Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
    People thought Nagy left the cupboard bare otz left the roster in twice as worse state.
    How the hell do we know yet? Jesus. We don’t know who is and who isn’t following him if he’s going. There’s only so many roster spots at UNLV. Breath for a second.
    Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    If y'all mother****ers get Tim Miles out of this I will be a sad sad panda.
    That would be the biggest plus out of this for me, should it happen. Ndsu fans would be just besides themselves.
    Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Honestly I’m far more worried about losing DJ and Grill the I am TJ. So many baffling coaching decisions and the lack of ability to coach defense has irritated me. I just felt this year we were an undisplined team that wore out as the season went on, which I directly lay at the coaches feet. If our top players bolt we could be looking at a start up on par to the initial move to D1. Yikes!
    I’m certainly worried about losing both of those guys, no doubt. That said, I don’t think the players are as awful as some people are making them out to be IMO.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Has anyone talked to top scout Tom K about this development?
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

There’s only so many roster spots at UNLV. Breath for a second

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but there are lots of roster spots at UNLV as many players have said they are transferring after their coach was let go

Comment

https://twitter.com/kevinsjuts/statu...27155015360512

He's a Coors Light guy... Nvm... next candidate please.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
            The link below has TJ linked to the Cal job. Anyone heard anything on that? UNLV and Cal are big time moves.

https://247sports.com/college/alabam...hes-130547842/
            Wow! I like TJ and think he may build something here but I don't see what he has done to earn a PAC-12 job. He did bring in Orris for most of 1 season, Howell and Key for a few games and Jenkins Jr for 2 season. I really thought that Hess would be good but you can't help injuries. I'm not saying that some of the red-shirt freshmen or true freshmen won't turn into great players but so far they haven't proven much.
            Do you really want to pay somebody millions that has been a head coach for 3 years and only has a couple of his recruits playing? I know he was known as a recruiter but why do his recruits have to be here 3 years before they are good enough to play? Why did you lose as a #1 seed to the #8 seed this year when you won the tournament the first 2 years? I know you can't win it all every year but shouldn't he be getting better the longer he is here?
            I think he has a great personality, good coach and has a lot of things going for him but is he proven enough to go to Cal??
            I want him to stay. I like Grille and think Wilson can come in and play good ball but moving up that far seems like a reach to me. But that is why I don't have that job and I'm not paid that big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              Wow! I like TJ and think he may build something here but I don't see what he has done to earn a PAC-12 job. He did bring in Orris for most of 1 season, Howell and Key for a few games and Jenkins Jr for 2 season. I really thought that Hess would be good but you can't help injuries. I'm not saying that some of the red-shirt freshmen or true freshmen won't turn into great players but so far they haven't proven much.
              Do you really want to pay somebody millions that has been a head coach for 3 years and only has a couple of his recruits playing? I know he was known as a recruiter but why do his recruits have to be here 3 years before they are good enough to play? Why did you lose as a #1 seed to the #8 seed this year when you won the tournament the first 2 years? I know you can't win it all every year but shouldn't he be getting better the longer he is here?
              I think he has a great personality, good coach and has a lot of things going for him but is he proven enough to go to Cal??
              I want him to stay. I like Grille and think Wilson can come in and play good ball but moving up that far seems like a reach to me. But that is why I don't have that job and I'm not paid that big bucks.
              Took a quick look at the Bear Insider board-- other boards, other threads. No mention that I saw of TJ, same with UNLV. All it takes is one mention from one source (to be expected since this is a successful program) and suddenly we're busy looking for replacements-- something I approve of since speculation is fun.

I said something about Ben McCullom several posts back. I wonder if the D2 board is burning up with "McCullom to SDSU?" Actually I post over there under another name, maybe I can the rumor going all by my self.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Took a quick look at the Bear Insider board-- other boards, other threads. No mention that I saw of TJ, same with UNLV. All it takes is one mention from one source (to be expected since this is a successful program) and suddenly we're busy looking for replacements-- something I approve of since speculation is fun.

