Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    Sitting here at lunch and just saw TJ to UNLV go across the ESPN NCAA ticker. He must interview well.
    Please do not go division two or juco or anything. We have one of the best home court advantages, go after tim miles first as he walks circles around otz in x and os and if not Tim go after a big time assistant.

Comment

I'm not naïve, I realize money and prestige talk. With that said, I still feel somewhat used and betrayed by TJ. Let's just hope we retain the rest of the team.

Comment

I concur with Southeast and Kemo from the previous page: I believe in Justin Sell.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I guess so but you gotta think one of the first questions UNLV must have asked is WTF happened vs Western Illinois?!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I concur with Southeast and Kemo from the previous page: I believe in Justin Sell.
            I also believe in Justin Sell. Justin signed TJ to a contract extension just a few months ago, with a $975k buyout. I don't know the specifics of the buyout, but if UNLV pays the buyout, we basically got TJ for 3 years for free. Or we can use that money to hire a new coach.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
              I'm not naïve, I realize money and prestige talk. With that said, I still feel somewhat used and betrayed by TJ. Let's just hope we retain the rest of the team.
              The two things in bold are mutually exclusive. It's a product of being a very good mid major program, and a very good problem to have. If you try to say anything about AJ, save it. It's not apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                Please do not go division two or juco or anything. We have one of the best home court advantages, go after tim miles first as he walks circles around otz in x and os and if not Tim go after a big time assistant.
                There are two Division II coaches that I would be more than okay with, but we should cast a wide net and not limit ourselves. I'm hopping aboard the Tim Miles train with Capp'n, but I trust Sell to make a good hire regardless.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

From USA Today Miles, 52, was fired with two years left on his contract. Under terms of his deal, the school must pay him $105,000 for every month remaining, which comes out to a total of $2.52 million. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/3279993002/

So yeah he might be willing to take a lot less knowing that Nebraska has him covered for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    I also believe in Justin Sell. Justin signed TJ to a contract extension just a few months ago, with a $975k buyout. I don't know the specifics of the buyout, but if UNLV pays the buyout, we basically got TJ for 3 years for free. Or we can use that money to hire a new coach.
                    Justin Sell will be the problem solver. How many had Otz on the first list when hired? How many think Justin Sell does not have a list today?
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Let me ask the board a question. Would you rather take a safer choice such as say Billeter knowing he probably won’t leave soon or ever or another in the mold of TJ - major D1 assistant, who could leave after 2-3 years?

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                        Let me ask the board a question. Would you rather take a safer choice such as say Billeter knowing he probably won’t leave soon or ever or another in the mold of TJ - major D1 assistant, who could leave after 2-3 years?
                        Good question. My knee-jerk response is another TJ, rising star type.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

After watching Miles the last 7 years, I don't see Brookings as nearly a big enough stage. Yes, he's worked some small markets, but IMHO, he loves the limelight way too much to step back to Brookville. Plus, it seemed to me his inconsistency with the Huskers was primarily driven by his inability to keep players. I get that player movement is the way of the day in college sports, but he lost a lot of top-of-the-lineup guys -- not just guys unhappy with their playing time.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                            BINGO!!!

This would be the exact reason for signing TJ to the extension. Coaches want security and he got it but the school deserves something in return and this buyout helps.

We have to trust in the process with Sell. No harm in speculation or putting out there who you think would be a good fit. The biggest part of his job is to be prepared for this exact situation. I loved his quote someone attributed to a radio interview where he said, "I don't deal in rumors. I deal in being prepared." That hits the nail on the head. It certainly shouldn't have been a surprise that there would be inquiries for TJ's services.

Let's remember, SDSU has positioned itself very well as a mid-major with outstanding success in all three major sports. This is a place that lots of people would love to be a part of just like TJ three years ago. We will get a great candidate.

I echo everyone else's desire to do this as quickly as possible but also caution against being too hasty. This is a big hire with a lot on the line. We have a lot of quality recruits and current players that will give the next coach a nice base to start from. Add in a couple of open scholarships and the ability to add another couple of players could bode really well for the future.

Think positive Jackrabbit Nation. We could come out of this smelling like a rose.

That all said, it sucks we have to go through it.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Listen, Miles would be a fantastic choice, and I'm sure everyone would be for that, but I'm not sure how realistic it is.
                              It could be, but probably not.

Currently on Staff: I hope Coach Henderson at least gets a shot to interview, if he's interested. Doesn't mean they have to hire him, and maybe he's not interested, I don't know.

A name that hasn't been mentioned here much is Saul Phillips? Won in this league. Is not going to command the $$ that Miles would, and is much more realistic.

And then... I go back to when TJ was hired, he looked at guys with ties to Coach McDermott with Otz, and DeVries (I think it was?) Maybe JS has a good short list of Assistants from coaches or other AD's he knows and trusts?

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                And then... I go back to when TJ was hired, he looked at guys with ties to Coach McDermott with Otz, and DeVries (I think it was?) Maybe JS has a good short list of Assistants from coaches or other AD's he knows and trusts?
                                If Sell keeps it to a similar plan as he did the first time around you could begin to look at McDermott's assistants (current and prior).

Comment

Working...
                                X