Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TJ Going to UNLV?

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I just fail to see how he made the program better during his time here. As someone else referenced, he elevated himself and set the program back. Failed to develop or keep the new players he brought to the program. Losing to an 8 seed and failing to get to the tournament with the talent we had is a disgrace.
    1 - Are you 100% sure Daum and the other underclassmen would have stayed here 3 years ago if TJ wouldn't have been the new coach ? I have heard both Mike and Telly say there was talk of transferring before they met TJ. ; 2 - Are you 100% sure that Daum would have stayed and not Mooney-ed us a year ago if TJ hadn't been the coach ?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      I just fail to see how he made the program better during his time here. As someone else referenced, he elevated himself and set the program back. Failed to develop or keep the new players he brought to the program. Losing to an 8 seed and failing to get to the tournament with the talent we had is a disgrace.
      I agree with everything you say in this post....it was when you assumed he bailed because he took a job at three times the salary, that is something that almost all of us would have done. But yea, three years in and we are sitting with a sophomore and a bunch of freshman and redshirt freshman, definitely not good on the roster management part.

Comment

Lest we forget, when TJ took over:

1. We had no idea if anyone would stay. (Daum and Telly were the big names, and they thought about transferring) - He also had to replace the ENTIRE coaching staff, except for Coach Klink.
        2. Their were a number of open roster spots, he filled in with Wallace, El Darwich, Chris Howell, Michael Orris, and AJ Hess. (That's 5 guys he brought in, late in the recruiting period...2 of them paid off big time that season, Howell and Orris)
        3. It took a LONG time to get that team turned around, could have been easy to for that team to pack it in (not our year)... but they bounced back, got the 4 seed in the Summit, won the tournament.
        4. The next season, he won the school's first outright Summit League Title, and the Conference tournament. (and brought in David Jenkins ALONG with 4 other Freshmen, who redshirted... the cupboard was kinda bare? or more bare than some would believe)
        5. This past season, he won the school's second outright Summit League title, and yes, they lost in the tournament. (and brought in another 3 freshmen, 1 of whom did not redshirt)
        6. In the coming season, he recruited 4 guys... 3 HS, and JuCo... including the highest rated recruit in school history. (now we don't know if Caleb Grill will come or not, and no Word on Wilson yet, either)

But I think to say the program is worse than when he inherited it, is just false. He convinced an all american and an all conference player to stay. He added solid recruits every year. And we are now loaded with young players.

Will this lead to some growing pains? Yes. Probably. When you lose the school's all time scoring and rebounding leader, along with 2 other seniors, that is going to happen.

But some are acting like he walked into a ready made to win the Conference situation, and that's just not the case.

I see people criticize his short bench. And I struggle with that too. But that is simply the way he coaches. That's what he believes in. It didn't change from year 1, to year 2, to year 3. That is how he likes to do it.

I know better than to try to convince people of their beliefs online... and I know I won't. But I just couldn't sit and read all these posts denigrating Coach Otz. It just rings hollow, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          1 - Are you 100% sure Daum and the other underclassmen would have stayed here 3 years ago if TJ wouldn't have been the new coach ? I have heard both Mike and Telly say there was talk of transferring before they met TJ. ; 2 - Are you 100% sure that Daum would have stayed and not Mooney-ed us a year ago if TJ hadn't been the coach ?
          Everyone saying TJ kept Daum around are forgetting Mike had no other option. He already red shirted and would have lost a year of eligibility. At that time NCAA was still really tight granting immediate eligibility. All the other guys were regional and their families could attend games so i think we're over hyping the notion that "That everyone on the team was ready to transfer".

I do see this program having a couple of down years so JACKGUYII is not off. TJ really didn't prove that he could develop players or consistently recruit. Minus DJJ & Arians, the kids he brought in are bench/role players or transferred. TJ is a great marketer and used some of his connections to make the SDSU Brand more relevant but I'm not sold he made the program better.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Wow, tough crowd.
            Not nearly as tough as the utter snarkiness awaiting him in Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
              Everyone saying TJ kept Daum around are forgetting Mike had no other option. He already red shirted and would have lost a year of eligibility. At that time NCAA was still really tight granting immediate eligibility. All the other guys were regional and their families could attend games so i think we're over hyping the notion that "That everyone on the team was ready to transfer".

