• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NIT vs. Texas

You're welcome.

Comment

Once Nate graduated most people thought we would never see anyone like him and he would be the greatest jackrabbit to ever play. I personally thought that as well as I thought we should have retired his number for what he meant to the jackrabbits program. Then Mike came around and to some(most) took over the greatest of all time to put on a Jackrabbit uniform. Now some think we might be in trouble without Daum. Teams to come will definitely have a different look but when you lose a player like Daum things have to change. New players have to step up and take over this team. That player will undoubtedly be David Jenkins Jr. Does he make some boneheaded plays every now and then yes he does but what we need to realize is he is only a sophmore. These are the freshman and sophmore year totals from Wolters who again is consider one of the greatest of all time at SDSU and Jenkins. Can you tell who's is who's and you tell me who had a better first two years.

GP- GS Min/Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-3FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off-Def Tot Avg Ast TO BLk Stl Pts/Avg
      67-54 2089/31.2 388-872 0.445 196-467 0.420 222-279 0.796 24-197 221 3.3 106 143 0 28 1194/17.8
      61-42 1758/28.7 286-668 0.416 62-158 0.386 273-337 0.813 53-191 244 4.0 274 131 15 76 907/14.8
      The first one is Jenkins and the second one is Nate. Jenkins has done this while playing second fiddle to Mike for 2 years. Yes that may have helped some because everyone game planned to stop Mike but he also had to share the ball with Mike and the team made sure that Mike still got his. If Mike wasn't who he was and we had a sophomore doing what Jenkins is doing everyone would be ecstatic for the future especially since we get to team him up with Caleb Grill for the next 2 years. If Jenkins stays for 2 more years (no reason to think otherwise) he will have a chance to change or join SDSU and NCAA record books. He will more than likely break Mikes career 3 point record sometime mid season next season and if he continues shooting 3s at a similar rate he has a chance to be in the top 10 all-time in 3 pointers made. He also has a shot to make SDSU only the second team ever (joining Houston) with 2 players in the top 25 all-scoring list. If he averages 21.5/game for 35 games each year that will get him there. If he average 25.8/game for 35 games each year he will make SDSU the first school to ever have two 3000 point scorers. Considering he will be the go to player for the next 2 years non of this is totally out of the realm of possibilities.

Sorry for the book of a post but I was watching games tonight and started thinking about things. Mike and Nate are both great players and will be forever considered two of the greatest of all time but I just feel like Jenkins is being overshadowed and under appreciated for what he has done his first 2 years here. I don't understand how people can watch him play and not see the potential of the future with him, Arians (who I think will be really good when he is asked to score more), Owen King when he gets a larger roll, and the other freshman when they get a chance and with Caleb Grill coming in. This program has definitely not hit its peek. Next year may be a slight down year with losing so much and so much unknown but this program is definitely still trending up.
      Last edited by Carolina010; 03-21-2019, 11:01 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
        Once Nate graduated most people thought we would never see anyone like him and he would be the greatest jackrabbit to ever play. I personally thought that as well as I thought we should have retired his number for what he meant to the jackrabbits program. Then Mike came around and to some(most) took over the greatest of all time to put on a Jackrabbit uniform. Now some think we might be in trouble without Daum. Teams to come will definitely have a different look but when you lose a player like Daum things have to change. New players have to step up and take over this team. That player will undoubtedly be David Jenkins Jr. Does he make some boneheaded plays every now and then yes he does but what we need to realize is he is only a sophmore. These are the freshman and sophmore year totals from Wolters who again is consider one of the greatest of all time at SDSU and Jenkins. Can you tell who's is who's and you tell me who had a better first two years.

GP- GS Min/Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-3FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off-Def Tot Avg Ast TO BLk Stl Pts/Avg
        67-54 2089/31.2 388-872 0.445 196-467 0.420 222-279 0.796 24-197 221 3.3 106 143 0 28 1194/17.8
        61-42 1758/28.7 286-668 0.416 62-158 0.386 273-337 0.813 53-191 244 4.0 274 131 15 76 907/14.8
        The first one is Jenkins and the second one is Nate. Jenkins has done this while playing second fiddle to Mike for 2 years. Yes that may have helped some because everyone game planned to stop Mike but he also had to share the ball with Mike and the team made sure that Mike still got his. If Mike wasn't who he was and we had a sophomore doing what Jenkins is doing everyone would be ecstatic for the future especially since we get to team him up with Caleb Grill for the next 2 years. If Jenkins stays for 2 more years (no reason to think otherwise) he will have a chance to change or join SDSU and NCAA record books. He will more than likely break Mikes career 3 point record sometime mid season next season and if he continues shooting 3s at a similar rate he has a chance to be in the top 10 all-time in 3 pointers made. He also has a shot to make SDSU only the second team ever (joining Houston) with 2 players in the top 25 all-scoring list. If he averages 21.5/game for 35 games each year that will get him there. If he average 25.8/game for 35 games each year he will make SDSU the first school to ever have two 3000 point scorers. Considering he will be the go to player for the next 2 years non of this is totally out of the realm of possibilities.

Sorry for the book of a post but I was watching games tonight and started thinking about things. Mike and Nate are both great players and will be forever considered two of the greatest of all time but I just feel like Jenkins is being overshadowed and under appreciated for what he has done his first 2 years here. I don't understand how people can watch him play and not see the potential of the future with him, Arians (who I think will be really good when he is asked to score more), Owen King when he gets a larger roll, and the other freshman when they get a chance and with Caleb Grill coming in. This program has definitely not hit its peek. Next year may be a slight down year with losing so much and so much unknown but this program is definitely still trending up.
        Great post.

