Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
    If hendo would make the summit league tournament it would by far surpass anything TJ accomplished while he was here. Hendo has a true chance to do something special. I’m excited to actually see some philosophy on defense. Tj was handed one of the greatest midmajor players of all time.
    TJ, and his system, played a huge role in developing Daum into one of the best mid-major players. What TJ did to save his first season at SDSU is overlooked. To belittle his time here as a head coach is just sour grapes to how it ended.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
      If hendo would make the summit league tournament it would by far surpass anything TJ accomplished while he was here. Hendo has a true chance to do something special. I’m excited to actually see some philosophy on defense. Tj was handed one of the greatest midmajor players of all time.
      What does this even mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
        What does this even mean?
        It seems like Otz has been a burr underneath his saddle ever since the zone defense part of his first season with the Jacks.

Comment

Otz was a net positive for SDSU during his tenure as head coach. He wasn't all world nor was he just lucky.

Let's move on from TJ and focus on what we do have, which has me more optimistic than most on the board. Hendo has done some nice things with the roster after the rocky start (no fault of his own, imo) and all reports say he is a good coach.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Otz was a net positive for SDSU during his tenure as head coach. He wasn't all world nor was he just lucky.

Let's move on from TJ and focus on what we do have, which has me more optimistic than most on the board. Hendo has done some nice things with the roster after the rocky start (no fault of his own, imo) and all reports say he is a good coach.
            It’s time for an ancient story. When Ralph Ginn retired after 9 NCC championships in football, his two successors spent a total of three seasons at SDSU. Dave Kragthorpe lasted one season before getting offer from a start up program at Weber State in Utah. His successor Dean Pryor was an assistant at U of Kansas, and moved on to Arkansas State where a new stadium was built and a move to FBS. Both coaches used SDSU for a steppingstone much like TJ. Kragthorpe ended up at PAC 12 Oregon State. Many years later we played Arkansas State in basketball in Jonesboro, I recall listening on WNAX, it was either Steve Emming or Tyler mentioning an off the air conversation with Athletic Director Emeritus Dean Pryor, who reflected on short time at SDSU and Brookings and wanted send greetings to anyone who remember him. He apparently was bitten by “Someplace Special”. Let’s hope some where in the future we hear something similar from TJ. I can’t imagine there is no private conversation between Hendo and TJ. My guess is they speak by some means weekly or maybe more often. It’s the fans on this board who are bitter! Not everyone, but a bunch. When a move more than doubles your salary, why be bitter? What I am reading in Las Vegas Review TJ is adjusting To UNLV in a smooth fashion.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 06-02-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              It seems like Otz has been a burr underneath his saddle ever since the zone defense part of his first season with the Jacks.
              Certainly think that he did too much to protect his scorer the first year, but on balance he was a plus. I predict that USD and SDSU will be top tier Summit next year. That's good for the state and Otz gets points for this.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                TJ, and his system, played a huge role in developing Daum into one of the best mid-major players. What TJ did to save his first season at SDSU is overlooked. To belittle his time here as a head coach is just sour grapes to how it ended.
                I find this thread interesting. It goes from TJ being the worst thing ever to him being great.

If Hando WINS the Summit League Tournament it might be better than anything TJ did. I would hope SDSU makes the tournament but it doesn't come close to winning the regular season championship or tourney title.

TJ had Daum and Reed who were the 1st and 4th leading scorers returning from a successful team. Daum averaged over 15 PPG as a freshman averaging around 21 minutes/game. I would think that he would have received more PT even if Nagy stayed. You jack up his minutes played from 21 MPG to around 30 MPG and Daum might have averaged around 22 PPG. That's not too far from the 25PPG he averaged. You could argue that maybe he would have played better because he had a year of college experience. Would Nagy (or whoever) have played him around 33 MPG like TJ did??? Nagy did have Theisen playing 17 MPG so maybe Daum wouldn't have played quite that much so he might have been a little lower, too. Of course, Theisen averaged 6.1 PPG Nagy's last year and Arians averaged 6.2 PPG this year so SDSU's 3rd leading returning scorer Nagy's last year only averaged .01 PPG less than the highest returning scorer from TJ's last year.

TJ did bring Orris, Hess and Howell (for players that contributed) his first year. SDSU did need one or two of them to win that year.

On the other hand, SDSU only returns 18 PPG total this season. That is only 3 PPG more than how many PPG Daum had his freshman year. Their best returning scorer next year will be the 5th highest scorer this year. TJ had a lot more to build on the what Hendo has.

If TJ would have stayed at SDSU, SDSU would have been deadly 2 and 3 years down the road. TJ left and his best two players left because of that. If Hendo can win the Summit League title with about half returning talent that TJ had, it would be a bigger achievement in my mind.

It is a bummer that the program was not built up bigger so 1 player transferring doesn't really hurt the team but that happened. I like the team that Hendo has assembled and they look good on paper. Some of that is inexperienced players that TJ brought in. I have faith some of the sophomores, redshirt freshmen and freshmen (TJ's guys) will help the team but I like what has happened after TJ left. Key coming back should help this team, too. Will this team not miss a beat remains to be seen.
                Last edited by 91jack; 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I find this thread interesting. It goes from TJ being the worst thing ever to him being great.

