Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Agreed, I feel like they're over valuing how desirable that position is. Also being completely ignorant of the quality of a coach from a top mid major team.
    Maybe they just read this message board.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Maybe they just read this message board.
      I saw two negative comments on Zim's Twitter, but nothing on two UNLV boards. Probably missing the obvious, see a lot of comments about (for example), Mike Miller, but nothing on TJ.

Comment

I was listening to talk radio in Omaha yesterday and they were talking amongst themselves and asked where Tim Miles would end up when he gets canned at Nebraska. One randomly said South Dakota State and the topic changed from there. I thought it seemed really odd that he would take an assistant position with us and thought nothing of it at the time. Now this thread cranks up and I start to understand what he is getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          When Grill signed it seems to me that he said that a big reason he didn't take one of his higher offers was because he was more comfortable with a smaller school and community. Vegas would not exactly fit that description.
          True.

It would also be pretty important to get someone in right away that can reach out to the commits.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            When Grill signed it seems to me that he said that a big reason he didn't take one of his higher offers was because he was more comfortable with a smaller school and community. Vegas would not exactly fit that description.
            I think it would be difficult to keep him. That's part of the reason we got Jenkins in the first place... he had a relationship with Otz from when he was at Washington.

Comment

Well this ruined my day. If it is true it should bode well for us that a coach can go from SDSU to a program like UNLV for the next hire anyway. Having just signed that 3 year deal hopefully we will be able to attract the next tier of coach via the buyout money. That is what the buyout money is for anyhow.

Comment

Miles out at Nebraska.

I'm in Justin Sell... I've already been on the phone with him.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...17603012247552

I'd really like something done quickly... IF TJ leaves, that is.

-the uncertainty for the players is the biggest thing.

Comment

Googled the UNLV coaching search and there is nothing really current (last day or two). Articles from a week ago list bigger fish like Frank Martin, with no mention at all of Otz. The Hoop Dirt coaching site that was pretty accurate on Nagy leaving, and Otz coming here doesn't have any rumors on UNLV. If UNLV was close to hiring someone, you would think there would be some news leaking from someone more reliable than a message board poster saying that Oatselburger is a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Miles out at Nebraska.

Bryce Drew, who was let go at Vanderbilt, would be of interest to me. Had to be tough to compete there against the rest of the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      Miles out at Nebraska.

If we lost TJ I would honestly like this. P5 experience where it didn’t work out- which would really push back on the possibility of him going back to the P5 if he came here. Adding in the facts he is from S.D. and that helps the case he stays here long time. It’s a risky course cycling though coaches as we will make a bad hire here sometime. Would love some continuity again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So his contract extension that he signed is through 2023 and the buyout is about $975k according to what I found online. That kind of buyout money, even for a school as big as UNLV, is going to put a ton of pressure on him right away.

I could be way off base but I can't imagine a Miles/Drew taking the 400k to come to Brookings, especially if we lose the talent if TJ heads south. Unless, I suppose, it is situation where the coach is making a bunch of cash from their previous job and just takes the Jacks to build their resume back up.

Comment

What about Klink? Does he get a chance?

Continuity with the current team and recruits. He stuck around after Nagy left and I believe had an impact on the fact that we kept the bulk of what was left intact.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            So his contract extension that he signed is through 2023 and the buyout is about $975k according to what I found online. That kind of buyout money, even for a school as big as UNLV, is going to put a ton of pressure on him right away.

I could be way off base but I can't imagine a Miles/Drew taking the 400k to come to Brookings, especially if we lose the talent if TJ heads south. Unless, I suppose, it is situation where the coach is making a bunch of cash from their previous job and just takes the Jacks to build their resume back up.

Agree with this. Going to be extremely hard to recruit a highly regarded coach if TJ leaves the cupboards completely bare.Which unfortunately is possible considering he’s only brought in one proven impact player in 3 years who could easily bolt with him.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Continuity with the current team and recruits. He stuck around after Nagy left and I believe had an impact on the fact that we kept the bulk of what was left intact.
                              I would have thought that, had they wanted him as a HC, Klink would have been offered the job after Nagy left due to the worry about losing Daum. Would be interesting to see if Austin would put his name in the running.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I really doubt Klink gets a shot. Just my opinion.

I don’t have any inside info but Otz deactivating his Twitter account is probably all we need to know. He’s off somewhere and we’ll probably find out by the end of the week. It’s also really weird that he did that.
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X