I do see this program having a couple of down years so JACKGUYII is not off. TJ really didn't prove that he could develop players or consistently recruit. Minus DJJ & Arians, the kids he brought in are bench/role players or transferred. TJ is a great marketer and used some of his connections to make the SDSU Brand more relevant but I'm not sold he made the program better.
              Agree Daum didn't have many options when TJ first got here but TJ sure did have a lot to do with Daum not grad transferring before his final year at SDSU.

da_coach had a great post above. Verdict is still out how bare TJ left the cupboard! I for one appreciate his time here and the two regular season crowns he brought to Brookings. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Not specifically calling you our JackJD, but want to point out a response to a tweet from Zimmer. See link.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...81304576933888

I don't personally consider this a professional response from a professional journalist. There is nothing that says he has to agree with this guy but he basically called him an idiot without actually saying it. Debate the guy if you think he merits a response or don't say anything. I'm guessing that gentleman isn't running to buy a subscription to the Argus.
                I like that Matt shares his personality in that way. Maybe SDSU fans are too sensitive for that, though. Do we need a cheerleader to make us feel good?
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

https://twitter.com/MikeGrimala/stat...100003840?s=19
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

wow that's classy as hell, tbh
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I recognize Zim has his, ummm, idiosyncrasies. I also think sports reporting is a little different than say, reporting the crime beat. Sports reporting has room from more entertainment than other reporting — that’s not to say there’s no entertainment in other hard news reporting. I’ll stick with my view that a reporter doesn’t owe SDSU fans anything. As readers, we can decide whether the reporters work is worth our attention. In today’s climate in whic a lot of people are abandoning newspapers, newspaper publishers and their staffs have to provide a product people are going to read. That’s a tough issue right now.

I agree, Montana, that a pro shouldn’t get into such a debate on Twitter. Rarely should a journalist respond to a reader who takes issue with the reporter’s work.

i like reading Zim’s stuff published in the Argus. (I don't follow him -- or anyone -- on Twitter.)
                      Last edited by JackJD; 03-28-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I recognize Zim has his, ummm, idiosyncrasies. I also think sports reporting is a little different than say, reporting the crime beat. Sports reporting has room from more entertainment than other reporting — that’s not to say there’s no entertainment in other hard news reporting. I’ll stick with my view that a reporter doesn’t owe SDSU fans anything. As readers, we can decide whether the reporters work is worth our attention. In today’s climate in whic a lot of people are abandoning newspapers, newspaper publishers and their staffs have to provide a product people are going to read. That’s a tough issue right now.

I agree, Montana, that a pro shouldn’t get into such a debate on Twitter. Rarely should a journalist respond to a reader who takes issue with the reporter’s work.

i like reading Zim’s stuff published in the Argus. (I don't follow him -- or anyone -- on Twitter.)
                        I agree 100 per cent with JackJD comments. Zimm may gotten into a piss fight with a skunk. I do respect most if not all of what Zimm has said as SDSU beat writer. We all have our weak moments, like all the time for me, and this was one for Zimm. I hope this does not have an impact on his job as a beat writer for the Argus. I was also impressed with Stu Whitney's story on AJ. I dont think it is fair compare AJ and Stig with Otz. Otz to me was a very good coach who adapted to Brookings very quickly and he reminded me of Coach Rueben Frost. I was as I stated more than once witness to his final season as basketball coach at SDSU. Frost was very family oriented as was Otz. Both were very laid back and humble as coaches. They saved their audibles for timeouts and practice. Most of all, the players love Coach Otz, and that is so important. I am sorry to see Coach Otz move on but opportunity knocks only once. I like the concept of promoting from within. Its gives us continuity as a program.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I agree 100 per cent with JackJD comments. Zimm may gotten into a piss fight with a skunk. I do respect most if not all of what Zimm has said as SDSU beat writer. We all have our weak moments, like all the time for me, and this was one for Zimm. I hope this does not have an impact on his job as a beat writer for the Argus. I was also impressed with Stu Whitney's story on AJ. I dont think it is fair compare AJ and Stig with Otz. Otz to me was a very good coach who adapted to Brookings very quickly and he reminded me of Coach Rueben Frost. I was as I stated more than once witness to his final season as basketball coach at SDSU. Frost was very family oriented as was Otz. Both were very laid back and humble as coaches. They saved their audibles for timeouts and practice. Most of all, the players love Coach Otz, and that is so important. I am sorry to see Coach Otz move on but opportunity knocks only once. I like the concept of promoting from within. Its gives us continuity as a program.
                          Words of a very wise man. I can tell you for a fact that TJ loved being your basketball coach. He embraced living in Brookings and being a part of your community.

Fact 1: TJ is an outstanding family man. Those values carried over onto how he coached your young athletes. Family first

Fact 2: TJ was extremely loyal to SDSU. None of you are aware of what opportunities he had last year when your team nearly knocked off Ohio State in the NCAA’s. He was loyal to you, your AD, and more specifically your players.

Fact 3: TJ recruited Mike Daum twice. Once when he came, the 2nd time after the Ohio State loss. Mike was very close to transferring, and I fully believe would’ve if T.J. left. They basically agreed to stay for each other.

Fact 4: Your players loved T.J. And they will embrace your new coach. You have a very wise and street savvy athletic director. As Nidaros said the continuity is critically important.

Fact 5: The economic impact to T.J. and his family is without debate. Over 5 years TJ would gross over $5M, and knowing how conservative he is, it would allow him to save over $3M for his family and retirement. If money doubles every 10 years, that would make this coaching move worth $12M to him and family at age 66. Although many of you don’t care for my opinion on here I would seriously question anyone’s mentality that wouldn’t accept that offer for the betterment of his family and opportunities he can give them.

