Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.
    Regarding Friedel's eligibility there is a twitter video yote fans are hinting about (go to yote board smack section), the kids got a little swagger, as he does have Armour roots, LOL. BTW the yotes have some real losers floating around in the twitter cesspool.

Comment

We all need to just relax a little bit as Aaron Rodgers would say.

Obviously, we lost as much as any team out there would lose from one year to the next. That happened for a couple reasons. First, we were lucky to get a sixth year for Flatten due to the injuries he dealt with. While that was great for the team last year and he had a fantastic year, it wasn't great for player development. So, we graduated three seniors who all had tons of experience. Then the coaching change happens and we lose Jenkins too. So, the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to players with experience (we lost 83% of last year's offense) but we have a lot of really good players that either are incoming freshmen, transfers, or redshirt freshmen.

Even had Jenkins stayed we would have probably experienced a drop off. He's gone and best of luck to him. I think he chose wisely in picking UNLV. Coach Otz's style of play fits DJJ. I still scratch my head a little about him being willing to sit out a year. That would have to suck. It's his choice, he made it. End of story.

I'm optimistic that with Coach Hendo that we will get significantly better on defense next year. Have to! That is how they will have to compete. My thought is next year will resemble the year we brought in Parks and Marshall. It probably isn't going to be pretty for a while but come conference time they will be very competitive.

If nothing else, the last couple weeks with Friedel and Wingett choosing to come to SDSU that this is still a very desirable place to be for both recruits and transfers.

The sky is not falling. It never was. Change happens and it is scary. This program is in great hands and is going to continue as a mid-major force. Looking forward to seeing if any other additions are made before the end of summer.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        We all need to just relax a little bit as Aaron Rodgers would say.

Obviously, we lost as much as any team out there would lose from one year to the next. That happened for a couple reasons. First, we were lucky to get a sixth year for Flatten due to the injuries he dealt with. While that was great for the team last year and he had a fantastic year, it wasn't great for player development. So, we graduated three seniors who all had tons of experience. Then the coaching change happens and we lose Jenkins too. So, the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to players with experience (we lost 83% of last year's offense) but we have a lot of really good players that either are incoming freshmen, transfers, or redshirt freshmen.

Even had Jenkins stayed we would have probably experienced a drop off. He's gone and best of luck to him. I think he chose wisely in picking UNLV. Coach Otz's style of play fits DJJ. I still scratch my head a little about him being willing to sit out a year. That would have to suck. It's his choice, he made it. End of story.

I'm optimistic that with Coach Hendo that we will get significantly better on defense next year. Have to! That is how they will have to compete. My thought is next year will resemble the year we brought in Parks and Marshall. It probably isn't going to be pretty for a while but come conference time they will be very competitive.

If nothing else, the last couple weeks with Friedel and Wingett choosing to come to SDSU that this is still a very desirable place to be for both recruits and transfers.

The sky is not falling. It never was. Change happens and it is scary. This program is in great hands and is going to continue as a mid-major force. Looking forward to seeing if any other additions are made before the end of summer.

SUPERBUNNY
        Agree with this.

I think a positive with Coach Henderson, is that recruiting wins... especially in Basketball... if your 5 are better than the others, you're going to win more than you lose.

Coach Henderson is a Super Personable guy. He just is. Kids will love him. They will love meeting him, he will win over parents, he'll definitely be a guy who can "win" in the living room.

I don't know what will happen this coming season... but I'm not as down as many seem to be, and I'm not putting my eggs in the basket of this season to judge things. Give him some time, and see what happens.

