TJ Going to UNLV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

I'm curious to know why a few of the posters made it sound like there is no way Ryan Miller would get hired as long as Sell is the AD. What's the backstory on that, if you don't mind sharing. I don't think Miller is a guy who is going to interview very well, so maybe it's as simple a he had a bad interview the last time around (I don't know if he interviewed or not).
    I'm also not familiar with the backstory on Austin Hansen. It was alluded that the players ran him out and he possibly quit on the team. I wasn't aware of that. I've talked to him several times, he always seemed like a nice guy, but I do agree with whoever said he doesn't have the personality to be a head coach. I shouldn't say he doesn't, because it's not like I know him that well, it would be more appropriate to say "I would be surprised if he did from what I have seen."

It would make me nervous if you hired Miles. I like Miles a lot. I was a big defender of him at Nebraska, but I will say it was tough for me to argue that he really didn't have a lot of success after Craig Smith left. Smith left right after Nebraska had that surprise season and Miles won National Coach of the Year. Then Smith turned USD around and now Utah St as well. Nebraska on the other hand never got back to the tournament, so I do have to question Miles a little bit as a coach, but I really think he can energize a fan base.

I know you guys probably won't give a serious look at Craig Doty, but man do I wish USD would have hired him after Smith left. He is having amazing success. I'm also a big fan of Matt Wilber, I think he's a really good coach.

I'm pretty sure the hire will be a P5 assistant that I have never heard of (which is pretty much all of the assistants out there, unless they are from SD).

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
      I would say Grill is far more likely to follow TJ than DJ. All he has to do is ask for his LOI release and sign, very rare for AD's to reject the request. DJJ would have to transfer, file an appeal to NCAA play right away or sit out one year. He's got a lot of momentum going for him so the risk of sitting for a year may not be that appealing, especially if Sell hits another home run on a Coaching Hire. UNLV somehow became a dumpster fire and needs major reconstruction, if you were a Junior would you want to be apart of that vs a young kid like Grill who as a Freshman knows no better?
      Even Grill... He had an offer from Texas Tech... If he wanted to go to a big college, I feel like he would have chose Texas Tech over SDSU, not UNLV over SDSU. Now, maybe his relationship with TJ is so strong that TJ will be able to convince him, but I feel like there was a lot more to the decision than just their relationship, and it sounds like comments he's made have backed up that thought.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        91. Maybe petty isn't the right word. Nitpicky? Just seems like a small thing to worry/care about imo.

Edit: and to be fair to 91, I was reading the wrong article. Here's where he's talking: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...ts/3288634002/
        I know it really doesn't matter. I guess if I had Zimmer's job I would probably have people questioning me all the time. I know he's much better at that job that I would be. It didn't take many posts for somebody to think I'm nitpicky. Probably correct, I'll work on that.

I'm just neutral on coach Otz. He didn't do anything to hurt the program (we'll see about players/recruits) so it is all good. I am glad that he was here and kept the program at a NCAA tournament level. It would have just been nice to see him make the program better (as I see it) than it was when he got here. His recruits haven't played very much, yet, so he might still help SDSU a win in the tourney. I hope his players do and I will give him his share of the credit. I know coaching is part of it but you need the horses to get it done. That is why I look at what coach Otz did and give some credit to both him and Nagy. What will happen over the next 4 or 5 years will be part of coach Otz's "book" at SDSU to me, too.

Comment

Otzelberger got 1.4 million. If your Scott Nagy how discouraging is this. No way is it’s worth 1.4 million

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
            I'm curious to know why a few of the posters made it sound like there is no way Ryan Miller would get hired as long as Sell is the AD. What's the backstory on that, if you don't mind sharing. I don't think Miller is a guy who is going to interview very well, so maybe it's as simple a he had a bad interview the last time around (I don't know if he interviewed or not).
            I'm also not familiar with the backstory on Austin Hansen. It was alluded that the players ran him out and he possibly quit on the team. I wasn't aware of that. I've talked to him several times, he always seemed like a nice guy, but I do agree with whoever said he doesn't have the personality to be a head coach. I shouldn't say he doesn't, because it's not like I know him that well, it would be more appropriate to say "I would be surprised if he did from what I have seen."