I personally think we are going to take some serious lumps during the early part of the season next year. But once our young guys get comfortable we will be okay. Not saying we are going to win the conference but come Sioux Falls March 2020, I doubt anyone is going to want to play us. That is of course, if we can figure out some way to play defense.

I also agree DJJ has been really good the past two years but if he becomes more efficient with his shot selection, look out! He also has to figure out how to at least act like he knows what he's doing on the defensive end. He's a huge liability on that end and it gets really frustrating.

Comment

Very good post. Jenkins is special.

It's similar to people who didn't like Taryn Christion. I don't get it.

Comment

DJJ shot more with a higher rate of accuracy. On the other hand, Nate had more FT, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. As great as Nate was, DJJ simply is a better shooter. However, if filling up a stat sheet means you are a complete player, DJJ has a ways to go.

This almost sounds like a Wolters/Woodside comparison from back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
              DJJ shot more with a higher rate of accuracy. On the other hand, Nate had more FT, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals. As great as Nate was, DJJ simply is a better shooter. However, if filling up a stat sheet means you are a complete player, DJJ has a ways to go.

It will return that the team should be different next year. The rebounds of Daum will need to go somewhere and the points will need to go somewhere. It is likely more than one person will fill those needs and it is likely that DJJ will improve his game on some other stats. I remember that Nate handled the ball a bunch nearly every possession. Who has done that since(not even Brayden Carlson at point)? We will see great basketball next season and it will be a different team, but it will still be a winning team. Nate and Mike are gone, but the team will stay on the trajectory.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

When comparing Nate's numbers to DJJ's, the thing we need to remember is that they don't play the same position. Nate as a PG was in charge of running the offense. He took a higher number of shots than most PG's, but he still had a wider range of responsibilities. As a SG, Jenkins main role was to get himself open and put up a high number of shots. Both are guards, but comparing their offensive stats are kind of like comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  When comparing Nate's numbers to DJJ's, the thing we need to remember is that they don't play the same position. Nate as a PG was in charge of running the offense. He took a higher number of shots than most PG's, but he still had a wider range of responsibilities. As a SG, Jenkins main role was to get himself open and put up a high number of shots. Both are guards, but comparing their offensive stats are kind of like comparing apples to oranges.
                  I wonder if DJJ will take on more of a PG role next year since he and Grill play the same position. Or does one of them slide to the 3, with Ariens at the 4, and King at point?
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    I wonder if DJJ will take on more of a PG role next year since he and Grill play the same position. Or does one of them slide to the 3, with Ariens at the 4, and King at point?
                    I really don't see DJJ as a point guard type of player. His A/TO ratio is horrible and he doesn't seem to react to on-ball pressure all that well. I'm guessing the PG will be between Mims and King.

Comment

• Re: NIT vs. Texas

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      I really don't see DJJ as a point guard type of player. His A/TO ratio is horrible and he doesn't seem to react to on-ball pressure all that well. I'm guessing the PG will be between Mims and King.
                      I fully agree, I don't think we want to depend on DJJ a point.

Comment

Nate and jenkins are different types of guards but while Nate was very good at getting other people the ball at the right time in the right place I still consider him a score first point guard. I was more looking at the efficiency of each. Jenkins shot more with greater success. I don’t think you will see him be the starting point guard but I do think we will see the ball in his hands a lot in late game and late shot clock situations. He definitely needs to get better at defense but I also think we will see him guarding the other teams worst offensive player so he can preserve his energy for the offensive end because we will need him to score a lot next year.

I would expect to see Arians take a big step forward in scoring next year so he will take some of what Daum is leaving and if grill comes in as good as advertised he will be expected to score from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          Very good post. Jenkins is special.

It's similar to people who didn't like Taryn Christion. I don't get it.
                          Jenkins made 112 3's this season putting him at 196 for his career. Just to put in perspective how good that is, if he can average 100 made 3's his last two seasons that would put him in the top 20 all time for career 3's made.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            I’d like to see one of these guys come off the bench to give the team another spark It’s brutal how few minutes the freshman got for next year. In some ways it feels like a wasted year; however, I think this team will be alright next year if Otz can get them to play defense. We have a lot of minutes available. As someone mentioned above, when March rolls around no one will want to play SDSU.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Looks like Texas is going to the NIT title game against Lipscomb.

Comment

I will say that DJJ is hands down the better 3-point shooter. Nate did struggle with his FG% his freshman year but DJJ's first 2 years and Nate's last 3 years are all comparable. DJJ almost shot as good from 3-point land (.453) as he did from 2-point land (.458). Nate on the other hand was much better inside the arc. Not much better that DJJ but better than Nate's 3-point %.
                                DJJ has more TO's (143) than assists (106) over his first 2 years. Nate on the other hand had 669 assists to 283 TO's. I think this year DJJ had more TO's than any other Jack (except Daum's sophomore (??) year) in PROBABLY the last 10 years. You have him bring the ball up the court and that number would probably be much higher.
                                DJJ is a really good player and SDSU is a better team with him. I can see him breaking 3-points shooting records but seeing him play PG or being a great stat stuffer is a little stretch for me (as of now).
                                Last edited by 91jack; 04-03-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X