Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
    The NCAA has occasionally granted immediate eligibility when a player's coach is fired or the team is ineligible for postseason the following year. However, watching the transfer scene the last couple of years, I swear the NCAA just flips a coin, "Heads you're eligible, tails you have to sit a year." There have been some real puzzling decisions on who has had to sit and who has not.

If I was DJJ, I would go to Gonzaga if Few is offering a scholarship. Of his top 7, that is the best program and coach, plus Gonzaga has quietly become the best Transfer-U since Hoiberg left Iowa State. And IMO he can play at any of those schools on his list.
    When a player tries to get a waiver for immediate eligibility, I think their original school has to sign off on it. Marcus Carr transferred from Pitt to Minnesota and was one of the few who applied for a waiver that did not get it. Word was that Pitt would not agree and the waiver was denied.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      When a player tries to get a waiver for immediate eligibility, I think their original school has to sign off on it. Marcus Carr transferred from Pitt to Minnesota and was one of the few who applied for a waiver that did not get it. Word was that Pitt would not agree and the waiver was denied.
      I don't think the school they are leaving has anything to do with immediate eligibility. They can decide to not release them from their scholarship which prevents them from earning athletic aid the following year. But that can be appealed by a independent board of non-athletics faculty at prior school. Usually, this doesn't happen and if it does, appeals are often won.

Immediate eligibility seems to be granted (by NCAA and/or conference office) if there is any sort of hardship. What is "hardship" - that's where things have gotten much easier to be given a waiver to play right away. Seems to be easier now that ever. Seems now if you can document some other student has looked at you in an offensive way, you have been through a "hardship". "Closer to home" has also been considered "hardship" which I'm guessing is the route David will take to try and play right away.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        I don't think the school they are leaving has anything to do with immediate eligibility. They can decide to not release them from their scholarship which prevents them from earning athletic aid the following year. But that can be appealed by a independent board of non-athletics faculty at prior school. Usually, this doesn't happen and if it does, appeals are often won.

Immediate eligibility seems to be granted (by NCAA and/or conference office) if there is any sort of hardship. What is "hardship" - that's where things have gotten much easier to be given a waiver to play right away. Seems to be easier now that ever. Seems now if you can document some other student has looked at you in an offensive way, you have been through a "hardship". "Closer to home" has also been considered "hardship" which I'm guessing is the route David will take to try and play right away.
        I would agree on all this. You see kids post all the time "I have been granted my release" on Twitter or IG but still have to sit. Most schools are going to grant the "Release" otherwise they would not be able to use the scholarship for another player, even if they want to be A-Holes and make the transferring player's life hard. The "Hardship" angle is where they get immediate eligibility and that can be defined (as well as denied) in so many different ways that there is not black and white definition. It's all gray area. Now in DJJ's case, if his mom or dad were terminally ill and he transferred to Gonzaga, WSU, or Oregon he'd maybe have a chance. Watching the transfer scene, your best bet for immediate eligibility (in not "Real" hardship exists) is to leave if your coach is fired. I've seen a lot of kids play right away in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Other than the relationships developed with other incoming recruits.
          Perhaps. To me it seems those relationships are more driven by social media. It isn't like these incoming guys have spent a ton of time together.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
            I would agree on all this. You see kids post all the time "I have been granted my release" on Twitter or IG but still have to sit. Most schools are going to grant the "Release" otherwise they would not be able to use the scholarship for another player, even if they want to be A-Holes and make the transferring player's life hard. The "Hardship" angle is where they get immediate eligibility and that can be defined (as well as denied) in so many different ways that there is not black and white definition. It's all gray area. Now in DJJ's case, if his mom or dad were terminally ill and he transferred to Gonzaga, WSU, or Oregon he'd maybe have a chance. Watching the transfer scene, your best bet for immediate eligibility (in not "Real" hardship exists) is to leave if your coach is fired. I've seen a lot of kids play right away in that situation.
            If a player paid his way at a new school, could he "walk on" and play basketball?
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              If a player paid his way at a new school, could he "walk on" and play basketball?
              No, they still have to be granted a release from NCAA to forego their one year transfer penalty. Regardless if they are paying their own way or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                He would still have to sit. Happened to Keaton Moffit when he transferred up from USF and was just a walk-on

Comment

Any update on what Krueger's transfer intentions are? I like his game and was hoping Hendo can convince him to stay.
                  He is no longer listed on the roster.

Comment

https://twitter.com/worldstardave/st...268752896?s=21

Someone needs to let Jenkins know it’s because he isn’t a Jackrabbit anymore.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      https://twitter.com/worldstardave/st...268752896?s=21

Someone needs to let Jenkins know itÂ’s because he isnÂ’t a Jackrabbit anymore.
                      Meh, I think DJJ has a point. It's hard to argue against his half court shot that beat the buzzer and the Bison in Fargo as the best individual play of SDSU's 18-19 basketball season in which he was a Jackrabbit.

At the same time, there is no need for him to gripe about it on social media. People are going to take his departure differently, and some are going to feel jilted. Our fan base's reaction has been rather tame compared to what he would receive if he voluntarily left one of those big programs that he is currently being courted by. Best to brush this one off in private, imo.

Personally, I enjoyed watching David the last two years and felt he represented the university well in him time here and wish him nothing but the best.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Meh, I think DJJ has a point. It's hard to argue against his half court shot that beat the buzzer and the Bison in Fargo as the best individual play of SDSU's 18-19 basketball season in which he was a Jackrabbit.

At the same time, there is no need for him to gripe about it on social media. People are going to take his departure differently, and some are going to feel jilted. Our fan base's reaction has been rather tame compared to what he would receive if he voluntarily left one of those big programs that he is currently being courted by. Best to brush this one off in private, imo.

Personally, I enjoyed watching David the last two years and felt he represented the university well in him time here and wish him nothing but the best.
                        I wonder if he needs help packing his bags? Bye, bye.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          I wonder if he needs help packing his bags? Bye, bye.
                          Stop. His coach abandoned him. Don't be a terrible fan/person.

Jenkins has a legit gripe, his shot should be on that list. It's a tough spot for SDSU though, because they don't want to give the award to a player that's leaving before graduation. It's a bad look considering SDSU is one of the schools still in the running supposedly, but I think they know just as well as us, he's gone (which again, I don't blame him for).

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Jenkins has a legit gripe, his shot should be on that list. It's a tough spot for SDSU though, because they don't want to give the award to a player that's leaving before graduation. It's a bad look considering SDSU is one of the schools still in the running supposedly, but I think they know just as well as us, he's gone (which again, I don't blame him for).
                            If he's going to play the role of drama queen on social media then he's gonna have to put on his big boy pants and handle comments like mine. His coach abandoned him but the school that paid his scholarship the past two years and the fan base that treated him like a king did not.

You don't get it both ways - I don't care how old you are. He's in for a rude awakening wherever he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

His coach abandoned him? He is abandoning the rest of his team. Cry me a river! Jenkins had an opportunity to go down as one of the all time greats at SDSU and perhaps threaten Daum's scoring record. Good kid and wish him well, but will be interesting to see how his game evolves with a team members that also expect to get their shots.

Comment

I’ll take TKs dunk, way better than a half court shot.

Others not mentioned: Daum’s 3000th, the women’s sweet 16, Mikey’s snow hurdle, Cade’s cannon catch...heck, Pierre and CJ has great runs too.

DJJ made a lucky half court shot to win against a team we should’ve beat by 20.

Comment

Working...
                                X