that won a game in the NCAA tournament.
            Good for Saul Philips, he pull off an upset against Oklahoma. How did he do in the MAC? I see Big Sky Idaho State passed on Saul Phillips in favor of a D2 guy. That kind cheapens the big dance win. DJJ’s mid-court shot could not have happened in a better place and a better time. Who lead the game for 39:59 minutes?
            Last edited by Nidaros; 04-23-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              I believe DJJ is one of the best offensive players in SDSU history, but I don't think he is one of the best players. He seemed to get lost at times on defense, wasn't much of a passer, and turned the ball over frequently.

A GREAT shooter though, and great clutch player as well. He definitely helped win games, and was fun to watch.

But if his heart isn't into staying here, I don't begrudge his right to pursue other options.
              Well stated. I was very impressed with DJJ, but the play of year is a tough one to pick. I have slim hopes that DJJ hangs around but judging from the tone of his tweets, it’s not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Good for Saul Philips, he pull off an upset against Oklahoma. How did he do in the MAC? I see Big Sky Idaho State passed on Saul Phillips in favor of a D2 guy. That kind cheapens the big dance win. DJJ’s mid-court shot could not have happened in a better place and a better time. Who lead the game for 39:59 minutes?
                He isnt talking about their win vs Okie. He is talking about their win this year in the play in game against another mid major.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

This is about as well as I could put it. The only question would be the clutch player. He did come up great in many games but there are some games he didn't. He wasn't bad but to be a great clutch player you should finish a little better against Florida Gulf Coast, Tulane, Texas and Nevada. In close losses, he came up big in the second half against Omaha and Western Illinois but the other close losses he wasn't clutch. Not bad but not clutch.
                  In the 4 games listed about SDSU lost by 6, 6, 4 and 4 points. He was 14-33 FG, 6-18 3-PT FG, 6 assists, 11 TO's and 12 rebounds in the second halves.
                  I don't remember the Memphis game so that might be another good game for him.

As far as the play of the year, it's like a MVP vote. Do you go with either Daum's 3000 point or his last basket (they are records)? Do you go TK for the steal and dunk? Do you go DJJ for his half court, 3 point shot at the buzzer? It is all a matter of opinion.
                  I have made a shot from mid court but I have not made that soccer kick or a dunk but does that matter?

DJJ is a good player and I hope he comes back to SDSU. SDSU could use him and, in my opinion, he would probably be better at SDSU. Some of the other schools might not play him anywhere near as much or let him shoot as much. Whatever he decides is up to him and I hope he does well.
                  Last edited by 91jack; 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    He isnt talking about their win vs Okie. He is talking about their win this year in the play in game against another mid major.
                    Okay HBC win a big deal? Some of those teams in the 1950’s where very good because the SEC discrimination against black players. Now the SEC has mostly black players. The HBC no longer have that good talent that they once had. In 1957 or 1958, then known as Tennessee A&I now Tennessee State came to Brookings and upper Midwest. They had a plAyer by name of Dick Barnett, who went on to play for LA Lakers. Every thing Dick threw up was net and and probably beyond the three point line. I remember scoring the game and Barnett had 40 points and if the three point had been in effect, it might have been 55. Dick Barnett is the best player I have seen to darken the doors of the Barn. I missed the 1961 game where Don Jacobson was matched against Prairie View A&M, Zelmo Beatty another NBA star. Teams like North Carolina Central no longer have the shot at the NBA future talent like they once had. So this year’s NDSU win is very hallow. I digress.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Okay HBC win a big deal? Some of those teams in the 1950’s where very good because the SEC discrimination against black players. Now the SEC has mostly black players. The HBC no longer have that good talent that they once had. In 1957 or 1958, then known as Tennessee A&I now Tennessee State came to Brookings and upper Midwest. They had a plAyer by name of Dick Barnett, who went on to play for LA Lakers. Every thing Dick threw up was net and and probably beyond the three point line. I remember scoring the game and Barnett had 40 points and if the three point had been in effect, it might have been 55. Dick Barnett is the best player I have seen to darken the doors of the Barn. I missed the 1961 game where Don Jacobson was matched against Prairie View A&M, Zelmo Beatty another NBA star. Teams like North Carolina Central no longer have the shot at the NBA future talent like they once had. So this year’s NDSU win is very hallow. I digress.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                        Gee I am sorry to bore you with history. I am sure it was before your time. So sorry!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Yes, because comments by a few, that you don't agree with, makes our "whole fan base look like idiots". I love it when you get pissed off on this forum and start acting like judge and jury. Get over yourself already.
                          It's not that I don't agree with those comments. I am all for a good debate with someone even if I don't agree with them. Whether you like it or not, comments like that do make the poster look like an idiot, and by association, the SDSU fan base gets a bad rap because of a few loose cannons. I'm not "pissed off" and never am in regards to comments made here. You can call it being judge and jury, or whatever you want... I'm going to call out a bad post, especially when it makes us all look bad. Go hang out on Twitter with that garbage, and make your account look like you're a USD fan at least so you don't get associated with the majority of SDSU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            Thank You for the correction, I misread the post. As someone said NDSU win helped us get more money. I suppose, NDSU deserves a thank you. We did get a good game out of Southern U earlier in the season. So maybe the HBC’s are not all weak, but do get some good talent. I watch the play in game, it was close. Btw, I did not vote on the play of the year. They were all great.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                              I’m surprised getting play of the year recognition is such an important achievement for DJJ.
                              How do you develop locker room cred with your new teammates? "So, you're from where? South Dakota State? Where's that? Oh, and you couldn't even get play of the year for that team? Good luck making it here..."

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                                How do you develop locker room cred with your new teammates? "So, you're from where? South Dakota State? Where's that? Oh, and you couldn't even get play of the year for that team? Good luck making it heIre..."
                                Now how would they know about not getting the Play of the year award without reading this board? If they are reading this board, they do know where SDSU is located. I am guessing you are being sarcastic. My slim hopes of DJJ returning to SDSU rest on the playing time offered by those other schools. If DJJ choose Gonzaga, playing time will not come without earning it. Others mention that DJJ is not all that great on defense and this will give him riding the pine time as well. DJJ moving on is a big big decision which is not an easy one to make.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 04-24-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X