Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    This makes sense. Many of recruits that have shown since Otz have also preceded leaving prior to Otz. Nagy did not leave an empty cupboard as many contended at an earlier time. Zimmer is looking for a extra drama in a recent column about the women not really being a midmajor or Cinderella. He may have followed the line of AJ exploring the elite team line instead for a midmajor who may still be a Cinderella. It is his job to fill the column, it is not always the way the reader interprets. That may be why we have that pesky first amendment. I am still be happier with Zimmer than Stu Whitney or Mick. Some may not think you toooo nitpicky.
    Terry Vandrovec was and is the GOAT and I'm still sad he's not the State beat writer. Zimmer is fine, but he pales in comparison and doesn't seem to have any rooting interest for SDSU. He's obviously supposed to be fairly neutral, but between the lines I've never felt he gives one s**t about how SDSU actually performs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I wanted Doty as well, but I'm extremely bias.
      If he has success at Emporia and we're looking for a coach again in 3-5 years I think he'll be a more prime candidate. I think it would be a wonderful marriage and hope to see it someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        Wow, I take a 45 minute break from continuously checking in on the TJ saga and it's suddenly the Hendo show! Whiplash!

I watched the bench pretty closely at several games this year and definitely noticed Henderson exerting himself. He was much always much more active and vocal than the other assistants and at times took charge of the timeout huddle while TJ was talking to officials. It's his time. Let's see what he can do with complete control. I at least like our odds of keeping most of the team together with this move.
        I’ll echo the sentiment about Hendo really being into coaching the guys. A lot more than TJ at the DU game in Denver. I know at one point TJ was asking Hendo if he should call a timeout. Not sure if that is normal or not but found it interesting.

I like the hire because of continuity.

Comment

Caleb hasn’t done anything on twitter since either announcement but his mom retweeted a tweet from UNLV athletics announcing T.J. as the coach and she also retweeted favorited and replied to a tweet from hoopdirt.com about Henderson becoming the coach. Her reply was congrats coach hendo, we are proud of you❤️❤️❤️

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
            Terry Vandrovec was and is the GOAT and I'm still sad he's not the State beat writer. Zimmer is fine, but he pales in comparison and doesn't seem to have any rooting interest for SDSU. He's obviously supposed to be fairly neutral, but between the lines I've never felt he gives one s**t about how SDSU actually performs.
            I agree with your assessment on Zimmer. I get the same feeling as it just seems like some of his tweets and chat comments are condescending towards us as fans. Then when Mick got layed off he comments about how much he appreciates the fans. Seemed like he was talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I do like his analysis but I’m quite certain he’d rather be covering Augie full time.

Comment

Congrats to TJ. Good luck. It was a fun 3 years. Now on to the Henderson era.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Looooooooooool
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  I wanted Doty as well, but I'm extremely bias.

I get the Doty or McCollum because it's somebody new, but I'd MUCH rather have a D1 guy like we have with EH.

Comment

He's a reporter, not a f***** fan! I'll also disagree that he doesn't care, it's a hell of a lot more fun to write and engage fans on a successful team. People that think a beat writer is a PR man for their beat are delusional.

Comment

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I agree with your assessment on Zimmer. I get the same feeling as it just seems like some of his tweets and chat comments are condescending towards us as fans. Then when Mick got layed off he comments about how much he appreciates the fans. Seemed like he was talking out of both sides of his mouth.

I do like his analysis but I’m quite certain he’d rather be covering Augie full time.
                        Yup, I agree with this sentiment. I think Matt does a good job and I enjoy his articles. But the tone of his tweets just bleeds "I'd rather be in Sioux Falls covering D2 right now". He's an NSIC guy through and through. He's gotten better the past two years, but his coverage of the Jacks football team in relation to the FCS national scene was subpar, to say the least. There's lots of guys on here and the AGS board that have a much more informed opinion on FCS football at the national level than Zimmer. As I said, he's gotten better, and I enjoy his articles. But he has a very transparent apathy about all things SDSU and DI in his tweets, and even sometimes his articles.

Comment

It's funny how perspectives and biases inform opinions. USD fans swear that Zimmer is a SDSU homer. People on here are upset that he doesn't have a "rooting interest" in SDSU. Good stuff.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                            He's a reporter, not a f***** fan! I'll also disagree that he doesn't care, it's a hell of a lot more fun to write and engage fans on a successful team. People that think a beat writer is a PR man for their beat are delusional.
                            Not at all what I was advocating for. There's a middle ground between apathy and PR man, and I personally feel that Zimmer resides closer to the apathy side of the spectrum rather than the middle. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, including yourself, but that is always the underlying tone I personally receive from his tweets, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I have no problem with Matt's neutral take's at all. And I don't mind when he tells it like it is, whether that be calling out our defensive staff after that debacle in Fargo in December, or reading through the coach speak surrounding the press conference after the WIU upset. My issue is more on his hot takes on twitter that really give off an impression that he'd rather be covering D2. I enjoy his articles and apprecite his coverage. But he has a pretty arrogant tone and comes across as an NSIC fan boy sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                It's funny how perspectives and biases inform opinions. USD fans swear that Zimmer is a SDSU homer. People on here are upset that he doesn't have a "rooting interest" in SDSU. Good stuff.
                                Simply my opinion, but it would be enjoyable to have a reporter who is from here, knows the history through and through, and has a rich appreciation for the university. And there is certainly a route of writing to reflect both that and provide objective analysis. This is really the case for all of the beat writers for your Nebraskas and Iowas. They grew up there, are engrained in the history, some attended the universities, and some even wrote for the school newspapers while there! When the team loses a huge game, you can feel the heartbreak through the words. When they win, you can feel their shared interest and passion. And the result is really beautiful writing.

Now, with Zimmer, it just feels like he's doing his job. Nothing more, nothing less. He was assigned to SDSU by the Argus, he took the assignment, and that's that. But we don't get to bleed the passion with him the next morning when we open up the Argus. And to the point, I certainly don't think the Argus has some obligation to keep the SDSU writer SUPER neutral to appease the USD crowd and the USD writer SUPER neutral to appease us. Granted, the Argus has terrible funding issues and these writers are being asked to write for more things than anyone is capable of. But in a perfect world, our SDSU writer would have gone to SDSU, understand the nuances of the athletic department, know the history,and have a burning passion to write about SDSU sports in an objective manner. It is done many other places outside of South Dakota.

To wrap up this long-winded, off-topic discussion, I'd like to be clear that I have absolutely no qualms with Zim as a person. Seems like a good man and he does his job pretty well. Just feels like more of a job than a dream hobby for him to cover SDSU. Nothing he can control. I do appreciate his coverage. And with that, good night, my friends!

Comment

Working...
                                X