Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
    I'm with all the guys who really lost all respect for TJ. It's very obvious that he simply used not only SDSU, but the players as well. How do the parents of the kids that he did recruit or is currently recruiting feel about this? There is no way they can think that he is looking at their best interests as STUDENT athletes, he is simply trying to get to the top as fast as he can. In zimmers article from today he said something to the point that if we aren't hiring a guy that is looking to advance beyond SDSU we aren't hiring the right person. I strongly disagree with that. A guy like Wilber or Doty from alcester might stay at SDSU for the long run. Maybe Hendo will be like that as well. Hopefully this whole TJ fiasco was a big learning experience for Sell, the best looking candidate with the most potential might not be the best answer for SDSU if they are simply looking to move on as quick as possible with no second thoughts as to what he leaves behind. I must admit that I have often been critical of Stig and his coaching decidions, but there is no way in hell he would ever do anything close to this like TJ has done to the basketball program. Suddenly have a new found respect and appreciation for Stig and Aaron Johnson
    Agree

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
      I wonder if Mooney having the success he’s had works against the Summitt league as players like him and DJJ can see the greater possibilities?
      There is NO DOUBT about that. I think social media is wrecking a lot of out society too. And I am part of that problem as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        Looks like reality is beginning to set in? And I wouldn't knock the one guy that has been/still is loyal to SDSU's program after 13-14 years. But maybe I am getting old, or old. When I give my word I keep it. If TJ is half the coach/recruiter he is claimed to be he could have left on better terms/standings for both parties. The offers would have kept rolling in. Bu that is JMO
        This is spot on. I'd give you more reputation points, but i seem to have to spread them to others from the last couple years of your opinions. This isn't the typical mid-major life. Great coaches are able to move on while leaving the team in good shape. Missing one piece is not atypical. Missing all pieces besides a me-first guard is. Just one example is Tim Miles work at both NDSU and Colorado State. He left the pieces for a tournament team at both places. Hell, he left some pretty good pieces at Nebraska for Hoiberg next year and he was fired.

Anyway, this one is on our AD - it may be his only mistake. He allowed TJ's connections(cheating connections, it turns out - https://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens...885e05a9b.html) to influence him. I don't want to call the second hire a mistake, but I'm skeptical. I feel like either Sell felt so burned by the last one that we passed up the opportunity for a nationwide search because he was scrambling to keep any potential pieces or he did put out some feelers(he says he didn't) but no one was interested in the dumpster fire that TJ created. I would have felt much better with a full search and a Henderson hire.

I think the team can bounce back, but I think it will take some time. Maybe Hendo is the guy that can do it - I hope he is.

With all that said, how does UNLV even hire Otzelberger after looking at the past 3 years and the current roster?

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
          This is spot on. I'd give you more reputation points, but i seem to have to spread them to others from the last couple years of your opinions. This isn't the typical mid-major life. Great coaches are able to move on while leaving the team in good shape. Missing one piece is not atypical. Missing all pieces besides a me-first guard is. Just one example is Tim Miles work at both NDSU and Colorado State. He left the pieces for a tournament team at both places. Hell, he left some pretty good pieces at Nebraska for Hoiberg next year and he was fired.

Anyway, this one is on our AD - it may be his only mistake. He allowed TJ's connections(cheating connections, it turns out - https://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens...885e05a9b.html) to influence him. I don't want to call the second hire a mistake, but I'm skeptical. I feel like either Sell felt so burned by the last one that we passed up the opportunity for a nationwide search because he was scrambling to keep any potential pieces or he did put out some feelers(he says he didn't) but no one was interested in the dumpster fire that TJ created. I would have felt much better with a full search and a Henderson hire.

I think the team can bounce back, but I think it will take some time. Maybe Hendo is the guy that can do it - I hope he is.

