Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    The graduate transfer loophole will most likely be adjusted soon.
    I hope the graduate transfer rule stays intact as it is. Kid graduates from school with a degree and you still want to be able to control what he/she does and where they may or may not go? Coaches are free to go at any time regardless of the contract they may have yet the student athlete is held like a prisoner?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      I hope the graduate transfer rule stays intact as it is. Kid graduates from school with a degree and you still want to be able to control what he/she does and where they may or may not go? Coaches are free to go at any time regardless of the contract they may have yet the student athlete is held like a prisoner?
      If they change something, it will be that the program will lose a scholarship if the grad transfer doesn't finish his/her graduate degree. I am 100% on board with that. Kids are at school/grad school to get a degree. They are currently just using this loophole to play another year. Here is a recent article talking about the proposed change with our AD, Justin Sell, quoted:

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...ing-130904235/

Comment

Disagree. Mid-Majors are being treated like a developmental league and stepping stone and its killing an already tilted competitive balance. It will also have an impact on mid-major attendance if "free agency" persists.

Comment

There are athletes who used the grad transfer option to play an extra year. They have no intentions whatsoever to earn an advanced degree. There is an New York Times article that mentions our own AD Justin Sells. I started a thread about this under college athletics and no replies to date but judging from some of the replies, you have taken time to read the article. Thank you! Here is the link:
          https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/s...transfers.html

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            If they change something, it will be that the program will lose a scholarship if the grad transfer doesn't finish his/her graduate degree. I am 100% on board with that. Kids are at school/grad school to get a degree. They are currently just using this loophole to play another year. Here is a recent article talking about the proposed change with our AD, Justin Sell, quoted:

https://247sports.com/college/arizon...ing-130904235/
            How about they just get rid of a school's ability to redshirt a healthy player? Problem solved.

Did Hess or Orris both receive their grad degrees?
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              How about they just get rid of a school's ability to redshirt a healthy player? Problem solved.

Did Hess or Orris both receive their grad degrees?
              The problem with this is how do you define “healthy”? I could see injuries being faked to provide a redshirt used when convenient.

Great point on Hess and Orris. TJ definitely took advantage of the grad transfer options.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                Disagree. Mid-Majors are being treated like a developmental league and stepping stone and its killing an already tilted competitive balance. It will also have an impact on mid-major attendance if "free agency" persists.
                This has been going on forever we just haven't been exposed to it until recently. How about trying to come up with a reason to make kids want to stay rather than making rules to try and prevent them from leaving? The kids are being treated like pawns in a college chess game. Does anybody think Mooney made a bad decision by leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  As of right now, only 7 returning players for sure.
                  Dillon, Mims, Arians, Brown, Fiegen, King, Dentlinger

2 incoming freshmen: Coburn, and Scheierman
                  1 JuCo transfer (haven't heard from Wilson) Buchanon

So that's 10... room for 3 more. (lots of Grad Transfer types out there.)

PG O King - Mims - Brown
                  SG Buchanan - probably Mims/King/Schierman rotation.
                  SF Ariens Scheierman
                  PF Dillon - Fiegen
                  C Dentlinger - Coburn

Wilson could easily slide in at the starting 4 spot. I don't know guys... With Wilson/Buchanon as scorers/"get buckets" kind of guys (Wilson did retweet Buchanon's commitment) There's some building blocks there. We'll just have to wait and see.
                  With the addition of Noah Freidel, I'm curious where we are with the lineup? I think what we see in December will be vastly different than what we see come late February.

PG O King - Mims - Brown - Schierman
                  SG Buchanan - probably Mims/King/Schierman/Freidel rotation.
                  SF Ariens - Wilson/Scheierman
                  PF Wilson/Dillon - Fiegen
                  C Dentlinger/Dillon - Coburn

I've added Schierman to the point guard mix. He's big, but when we first recruited him it was as a point guard who could shoot from deep. He's grown since then and has developed the ability to finish at the rim. He's a phenomenal passer and I think he eventually ends up at point for us. He may not be as quick for defending some of the quick guards, but he'd cause tons of mismatches with the variety of skills and the extreme length.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                    Great point on Hess and Orris. TJ definitely took advantage of the grad transfer options.
                    Yep. And Sell seemed pretty ok with them maybe not getting their degrees back then.

Comment

Any red shirts in the freshman class?

Comment

Yep. And Sell seemed pretty ok with them maybe not getting their degrees back then.
                        Or maybe he wasn't and that is why he's leading the committee in charge of changing the rule? That doesn't happen overnight. And still no guarantee it is going to happen. It will eventually go to a vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          Any red shirts in the freshman class?
                          Coburn would benefit from a year of practice and bulking up. It would be nice if one of the two guards could redshirt. While Freidel may be more athletic, I suspect that the flexibility that Baylor Scheierman brings may be of value for this next season.

Just because we redshirt an individual does not mean we think one individual is better than another individual. In 2014, we redshirted Daum and played Ian Theisen. I don't think anyone can argue that Theisen was a better player at that time. His body was just more mature for banging inside that season and met a specific need.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Or maybe he wasn't and that is why he's leading the committee in charge of changing the rule? That doesn't happen overnight. And still no guarantee it is going to happen. It will eventually go to a vote.
                            If they are going to penalize these grad transfer kids and the schools that they go to, then we better take away scholarships from schools that have students leave early. At least the grad transfers finished one degree.

How would Kentucky/Duke/Kansas enjoy losing 3 years worth of scholarships for every freshman that declares for the NBA?

Comment

If they are going to penalize these grad transfer kids and the schools that they go to, then we better take away scholarships from schools that have students leave early. At least the grad transfers finished one degree.

How would Kentucky/Duke/Kansas enjoy losing 3 years worth of scholarships for every freshman that declares for the NBA?
                              Minus the one-and-dones, this is controlled by the APR rules.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                                With the addition of Noah Freidel, I'm curious where we are with the lineup? I think what we see in December will be vastly different than what we see come late February.

PG O King - Mims - Brown - Schierman
                                SG Buchanan - probably Mims/King/Schierman/Freidel rotation.
                                SF Ariens - Wilson/Scheierman
                                PF Wilson/Dillon - Fiegen

I've added Schierman to the point guard mix. He's big, but when we first recruited him it was as a point guard who could shoot from deep. He's grown since then and has developed the ability to finish at the rim. He's a phenomenal passer and I think he eventually ends up at point for us. He may not be as quick for defending some of the quick guards, but he'd cause tons of mismatches with the variety of skills and the extreme length.
                                You could very well be right.
                                I'm thinking it could look like this: (I've changed my thinking a little)

PG O King - Mims - Brown
                                SG Buchanan - Freidel
                                SF Ariens - Scheierman
                                PF Wilson - Fiegen

Still room for 1 more! DJJ will probably go, and I expect Grill is gone with the offers he has gathered. That means, I'm looking for a Grad Transfer type. Could use another Senior to help balance out the roster. A Senior PG (if they think Owen isn't ready) or a 3/4 type (kind of like Wilson...but maybe more of a stretch 4.. shooter type) would be good...bring some balance to the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X