Fact 6: In his press conference the question of transfers from SDSU came up. He basically said he met with his team and told them to “honor” their commitments to the Jacks. I know TJ personally, those are not empty words.

I’ll close by saying this. Treat your new coach with a little more respect and faith in his abilities than you did TJ. For 3 years I have read on this board about how bad he was here, or bad there...why didn’t he get out of zone, why did he sub players like he did, why he couldn’t coach a lick of defense, he isn’t loyal, I could go on and on. T.J. did a hell of a job in his 3 years for you. The brow beating you put on him after the WIU loss was laughable. Upsets happen every day. That’s why they play the game. If you don’t think that loss shook at his very core you know nothing about him.

TJ was my choice when USD hired Craig Smith. It didn’t happen. Our loss, your gain. T.J. can flat out coach and recruit. I will not divulge how many opportunities he had to move after last year but you can take to the bank there were a number of them to places more prestigious than SDSU or USD and he didn’t take them with the opportunity to make far more pay. But he didnt go. He didn’t want to betray his A.D. and you as fans. Lighten up on the criticism of him, he doesn’t deserve it. And I can’t remember who posted a few back that “you felt betrayed” ? Good grief, take a chill pill. You’ve had good fortune to have had good coaches in the past, dont blow it.

Support your new coach emphatically as he took lessons from one of the best.
                          Last edited by yoteforever; 03-29-2019, 04:23 AM.

Comment

As far as the Ryan Miller thing, I think he is waiting to do a package deal with Mike Miller eventually so I doubt he would leave his position as an assistant at TCU right now so it wouldn't have even mattered if Sell contacted him imo
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

• TJ Going to UNLV?

I’m with Yoteforever. Those were three fun years of SDSU basketball. It didn’t end like I wanted but I realize that they sure as hell didn’t come up with the term “March Madness” because the higher seed always wins in do-or-die tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                Words of a very wise man. I can tell you for a fact that TJ loved being your basketball coach. He embraced living in Brookings and being a part of your community.

Fact 1: TJ is an outstanding family man. Those values carried over onto how he coached your young athletes. Family first

Fact 2: TJ was extremely loyal to SDSU. None of you are aware of what opportunities he had last year when your team nearly knocked off Ohio State in the NCAA’s. He was loyal to you, your AD, and more specifically your players.

Fact 3: TJ recruited Mike Daum twice. Once when he came, the 2nd time after the Ohio State loss. Mike was very close to transferring, and I fully believe would’ve if T.J. left. They basically agreed to stay for each other.

Fact 4: Your players loved T.J. And they will embrace your new coach. You have a very wise and street savvy athletic director. As Nidaros said the continuity is critically important.

Fact 5: The economic impact to T.J. and his family is without debate. Over 5 years TJ would gross over $5M, and knowing how conservative he is, it would allow him to save over $3M for his family and retirement. If money doubles every 10 years, that would make this coaching move worth $12M to him and family at age 66. Although many of you don’t care for my opinion on here I would seriously question anyone’s mentality that wouldn’t accept that offer for the betterment of his family and opportunities he can give them.

Fact 6: In his press conference the question of transfers from SDSU came up. He basically said he met with his team and told them to “honor” their commitments to the Jacks. I know TJ personally, those are not empty words.

I’ll close by saying this. Treat your new coach with a little more respect and faith in his abilities than you did TJ. For 3 years I have read on this board about how bad he was here, or bad there...why didn’t he get out of zone, why did he sub players like he did, why he couldn’t coach a lick of defense, he isn’t loyal, I could go on and on. T.J. did a hell of a job in his 3 years for you. The brow beating you put on him after the WIU loss was laughable. Upsets happen every day. That’s why they play the game. If you don’t think that loss shook at his very core you know nothing about him.

TJ was my choice when USD hired Craig Smith. It didn’t happen. Our loss, your gain. T.J. can flat out coach and recruit. I will not divulge how many opportunities he had to move after last year but you can take to the bank there were a number of them to places more prestigious than SDSU or USD and he didn’t take them with the opportunity to make far more pay. But he didnt go. He didn’t want to betray his A.D. and you as fans. Lighten up on the criticism of him, he doesn’t deserve it. And I can’t remember who posted a few back that “you felt betrayed” ? Good grief, take a chill pill. You’ve had good fortune to have had good coaches in the past, dont blow it.

Support your new coach emphatically as he took lessons from one of the best.
                                Thanks for some of the outside rationality, you would swear Otz slept with some of our posters and twitter peeps wives or took a crap on their car or something the way they are acting about him since he left. Is the program undoubtedly better from when he took over, probably not, but it is also definitely no worse for wear either and if we can keep either DJ or Grill that's a big ol win and if we keep both then TJ left us in a really golden situation.

Enjoy the ride Jacks fans, if we want to be successful this is going to happen every 3-5 years, that's our spot in he food chain. The longevity of Stig, AJ, and Nagy probably won't every be seen again by SDSU or any other successful mid major program.

Comment

Working...
                                X