If Hando WINS the Summit League Tournament it might be better than anything TJ did. I would hope SDSU makes the tournament but it doesn't come close to winning the regular season championship or tourney title.

TJ had Daum and Reed who were the 1st and 4th leading scorers returning from a successful team. Daum averaged over 15 PPG as a freshman averaging around 21 minutes/game. I would think that he would have received more PT even if Nagy stayed. You jack up his minutes played from 21 MPG to around 30 MPG and Daum might have averaged around 22 PPG. That's not too far from the 25PPG he averaged. You could argue that maybe he would have played better because he had a year of college experience. Would Nagy (or whoever) played him around 33 MPH like TJ did???

TJ did bring Orris, Hess and Howell (for players that contributed) his first year. SDSU did need one or two of them to win that year.

On the other hand, SDSU only returns 18 PPG total this season. That is only 3 PPG more than how many PPG Daum had his freshman year. Their best returning scorer next year will be the 5th highest scorer this year. TJ had a lot more to build on the what Hendo has.

If TJ would have stayed SDSU, SDSU would have been deadly 2 and 3 years down the road. TJ left and his best two players left because of that. If Hendo can win the Summit League title with half or less than half the returning talent that TJ had, it would be a bigger achievement in my mind.

It is a bummer that the program was not built up bigger so 1 player transferring doesn't really hurt the team but that happened. I like the team that Hendo has assembled and they look good on paper. Some of that is inexperienced players that TJ brought in. I have faith some of the sophomores, redshirt freshmen and freshmen (TJ's guys) will help the team but I like what has happened after TJ left. Key coming back should help this team, too. Will this team not miss a beat will be remain to be seen.
                  It is pretty amazing how similar Hendo's situation is compared to when TJ took over. Both teams lost talented senior classes that not only could score, but were also leaders of the team. Both teams were counting on unproven guys off the bench or transfers to fill the gaps.

Personally I think that the Jacks will be one of the top 3 teams in the Summit. All the top teams from last year seem to have lost enough to make it interesting. I think that, like TJ's first year, the beginning of the season could be a little rough. Once the conference season rolls around, I can see the team turning the corner.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It is my prediction Hendo skips the 1-3-1 as a staple defense!
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      It is pretty amazing how similar Hendo's situation is compared to when TJ took over. Both teams lost talented senior classes that not only could score, but were also leaders of the team. Both teams were counting on unproven guys off the bench or transfers to fill the gaps.

Personally I think that the Jacks will be one of the top 3 teams in the Summit. All the top teams from last year seem to have lost enough to make it interesting. I think that, like TJ's first year, the beginning of the season could be a little rough. Once the conference season rolls around, I can see the team turning the corner.
                      Disagree with first part. Hindsight and all but tj clearly had more experience coming back. If the transfers hendo has can contribute would be similar. well losing leaders and seniors is the same but he does most experienced guys are arians and key who didnt play last year. Tj having Reed and thiessen and daum who was clearly a big piece going forward. If djj stayed it would have been much more comparable. agree with the 2nd statement totally. Will have growing pains to start the year but will be. Vastly better by end of the year. A lot of things to work out early in the year.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Id like to see what % of shots were taken by Daum, Jenkins and Flatten. And even TK. The other guys really didnt get a chance to prove much. Arians shot 53.9% from the field last year, 37.3 from 3. Owen King was 49.1% from the field and 32.6% from 3. Dentlinger was 56.3 from the field. They are playing college ball for a reason. The big boys are gone. Now is their chance to be the big boys. I agree its going to be a slow start. By conference time i feel confident we will compete. Top 3 sounds good to me. Were we 4th seed in the Summit Tourney TJs first year? That turned out OK.

Comment

My quick take, this season will be more fun to watch than last. We went into last year with a finished product, and we were the same team at the beginning of the year that we were at the end for the most part. The only real surprise was the emergence of Flatten. This season, everything is up for grabs. We have the talent IMO to win the Summit, but will just have some very real growing pains along the way, both by the players and staff. I'm real excited to see what happens.

Comment

• 2019-20 Men's Roster

Thoughts of the way Key played in the 2018 SLT and NCAA tourney (where he seemed to singlehandedly keep us in the game) sure help my optimism. There were a bunch of times last year where I found myself wishing he was available- what a spark plug. There were plenty of times he ignited the team and the crowd. Key was damn good the last month of that season.

Also, the point about there not being much opportunity for other scorers to step up last year is a good one. What young guy was going to come in and start shooting when he’s on the court with Daum, DJJ and Flatten? I heard TJ make that point several times about Ariens in interviews - to paraphrase, “he’s a scorer but he knows that’s not his role this year”.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              SDSU needed all of them to win that year.

Comment

Does anyone know if the team is going on a Foreign Trip this summer to play exhibition games? I feel like this summer would be as good as any for one but can't think of when they last took one. The guys should be a tough out in Sioux Falls, but this season could and most likely will start out bumpy with all the new or unproven faces. Be good for them to have some pre-season live competition to gain experience and on-court chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                                X