I said something about Ben McCullom several posts back. I wonder if the D2 board is burning up with "McCullom to SDSU?" Actually I post over there under another name, maybe I can the rumor going all by my self.
                There are numerous instances of agents doing this to drive up the price for their clients. I don't know if that is what his happening here since TJ already has signed an extension, but what better way to get UNLV to pay a little more than to start a rumor that others are interested.

Comment

McCullom only had one non-starter average more than 10 minutes a game on a team that has gone undefeated so far on the season (meaning plenty of garbage time). Not sure that hire would go well with the anti "short bench" crowd.

In fairness though, I felt only playing 6 players hurt our team late in games and down the stretch, though I'm not clamoring to go 10+ deep either.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Don't let the door hit you on your way out TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      How the hell do we know yet? Jesus. We don’t know who is and who isn’t following him if he’s going. There’s only so many roster spots at UNLV. Breath for a second.

That would be the biggest plus out of this for me, should it happen. Ndsu fans would be just besides themselves.

I’m certainly worried about losing both of those guys, no doubt. That said, I don’t think the players are as awful as some people are making them out to be IMO.
                      Ummm I’m saying if everyone stays this will be the worst team we’ve had in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        Has anyone talked to top scout Tom K about this development?
                        He said it was good move fot TJ.

Comment

Ummm I’m saying if everyone stays this will be the worst team we’ve had in 5 years.
                          Well..it isn't rocket science to think that the team will not be as good as when they had the greatest men's player in school history.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            McCullom only had one non-starter average more than 10 minutes a game on a team that has gone undefeated so far on the season (meaning plenty of garbage time). Not sure that hire would go well with the anti "short bench" crowd.

In fairness though, I felt only playing 6 players hurt our team late in games and down the stretch, though I'm not clamoring to go 10+ deep either.
                            You're right. He usually goes eight or nine deep at Lindenwood, just because they're inept and it's a thirty or forty point blowout.

BTW-- If you put them in a Massey Ratings matchup with SDSU (and I realize cross division matchups are always suspect), they win 70% of matchups at a neutral court. Average score 79-73. Not overly athletic compared to Memphis or even SDSU (I only saw Memphis, Omaha and WIU this year), but extremely well coached. Spend about fifteen minutes during warmups without taking a shot-just running complex weaves. Saw St. Cloud State do that in the late fifties at Huron College and they won a holiday tournament with hideously low scoring games, like 1935 low scoring. This is not that retro. Their earlier teams were built around Justin Pitts who was a sawed off little guard, like Brandon Key but a lot better. Anyway-- doubt if he'd make any short list and doubt if he can d1 recruit, but he can coach and getting to the elite eight undefeated is pretty good, even for D2.

And it's easier to get someone making $130K (estimate, don't know) happy with $375K than someone making $1.4 million.

Comment

You're right. He usually goes eight or nine deep at Lindenwood, just because they're inept and it's a thirty or forty point blowout.

BTW-- If you put them in a Massey Ratings matchup with SDSU (and I realize cross division matchups are always suspect), they win 70% of matchups at a neutral court. Average score 79-73. Not overly athletic compared to Memphis or even SDSU (I only saw Memphis, Omaha and WIU this year), but extremely well coached. Spend about fifteen minutes during warmups without taking a shot-just running complex weaves. Saw St. Cloud State do that in the late fifties at Huron College and they won a holiday tournament with hideously low scoring games, like 1935 low scoring. This is not that retro. Their earlier teams were built around Justin Pitts who was a sawed off little guard, like Brandon Key but a lot better. Anyway-- doubt if he'd make any short list and doubt if he can d1 recruit, but he can coach and getting to the elite eight undefeated is pretty good, even for D2.

And it's easier to get someone making $130K (estimate, don't know) happy with $375K than someone making $1.4 million.
                              Saw the Bearcats play twice this year and I agree, they are very well coached. No clue if McCullom would be a good fit or not, but if Justin Sell felt he was the right candidate, I wouldn't be opposed to the hire.

That said, the cart is rolling down the hill without the horse at this point. We still have a coach as of now.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Well, I'm saying if everyone stays, we'll win the Summit League next year. You can bookmark this quote if you'd like.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X