Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
    Terry Vandrovec was and is the GOAT and I'm still sad he's not the State beat writer. Zimmer is fine, but he pales in comparison and doesn't seem to have any rooting interest for SDSU. He's obviously supposed to be fairly neutral, but between the lines I've never felt he gives one s**t about how SDSU actually performs.
    Nate, I think you’ve spent too much time overseas. What an out of touch post!

Agreed TV was fantastic but Zim also does a great job considering the Argus is 2 or 3 sports reporters lighter than when TV was there.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I am not surprised to see TJ go, but didn't think he would get this type of opportunity for a few more years. Coach Hendo will do a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Agreed TV was fantastic but Zim also does a great job considering the Argus is 2 or 3 sports reporters lighter than when TV was there.

SUPERBUNNY
        This is spot on. When TV was on the beat, that was really his only gig. Zim does a great job for what the AL gives him to work with as a reporter.

Personally, I think that their sports coverage is slowly becoming a bit of a joke. SDSU and USD are both successful, and large enough, to have their own beat writers. SDSU has an excellent journalism department, I would love to see them utilize some of that talent to cover the Jacks.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          This is spot on. When TV was on the beat, that was really his only gig. Zim does a great job for what the AL gives him to work with as a reporter.

Personally, I think that their sports coverage is slowly becoming a bit of a joke. SDSU and USD are both successful, and large enough, to have their own beat writers. SDSU has an excellent journalism department, I would love to see them utilize some of that talent to cover the Jacks.
          Check my longer post from late last night

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
            I, too, agree with Superbunny. A reporter for an independent paper owes us nothing. Given the financial struggles newspapers are having, we probably owe the reporters our support by buying subscriptions (I am not a subscriber to the Argus--feeling a little guilty about that).
            JackJD, BS in Journalsim.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              He's a reporter, not a f***** fan! I'll also disagree that he doesn't care, it's a hell of a lot more fun to write and engage fans on a successful team. People that think a beat writer is a PR man for their beat are delusional.
              I think his point was that TV gave great insider insight without being Bias one way or another. He was also very interactive on Twitter and his weekly chats. He's got a sweet gig now that I would love to have but I miss having him on the beat, plus he loved digging into recruiting where Zimmer has been very vocal about not caring about that. I agree Beat Writers are not to be a fan, but as MontanaRabbit pointed out, it seems he would prefer covering Augie and Amateur Baseball and finds us SDSU Fan obnoxious and inconvenient.

If you asked TV a question and he didn't have an answer he would respond "Not sure but i'll check into when i'm in Brookings next" where Zimmer just brushes you off with an "IDK". He also took a shot at fans yesterday about getting yelled at regarding Ryan Miller not being hired.

Comment

TJ owes Mike Daum a big bit of gratitude for his new opportunity and million dollar raise. In my opinion, TJ didn't trust his abilities to coach and recruit SDSU to success beyond the Mike Daum era and took the first offer out of town. Outside of bringing David Jenkins to SDSU and giving Nagy's recruits a fair amount of space with their abilities I don't see what he did to make the program better.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  TJ owes Mike Daum a big bit of gratitude for his new opportunity and million dollar raise. In my opinion, TJ didn't trust his abilities to coach and recruit SDSU to success beyond the Mike Daum era and took the first offer out of town. Outside of bringing David Jenkins to SDSU and giving Nagy's recruits a fair amount of space with their abilities I don't see what he did to make the program better.
                  Totally agree. He did very little in 3 years to elevate what he inherited to the next level. I’d say underachieved. TJ knew this and was leaving no matter what this off-season IMO. No brainer for him to take the deal but I won’t be signing praises to TJ for his work here. Depending on the outcome of these recruits/Jenkins very possible he simply used our program and set us back 8-10 years leaving a COMPLETE rebuild.

Comment

In my opinion, TJ didn't trust his abilities to coach and recruit SDSU to success beyond the Mike Daum era and took the first offer out of town.
                    So if someone offered you essentially the same job on a larger scale at triple the salary you would turn it down to hone your skills first?

Comment

And his reputation as a top-notch recruiter and the connections he made (eg. McDermott, Hoiberg, Prohm) before he even set foot on campus don't mean anything? We all had a good idea that he wasn't going to be around very long when he became our head coach. Mike certainly elevated himself, our program and TJ's resume but that isn't even close to the biggest reason he got the job at UNLV. He's been on nearly every list of possible candidates for open jobs the past 3 years.

Comment

Wow, tough crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                          He's a reporter, not a f***** fan! I'll also disagree that he doesn't care, it's a hell of a lot more fun to write and engage fans on a successful team. People that think a beat writer is a PR man for their beat are delusional.
                          I was a big TV fan and am also a big fan of Zim's work. They're different. Both great, in my book.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            So if someone offered you essentially the same job on a larger scale at triple the salary you would turn it down to hone your skills first?
                            I just fail to see how he made the program better during his time here. As someone else referenced, he elevated himself and set the program back. Failed to develop or keep the new players he brought to the program. Losing to an 8 seed and failing to get to the tournament with the talent we had is a disgrace.

Comment

I just fail to see how he made the program better during his time here. As someone else referenced, he elevated himself and set the program back. Failed to develop or keep the new players he brought to the program. Losing to an 8 seed and failing to get to the tournament with the talent we had is a disgrace.
                              I think the set the program back is yet to be determined. Sure we lost in the SLT but that was bound to happen. We flirted with disaster several times and somehow found ways to win.

If we keep all our incoming recruits I'm not sure we will really miss a beat next year. We won't be league favorites at the beginning of the year but we certainly won't be a team to take lightly in SF in March.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I, too, agree with Superbunny. A reporter for an independent paper owes us nothing. Given the financial struggles newspapers are having, we probably owe the reporters our support by buying subscriptions (I am not a subscriber to the Argus--feeling a little guilty about that).
                                JackJD, BS in Journalsim.
                                Not specifically calling you our JackJD, but want to point out a response to a tweet from Zimmer. See link.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...81304576933888

I don't personally consider this a professional response from a professional journalist. There is nothing that says he has to agree with this guy but he basically called him an idiot without actually saying it. Debate the guy if you think he merits a response or don't say anything. I'm guessing that gentleman isn't running to buy a subscription to the Argus.

Comment

Working...
                                X