Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
    I was one to be fairly critical of some of Otz’s X’s and O’s. I watched objectively bad defensive fundamentals and I strongly disagreed with playing a 6 man rotation and jerking around playing time with certain players over his three years. We underachieved this year in non-conf and obviously the SLT and I think it’s fair to point that out and discuss on a message board. However, I think I also praised his offense on many occasions and praised him when I agreed with other coaching decisions. Most importantly, I certainly never doubted his character or values and never crossed a line in attacking him personally, and I don’t think really anyone did that on here.

I am happy with the Otz hire in retrospect, thought he represented the university with terrific class, and him “leaving the program in a worse state” is still an open book but certainly not something I agree with as of now. Next year may be a small step back, but the program as a whole is not in a bad place in any way, shape or form. I think he is a good man and pretty good coach who could’ve coached defense better in his time here. And I think this message board largely agreed with that sentiment while also appreciating his service to Brookings and SDSU.

Thank you for sharing your perspective and I’m very happy to hear from a close source that’s Otz thoroughly enjoyed his time here. I hope he knows people had great respect for him as a family man and representative of the university.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion like that on this board. There is only one poster that I can recall that came here with an obvious ax to grind that you can argue crossed the line.

Yoteforever obviously has emotions involved with his opinion of TJ that extend well beyond the basketball court. IMO, that clouds his judgement when it comes to opinions expressed on this board as the vast majority are what amount to constructive criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion like that on this board. There is only one poster that I can recall that came here with an obvious ax to grind that you can argue crossed the line.

Yoteforever obviously has emotions involved with his opinion of TJ that extend well beyond the basketball court. IMO, that clouds his judgement when it comes to opinions expressed on this board as the vast majority are what amount to constructive criticism.
      Yoteforever is one of the few people from USD that I can get along with. Having choice seats at the Iowa State games allowed a friendship to develope and I found it very interesting that when Craig Smith was hired at USD, TJ was also a candidate for which Yoteforever lobbied for and I guess they will be friends for life, and no problems there. I think TJ is in for the challenge of his career at UNLV. With Tark the Shark being still in the minds of UNLV fans along with the success of Lonnie Kruger, those are huge shoes to fill. The Peter principle may be in play here. I dont know. I do wish TJ the best, I think he is a great personality and you hope it helps him in Vegas, but who knows the outcome. We shall see.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        wow that's classy as hell, tbh
        Honor your committments to SDSU, but don't expect me too. I know he just won the lottery so that changes everything!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          Honor your committments to SDSU, but don't expect me too. I know he just won the lottery so that changes everything!
          You must have missed the memo. This thread is only for fawning over TJ. Any mention of him dumping SDSU’s ass for greener pastures is not allowed by law. LMFAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            You must have missed the memo. This thread is only for fawning over TJ. Any mention of him dumping SDSU’s ass for greener pastures is not allowed by law. LMFAO!!!
            Sorry I forgot. Vegas a great place to raise a family.

Comment

Sorry I forgot. Vegas a great place to raise a family.
              So if you were a coach at any university not named SDSU you’d give up $4 million to stay?

Comment

His extension helps out a great deal though? He doesn't sign that extension, and we lose out on the buyout and we lose TJ still and get nothing in return.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

So if you were a coach at any university not named SDSU you’d give up $4 million to stay?
                  I don't think anyone disputes it was a great business move for TJ to take the UNLV job. I think it the timing/outlook that have some of us wondering? JMO

Comment

I don't think anyone disputes it was a great business move for TJ to take the UNLV job. I think it the timing/outlook that have some of us wondering? JMO
                    What’s bad about the timing?

Comment

What’s bad about the timing?
                      Ummmmmmm, we just graduated a All-American, along with 2 fantastic other seniors. We have no real depth or experience. It was a great time for him, not so much for SDSU. See the Caleb Grill thread for any more info.

Comment

Ummmmmmm, we just graduated a All-American, along with 2 fantastic other seniors. We have no real depth or experience. It was a great time for him, not so much for SDSU. See the Caleb Grill thread for any more info.
                        I know. The sky is falling. Better stay in the house.

In a couple years we can add this thread to the overreaction HOF. Just like this beauty: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...-Laramie/page4

Comment

I know. The sky is falling. Better stay in the house.
                          Spare me your sanctimonious attitude. I will still be in the stands next winter for every game, but there is no doubt tis is going to not help SDSU.

Comment

but there is no doubt tis is going to not help SDSU.
                            Just like the women losing to Wyoming ruined their season?

Comment

Just like the women losing to Wyoming ruined their season?
                              Yeah, your right. Losing potentially one of the best recruits we have ever had is great. Maybe if we lose a couple more players n the roster it will help too!

Comment

Yeah, your right. Losing potentially one of the best recruits we have ever had is great. Maybe if we lose a couple more players n the roster it will help too!
                                Lol. My god. Give Hendo a chance.

I’m fairly confident throwing a tantrum on this forum ain’t gonna bring TJ or Caleb back.

I’m willing to give our guys a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X