Page 59 of 75 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Default Re: 2019-20 Men's Roster

Quote Originally Posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.
    It was a usd fan who made the comment about Freidel. Best to ignore when they try to stir things up

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    With the timing of his announcing he was transferring coinciding with Memphis needing to free up scholarships to sign three extremely highly rated recruits and transfers, it is likely he was "encouraged" to transfer by Penny. Hopefully that would be considered by the NCAA if a waiver to play right away is asked for.
    I believe this will be considered by the NCAA when he applies for a hardship waiver. I believe they call it a "run off waiver". This seems like a pretty obscure recruiting website but they do mention it. So I'd say there is a decent chance he could be eligible next season. That would be ideal.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    It was a usd fan who made the comment about Freidel. Best to ignore when they try to stir things up
    I seen the study room or whatever its called and it is being used by our student athletes. When they had the academic meetings about going D1, I sat in on one. Giving needed help was a impressive goal, or at least I thought so. Not everyone graduates from high school Magna cuma Lauda, and tutoring is needed. I trust Noah Friedel will take advantage of this valuable service, something we did not offer or could not offer as a D2 member. The SA was like anyone else sink or swim. I remember an Algebra class where I struggled, but the instructor offer a help class and I took advantage of it and was the benefactor. I see nothing wrong with tutoring SA who need the help. I believe non-SA can now get tutoring help so its no big deal. Only fools are those who do not take advantage of the service. yoteforlife is okay guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BTownJack View Post
    I believe this will be considered by the NCAA when he applies for a hardship waiver. I believe they call it a "run off waiver". This seems like a pretty obscure recruiting website but they do mention it. So I'd say there is a decent chance he could be eligible next season. That would be ideal.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...off-waiver.htm
    Sounds like it would need to have Penny go on the record and admit he basically ran off a player to sign a better player. Happens a lot, but I'm not sure a coach wants to be on the record admitting it. Seems like something other coaches would use in the recruiting process.

I believe the coyote fan’s reference had to do with Friedel’s eligibility because he decommited from wright state. Of course he never stepped foot on campus and is eligible right away, as has already been reported. I think we can stop speculating about his ability in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Noah Freidel - The comment regarding him staying eligible...any merit to that, as in does he struggle in the classroom? If no merit, I think that type of speculation is a bit over the line.

David Wingett - What was his injury at Memphis? Being that he only played 4 games I would guess Hendo & Co. submit a waiver for immediate eligibility.
    Regarding Friedel's eligibility there is a twitter video yote fans are hinting about (go to yote board smack section), the kids got a little swagger, as he does have Armour roots, LOL. BTW the yotes have some real losers floating around in the twitter cesspool.

We all need to just relax a little bit as Aaron Rodgers would say.

Obviously, we lost as much as any team out there would lose from one year to the next. That happened for a couple reasons. First, we were lucky to get a sixth year for Flatten due to the injuries he dealt with. While that was great for the team last year and he had a fantastic year, it wasn't great for player development. So, we graduated three seniors who all had tons of experience. Then the coaching change happens and we lose Jenkins too. So, the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to players with experience (we lost 83% of last year's offense) but we have a lot of really good players that either are incoming freshmen, transfers, or redshirt freshmen.

Even had Jenkins stayed we would have probably experienced a drop off. He's gone and best of luck to him. I think he chose wisely in picking UNLV. Coach Otz's style of play fits DJJ. I still scratch my head a little about him being willing to sit out a year. That would have to suck. It's his choice, he made it. End of story.

I'm optimistic that with Coach Hendo that we will get significantly better on defense next year. Have to! That is how they will have to compete. My thought is next year will resemble the year we brought in Parks and Marshall. It probably isn't going to be pretty for a while but come conference time they will be very competitive.

If nothing else, the last couple weeks with Friedel and Wingett choosing to come to SDSU that this is still a very desirable place to be for both recruits and transfers.

The sky is not falling. It never was. Change happens and it is scary. This program is in great hands and is going to continue as a mid-major force. Looking forward to seeing if any other additions are made before the end of summer.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    We all need to just relax a little bit as Aaron Rodgers would say.

Obviously, we lost as much as any team out there would lose from one year to the next. That happened for a couple reasons. First, we were lucky to get a sixth year for Flatten due to the injuries he dealt with. While that was great for the team last year and he had a fantastic year, it wasn't great for player development. So, we graduated three seniors who all had tons of experience. Then the coaching change happens and we lose Jenkins too. So, the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to players with experience (we lost 83% of last year's offense) but we have a lot of really good players that either are incoming freshmen, transfers, or redshirt freshmen.

Even had Jenkins stayed we would have probably experienced a drop off. He's gone and best of luck to him. I think he chose wisely in picking UNLV. Coach Otz's style of play fits DJJ. I still scratch my head a little about him being willing to sit out a year. That would have to suck. It's his choice, he made it. End of story.

I'm optimistic that with Coach Hendo that we will get significantly better on defense next year. Have to! That is how they will have to compete. My thought is next year will resemble the year we brought in Parks and Marshall. It probably isn't going to be pretty for a while but come conference time they will be very competitive.

If nothing else, the last couple weeks with Friedel and Wingett choosing to come to SDSU that this is still a very desirable place to be for both recruits and transfers.

The sky is not falling. It never was. Change happens and it is scary. This program is in great hands and is going to continue as a mid-major force. Looking forward to seeing if any other additions are made before the end of summer.

SUPERBUNNY
    Agree with this.

I think a positive with Coach Henderson, is that recruiting wins... especially in Basketball... if your 5 are better than the others, you're going to win more than you lose.

Coach Henderson is a Super Personable guy. He just is. Kids will love him. They will love meeting him, he will win over parents, he'll definitely be a guy who can "win" in the living room.

I don't know what will happen this coming season... but I'm not as down as many seem to be, and I'm not putting my eggs in the basket of this season to judge things. Give him some time, and see what happens.

I'm sure we'll have some struggles in non-conference, but I'm excited about the potential for this team. I think it will resemble the White/Dykstra/Carlson/Bittle/Horstman/Larson team of 13-14 where we had a ton of length and guys who can shoot from just about every position. Sure we lost a lot, but I think we've got plenty of talent and should still be a challenger for a top two seed come tourney time.

Quote Originally Posted by LARabbit View Post
    I believe the coyote fan’s reference had to do with Friedel’s eligibility because he decommited from wright state. Of course he never stepped foot on campus and is eligible right away, as has already been reported. I think we can stop speculating about his ability in the classroom.
    Student Athlete always have a right to change their mind and all reports are that Noah Freidel followed all the required procedures. As you said he never set foot on campus after his official visit, so there is nothing there to question in my opinion. I have no clue of his academic record but this has to be checked by SDSU compliance and there is no scholarship offer if the prospect does not meet the requirements. Again he apparently met these requirements. I think Noah should be given the opportunity to succeed which I think he will. Those Armour roots will give him swagger. We need that.