Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Associate Head Coach Eric Henderson probably has to be considered a serious contender to replace Coach Otzelberger. (Yes, I'm convinced that T.J. is gone.) Maybe Henderson can keep the team and recruits in place. Ryan Miller deserves another look, too.
    There is less than a 0% chance Ryan Miller will even get a return phone call as long as Sell is here.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Associate Head Coach Eric Henderson probably has to be considered a serious contender to replace Coach Otzelberger. (Yes, I'm convinced that T.J. is gone.) Maybe Henderson can keep the team and recruits in place. Ryan Miller deserves another look, too.
      TJ and Henderson are buddies from way back, so I would be surprised if he wouldn't go with if he leaves.

Comment

Ryan Miller deserves another look, too.
        He would need to get a first look. Agree with jacks1, highly doubt that will change.

Comment

https://amp.kansascity.com/sports/ar...mpression=true

Here's another (KC Star) story on McCullom. Liking him more and more. Reference to him moving into D1 recruitment lists.

Still nothing on UNLV fan boards on TJ, at least on Rebel-Net. Not a lot of responses given the size of the program (I've checked two boards), is there something here I'm missing? Most responses to potential coach mentions are very negative. Maybe they DO deserve Patino?

Comment

Miller should get a look and would win but I checked and Justin is still AD so don’t see that happening.

Comment

To me TJ leaving isn’t what is going to hurt this program the most. At this level coaches are going to come and go. In all honesty a new coach every 3 to 5 years isn’t all bad if they are leaving for bigger jobs because that means we are still successful and the more coaches we have that come and move on to bigger jobs will just keep good up and coming coaches wanting to come here. The biggest problem that faces this program right now if TJ does leave is who does he take with him. You have to think it will be tough to keep everyone here. If he takes jenkins and grill asks for his release so he can follow TJ that will set this program back farther than losing TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                To me TJ leaving isn’t what is going to hurt this program the most. At this level coaches are going to come and go. In all honesty a new coach every 3 to 5 years isn’t all bad if they are leaving for bigger jobs because that means we are still successful and the more coaches we have that come and move on to bigger jobs will just keep good up and coming coaches wanting to come here. The biggest problem that faces this program right now if TJ does leave is who does he take with him. You have to think it will be tough to keep everyone here. If he takes jenkins and grill asks for his release so he can follow TJ that will set this program back farther than losing TJ.
                Remember we also get to hire someone who can bring their recruits.

Comment

For those that didn't read the Star article, let me clip the first four paragraphs--
                  "It’s 8 a.m., and Ben McCollum is deep in his element inside a Northwest Missouri State office. Film on one computer. Ed Sheeran music on the other. Coffee in his left hand. Notepad in his right.

'McCollum will sleep only a few hours tonight. Back to do it all over again tomorrow. A change of clothes sits on the floor. He’s been known to stay awhile.

“I love film,” McCollum says. “It’s one of my favorite things to do. It’s like a puzzle. Some people like crosswords. I watch film.”

A week earlier, McCollum poured 50 hours into one game. Scouted the opponent. Scouted teams who played well against the opponent. Watched teams who played similarly. Watched teams who played well against those teams, too."
                  Spending fifty hours prepping for one game seems like a bit of overkill, but I was never really convinced of TJ's coaching ability although he seemed like he was well into his learning curve. This guy seems like much more of a nuts and bolts, head down kind of coach. Defensive minded, I saw him hold Lindenwood (which was a .500 team) to 41 points. He's more Nagy like than TJ like.

I was sitting behind a row of season ticket holders at the Memphis game. They hated Tubby and loved Penny. One of them told me, that Daum was shut down 'cause Penny wanted to shut him down and spent hours working on it. Of course DJJ broke loose that night but they still won by eight.
                  Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 03-27-2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

We might be getting way ahead of ourselves here, but if the current coach leaves and Tim Miles is willing, I say he would be a dandy choice. Other than his seven years in the "non basketball capital of America" (University of Nebraska), he has an excellent track record. All that said, there are other DI programs willing to pay him a lot more than we could offer. In an off the cuff remark a couple of weeks back and responding to the rumor that he might be fired, Miles said (paraphrasing here) that he was already a millionaire. So money may not be an issue with him as he is already set for life. Perhaps the appeal of him "coming home" might turn his head this way.

Comment

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      We might be getting way ahead of ourselves here, but if the current coach leaves and Tim Miles is willing, I say he would be a dandy choice. Other than his seven years in the "non basketball capital of America" (University of Nebraska), he has an excellent track record. All that said, there are other DI programs willing to pay him a lot more than we could offer. In an off the cuff remark a couple of weeks back and responding to the rumor that he might be fired, Miles said (paraphrasing here) that he was already a millionaire. So money may not be an issue with him as he is already set for life. Perhaps the appeal of him "coming home" might turn his head this way.
                      I hope this is the case. A Doland Native coming home? I too,was a little taken back by his comments about UNL having to pay the remainder of his contract. I think he would do a good job at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                        This is the big issue for me.

I like TJ, and I'm fine if he ends up staying...and I can live with him moving on, that's completely understandable. But if Jenkins and Grill go with him... it will be interesting. (and the other incoming Freshmen and Wilson look good too)

Comment

Having met Coach Henderson a couple of times. (twice, so take that for what it's worth)

He is extremely personable, and a really good guy. I think he would be a good guy in the recruits living room. No idea if he's head coach material... but I certainly support the idea of giving him an opportunity (if one is needed).

I like the Tim Miles idea... but who knows what that situation is.

A couple of UNLV posters on Twitter this morning saying that "something strange is happening" and another saying that a "booster is saving us from TJ Otzelberger".
                          -I don't know what that means...

Or if those accounts are credible... Just spreading the word to people not on twitter.

It is very possible that UNLV doesn't go with TJ, and he comes back. In which case, I would certainly welcome him back. Cannot fault someone for trying to advance their career. And we knew that when he was hired... he was a Power 5 Assistant, and you know he wants to be a head coach at that level. (not that the MWC is, but it's another step up)

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Having met Coach Henderson a couple of times. (twice, so take that for what it's worth)

He is extremely personable, and a really good guy. I think he would be a good guy in the recruits living room. No idea if he's head coach material... but I certainly support the idea of giving him an opportunity (if one is needed).

A couple of UNLV posters on Twitter this morning saying that "something strange is happening" and another saying that a "booster is saving us from TJ Otzelberger".

Or if those accounts are credible... Just spreading the word to people not on twitter.

It is very possible that UNLV doesn't go with TJ, and he comes back. In which case, I would certainly welcome him back. Cannot fault someone for trying to advance their career. And we knew that when he was hired... he was a Power 5 Assistant, and you know he wants to be a head coach at that level. (not that the MWC is, but it's another step up)

Hea not going to take DJj with him. When someone is already playing at the school it is rare that the leaving coach brings him to the team. It is not rare however for recruits to follow him. Which is fine.

craig Smith didn’t even link his name with Mooney.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

Coach Hendo is certainly head coaching material ... uncertain if given his limited experience whether he has the experience to be one at the moment. The one thing he has going for him is that he may be able to save this roster and the incoming recruiting class.

Comment

Multiple posters have indicated that AD Sell would not consider Ryan Miller. Why? I must have missed something a few years ago. Please explain.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X