Comment

I'm sure we'll have some struggles in non-conference, but I'm excited about the potential for this team. I think it will resemble the White/Dykstra/Carlson/Bittle/Horstman/Larson team of 13-14 where we had a ton of length and guys who can shoot from just about every position. Sure we lost a lot, but I think we've got plenty of talent and should still be a challenger for a top two seed come tourney time.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
            I believe the coyote fan’s reference had to do with Friedel’s eligibility because he decommited from wright state. Of course he never stepped foot on campus and is eligible right away, as has already been reported. I think we can stop speculating about his ability in the classroom.
            Student Athlete always have a right to change their mind and all reports are that Noah Freidel followed all the required procedures. As you said he never set foot on campus after his official visit, so there is nothing there to question in my opinion. I have no clue of his academic record but this has to be checked by SDSU compliance and there is no scholarship offer if the prospect does not meet the requirements. Again he apparently met these requirements. I think Noah should be given the opportunity to succeed which I think he will. Those Armour roots will give him swagger. We need that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              Wingett obviously did enough to impress Hardaway and Miller to get to Memphis and play before his injury. His bing HS video is impressive, kid has huge ups, a smooth release and a very quick first step.
              So he seems like a Jordan Dykstra Version 2 type player.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I believe this will be considered by the NCAA when he applies for a hardship waiver. I believe they call it a "run off waiver". This seems like a pretty obscure recruiting website but they do mention it. So I'd say there is a decent chance he could be eligible next season. That would be ideal.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm
                Not only is that type of waiver just about the only way he will play next season, I think it's also the only way he ends up playing four seasons at SDSU. I just don't think that article about him getting four seasons of playing time is correct. I'm sure he got the medical redshirt waiver for this previous season because it was a clear cut case. But choosing to transfer is usually a voluntary decision, and the NCAA typically doesn't do waivers for those. So if he sits this coming season, I think you only get him for three; if he plays, you get him for four. But I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                  Not only is that type of waiver just about the only way he will play next season, I think it's also the only way he ends up playing four seasons at SDSU. I just don't think that article about him getting four seasons of playing time is correct. I'm sure he got the medical redshirt waiver for this previous season because it was a clear cut case. But choosing to transfer is usually a voluntary decision, and the NCAA typically doesn't do waivers for those. So if he sits this coming season, I think you only get him for three; if he plays, you get him for four. But I've been wrong before.
                  Agreed. If he has to sit this year, there is no way knowing (right now) if he'd be granted a 6th year of eligibility.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    So he seems like a Jordan Dykstra Version 2 type player.
                    If by version 2 you mean upgraded rather significantly in terms of quickness and hops... then I can sort of see it, not really though, this kid is more athletic for sure. I think the haircut similarity is leading you to that conclusion more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      If by version 2 you mean upgraded rather significantly in terms of quickness and hops... then I can sort of see it, not really though, this kid is more athletic for sure. I think the haircut similarity is leading you to that conclusion more than anything else.
                      Version 2 is always the upgrade. Somebody didnt grow up a computer nerd and it really shows. Ha. I think it was more his overall build combined with the ability to shoot.

Speaking of Jordan...was he the first "big time" recruit that the Jacks had? I had this discussion over a few too many vodka tonics last weekend.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        Wingett obviously did enough to impress Hardaway and Miller to get to Memphis and play before his injury. His bing HS video is impressive, kid has huge ups, a smooth release and a very quick first step.
                        I saw his HS video too, very quick. I am impressed.

Comment

If he has to sit this year he will use his redshirt. Last year he was granted a medical redshirt because of his injury. Medical Redshirt and the typical Redshirt can both be used. Example A Flatten. The only difference is his medial redshirt was granted prior to his actual redshirt being used.

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          Agreed. If he has to sit this year, there is no way knowing (right now) if he'd be granted a 6th year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                            If he has to sit this year he will use his redshirt. Last year he was granted a medical redshirt because of his injury. Medical Redshirt and the typical Redshirt can both be used. Example A Flatten. The only difference is his medial redshirt was granted prior to his actual redshirt being used.
                            The NCAA gives you a 5 year window to complete your 4 years of eligibility. You don't automatically get a redshirt on top of a medical redshirt without applying for a 6th year when that time comes. Not saying he wouldn't get it, just saying the NCAA doesn't hand out 6th years in advance...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              Version 2 is always the upgrade. Somebody didnt grow up a computer nerd and it really shows. Ha. I think it was more his overall build combined with the ability to shoot.

Speaking of Jordan...was he the first "big time" recruit that the Jacks had? I had this discussion over a few too many vodka tonics last weekend.
                              From a "Recruiting Site" perspective, Yes. Believe ESPN rated him a 3-Star. Chad & Tony showed up on a couple sites but nothing major. Obviously all the "Experts" missed on Nate as in hindsight he should have been the Highest Rated. Daum was an extremely late bloomer that needed a redshirt year to improve his body to play D1 hoops so from High Recruiting perspective he wouldn't even make the top 5. Klink once told me that when he got to campus and played summer ball, he didn't think Mike would last a year at his current state which says a lot about Mike and his commitment to busting his tail to become a big time college hoopster.

As far as comparisons between Wingett & JD, there are some similarities but (i.e. Height & Shooting Ability) but Jordan was beefier and also played on the Block (PF & C). DW looks more like a big wing with more dribble drive tendencies vs Jordan (SF & Stretch 4). Either way I like what the highlights show, very intriguing prospect for Hendo & Co. Now lets cross our fingers that he can get a waiver to play right away.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                                Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.

I went to Tea’s graduation last weekend and he had a * by his name for having good grades. I heard Noah is very smart but getting him to class is so sometimes difficult. He will be fine. He was a senior. It was his last chance to really screw off before life gets serious.
                                It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Working...
                                X