With all that said, how does UNLV even hire Otzelberger after looking at the past 3 years and the current roster?
          Thanks, I don't follow Nebraska MBB, but listening to ESPN out of the Twin Cities I think Miles had a damn good team going till one of/if not his stud went down to injury. They went on a bad tailspin after. I'm sure there is more to it, IDK. Success/Failure is a thin line.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I really wonder if there was some internal riffs with TJ and the rest of the coaching staff. It seems odd to me that none of the coaches would go with. UNLV is obviously a step up for the head coach. Same would apply to all the assistants. It’d be much easier to get a head coaching gig or P5 assistant job coming from UNLV.
            It's not that hard to understand for me. Henderson got a head coaching job - that's a no-brainer. Klink wasn't interested in going with Nagy who he worked with for 10 years, so not a surprise that he chose to stay here now. And does he seem like a Vegas type guy ? Weathers was with Otz for one year, so no great loyalty there. And maybe the biggest reason is our entire staff's recruiting footprint has basically been S.D. and the adjoining states, plus Wisconsin and the Chicago area. UNLV forever has recruited nation wide and it makes sense to have assistants with west coast and beyond connections.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
              Thanks, I don't follow Nebraska MBB, but listening to ESPN out of the Twin Cities I think Miles had a damn good team going till one of/if not his stud went down to injury. They went on a bad tailspin after. I'm sure there is more to it, IDK. Success/Failure is a thin line.
              Unfortunately for Miles it started to dissipate before the injury but that sealed the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                Unfortunately for Miles it started to dissipate before the injury but that sealed the deal.
                Started to spiral with their losses to Illinois and Rutgers. Think that as the game right after they lost to Michigan State by 3 at home; a game they felt should have won. I think they let it affect their play after that.

Comment

Looks like you guys had your coming to Jesus moment, realizing where we all really stack with regards to pecking order in D1 athletics. NDSU had it with Bohl, y'all had it with Otz.

I got $20 that says when Hendo leaves it will be a lot like how Klieman left for K State this year.
                  2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
                    Looks like you guys had your coming to Jesus moment, realizing where we all really stack with regards to pecking order in D1 athletics. NDSU had it with Bohl, y'all had it with Otz.

I got $20 that says when Hendo leaves it will be a lot like how Klieman left for K State this year.
                    I sure hope you are right. But I'd venture to say the cupboard is far more bare now with our MBB team than your FB team was when Bohl left.

Comment

How does the link you've referenced have anything to do with TJ? It has been over a decade since TJ's been affiliated with McDermott?

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                        How does the link you've referenced have anything to do with TJ? It has been over a decade since TJ's been affiliated with McDermott?
                        Yes I too wondered about this. The story itself seems hard to link back to McDermott, but I suppose with an imagination you can do so. The time stamp on the link is October 2018, so hardly current information. The father's testimony apparently is the link to Creighton and to imply that DJJ came to SDSU for money is a leap and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Yes I too wondered about this. The story itself seems hard to link back to McDermott, but I suppose with an imagination you can do so. The time stamp on the link is October 2018, so hardly current information. The father's testimony apparently is the link to Creighton and to imply that DJJ came to SDSU for money is a leap and a half.
                          As I re-read that now, I meant to add McDermott's name prior to the article. He was what I was referring to the "cheating connections." I apologize, as I see where that was misinterpreted and that is my fault. I did not mean to imply that TJ was part of that, just that our AD looked pretty much only at McDermott's guys in our last hire, and I would have rather not had that connection or at least that as the lone connection for that hire - the only two that got a look had connections to him. TJ hasn't been coaching with McDermott for 10 years, but he was at his SDSU introduction and they go to the Kentucky Derby together. They are clearly affiliated still. Not to mean that TJ was or is a cheater.
                          Last edited by gojacksgo; 04-03-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

As I re-read that now, I meant to add McDermott's name prior to the article. He was what I was referring to the "cheating connections." I apologize, as I see where that was misinterpreted and that is my fault. I did not mean to imply that TJ was part of that, just that our AD looked pretty much only at McDermott's guys in our last hire, and I would have rather not had that connection or at least that as the lone connection for that hire - the only two that got a look had connections to him. TJ hasn't been coaching with McDermott for 10 years, but he was at his SDSU introduction and they go to the Kentucky Derby together. They are clearly affiliated still. Not to mean that TJ was or is a cheater.
                            I looked back and tried to find the thread when Otz was hired, but I couldn't locate it. But didn't a former Tubby Smith assistant at Minnesota get an on-campus interview ? Or is my memory failing me ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I looked back and tried to find the thread when Otz was hired, but I couldn't locate it. But didn't a former Tubby Smith assistant at Minnesota get an on-campus interview ? Or is my memory failing me ?
                              Only other candidate I heard that was on campus was Darren DeVries.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Only other candidate I heard that was on campus was Darren DeVries.
                                Vince Taylor was the 3rd Finalist (Tubby's old Assistant) but i don't know if i made it to Brookings for an Interview

Comment

Working...
                                X