It would make me nervous if you hired Miles. I like Miles a lot. I was a big defender of him at Nebraska, but I will say it was tough for me to argue that he really didn't have a lot of success after Craig Smith left. Smith left right after Nebraska had that surprise season and Miles won National Coach of the Year. Then Smith turned USD around and now Utah St as well. Nebraska on the other hand never got back to the tournament, so I do have to question Miles a little bit as a coach, but I really think he can energize a fan base.

I know you guys probably won't give a serious look at Craig Doty, but man do I wish USD would have hired him after Smith left. He is having amazing success. I'm also a big fan of Matt Wilber, I think he's a really good coach.

I'm pretty sure the hire will be a P5 assistant that I have never heard of (which is pretty much all of the assistants out there, unless they are from SD).
            Wilbur is intriguing, but I know when he took the job at DWU he was quoted as saying a big reason was so he could spend more time with his family and wouldn't be on the road as much. I'm not sure what the difference in travel time and hours away is with a head coach vs. an assistant. Wilbur really might not be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
              Random question, but what is with everyone having a hard-on for Ryan Miller?
              This, I met the Guy once (so my take gets a grain of salt) Talked to him for a (short)whille about basketball strategy I almost couldn't get past his fidget-y-ness to even hold a convo. His response to my questions was lees then I would expect from someone who I'd want to be a head coach. I mean He has the name, but really do we KNOW he's a great recruiter? I do beleive he's got social media figured out (I'll Give him that) and he's A really nice personable guy. Personally would not be my choice and I'm not sure that matters. It seemed Likely (to me at least) That he posted using some ailias on Twitter 3 years ago after they hired TJ and I'm pretty sure the comments fell in line with they guy I met.

As far as TJ He was a Super guy when he got here and probably still is. IS he a great recruiter (likely) but if you can't keep the guy's around what does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post

There were rumblings that Sell & others worried that Ryan would bolt after a couple of good seasons and wanted to invest in someone that would stay long term even though everyone and their dead grandmothers knew TJ was as good as gone once Daum's career finished. There could be other reasons too but that is one rumbling that I know of.

I like Matt Wilber and some of the other local coaches but D1 Basketball is a completely different animal from NAIA & D2. Far more time commitments and appearances and politicking. If SDSU was a garbage program than yes they would get looks, but Sell is going to hire a known name at the D1 level, whether its a recently fired D1 coach (i.e. Phillips) or a big time assistant.

Comment

I think it is at least worth a phone call to Coach Miles. For the reasons some have already pointed out: he is available, he is a SD native, he has aging parents and this offers the chance to be close to them. (Plenty of other relatives around as well) He has already said he has made millions and 400,000 dollars/year isn't exactly chump change. He doesn't necessarily strike me as someone in it for the money. He is 53 years old- if he coaches until 65 he could make over $4-5 million dollars coaching at State and probably win multiple Summit League titles. If he says he isn't interested, what are you out? Count me in for asking AJ as well- as someone pointed out- he started as a GA in the men's program. There are other interesting candidates on the list as well. What would I like to see? Someone with an exciting style on offense, but knows how to coach the other end of the floor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Wilbur is intriguing, but I know when he took the job at DWU he was quoted as saying a big reason was so he could spend more time with his family and wouldn't be on the road as much. I'm not sure what the difference in travel time and hours away is with a head coach vs. an assistant. Wilbur really might not be interested.
                    Wilbur loves Mitchell and DWU. I cant see him leaving. But if he does that would be awesome. We support both SDSU and DWU. So as long as he is at one of those universities, im happy

Comment

Official now: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp..._I3YC66nMh-q14

Man he should be in sales. Cus if I were an AD I'd want someone proven with his guys.

Comment

Henderson is the Jacks new HC, per Jeff Goodman

Comment

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/sta...733267968?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess it's ok to move fast if it holds players, but I was having fun with the speculation.

Comment

RIP SDSU version Tim Miles

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...610224640?s=21

Another source. Congrats coach Henderson.

Comment

Working...
                                X