• Show
Clear All

Re: NIT vs. Texas

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Jenkins may average 20 shots a game next year
    I'll take the over.

Comment

Thought we got desperate with the threes too early. Daum had been pretty efficient around the basket, but they kind of abandoned that.

Comment

The best player in program history putting on an epic performance and we don't get him the ball in the final minute because someone else wants to play disgusting hero ball. After playing sloppy, disengaged, lazy basketball to give Texas momentum back after we took the lead.

I'm going to log off before I say more than I should. Congrats to Mike Daum on a hell of a career. I would've liked to watch you play further in this tournament.

Comment

Going to be so weird without Daum out there next year. His senior year ends with a thud.

Speaking of Jenkins, if he averages 25 a game over the next 2 years (35 games a year), he COULD sniff 3,000 points. He is frustrating to watch sometimes but he is lethal from three. It’s David’s team now.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
            Going to be so weird without Daum out there next year. His senior year ends with a thud.

Speaking of Jenkins, if he averages 25 a game over the next 2 years (35 games a year), he COULD sniff 3,000 points. He is frustrating to watch sometimes but he is lethal from three. It’s David’s team now.
            Yes it will be weird without Daum. No doubt the greatest to date.

Comment

Sad seeing Daum go out like this with these last 2 games. He deserved better. Going to miss Tevin King and Skylar Fatten as well, 2 really solid players. Thanks to these guys for some really fun basketball over the past few years.

So Dentlinger and Krueger play again. Why does TJ think these two should only play against top teams? Both guys do things this team needed - rebound and defense with most importantly taking pressure off Daum in those areas. We made runs against Texas and Nevada with those guys in the game. Best win vs GCU was a big Dentlinger game. I know I’ve said it before but still baffled how these two weren’t a regular part of the rotation every night. This game is just another example of why this should have been the case. I imagine their play would have been much improved as well with regular minutes. The starters often looked gassed especially down the stretch. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Comment

Thanks for taking us on an awesome ride the last four years!

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                  Sad seeing Daum go out like this with these last 2 games. He deserved better. Going to miss Tevin King and Skylar Fatten as well, 2 really solid players. Thanks to these guys for some really fun basketball over the past few years.

So Dentlinger and Krueger play again. Why does TJ think these two should only play against top teams? Both guys do things this team needed - rebound and defense with most importantly taking pressure off Daum in those areas. We made runs against Texas and Nevada with those guys in the game. Best win vs GCU was a big Dentlinger game. I know I’ve said it before but still baffled how these two weren’t a regular part of the rotation every night. This game is just another example of why this should have been the case. I imagine their play would have been much improved as well with regular minutes. The starters often looked gassed especially down the stretch. I just can’t wrap my head around it.
                  I agree that the player rotation (or lack thereof) was baffling (especially since TJ is on record saying the freshman are good). I've said it before, but I firmly believe our main guys were gassed down the stretch this season. They just logged too many minutes.

Going back to last night. I'm disappointed. We should have won that game. Not could have, should have. The 19-0 start just killed us. I admire the fight by our guys. It would have been easy to pack it in but they didn't. That's a testament to the leadership from our seniors.

Comment

Great senior classes have key players that fill roles and create identities. These two epitomize this.

Comment

That was a good showing last night, could have easily won that game. I gotta say, after the first several minutes I was worried that State was going to embarrass the Summit League. Not a good look for our champ to get beat by 40. After the first few minutes though you really outplayed them. I was also happy to see Daum get going and have a good game. It really looks poor for the Summit when he has a poor game in one of these types of games (how the hell did he score 3,000 points on you guys?) so I was happy that he was able to show everyone what he could do. I would have liked to see him get the ball more down the stretch. What a great career though. I would probably put him #2 at State in the DI era. I know most of you probably have him #1, but I always felt that Nate Walters had a bigger impact on the game, primarily because a PG has the ball in his hands all the time and a big man is often at the mercy of his PG (see Daum down the stretch last night), but nobody can put Daum any worse than 2, and like I said most would put him #1.
                      State's losing some good players, I haven't followed your recruiting so I will be interested to see what TJ has to replace these guys. I always hear he is known for his recruiting so I'm sure he's got some studs in waiting.

Comment

Thanks to a great group of seniors that won a ton of games. It has been fun watching these guys progress and they certainly gave us plenty of exciting moments.

I agree with you guys about the player rotation and wishing we played 8-9 instead of 6-7. I'm not there at practice so I'm not privy to the strategy, but it's frustrating to watch when the main guys look worn down and the redshirt freshmen still look rusty at the end of the year. Hopefully we keep the current group together and get a chance to watch them make it "their team". I think we're still in good shape to battle for a trip back to the NCAA tourney next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          Thanks to a great group of seniors that won a ton of games. It has been fun watching these guys progress and they certainly gave us plenty of exciting moments.

I agree with you guys about the player rotation and wishing we played 8-9 instead of 6-7. I'm not there at practice so I'm not privy to the strategy, but it's frustrating to watch when the main guys look worn down and the redshirt freshmen still look rusty at the end of the year. Hopefully we keep the current group together and get a chance to watch them make it "their team". I think we're still in good shape to battle for a trip back to the NCAA tourney next year.
                          I only get to two or three games a year, since it's close to a thousand miles on my car for every game, so you all know more than I do.... however, I'm troubled by the ones that get away.

If I remember correctly-- Tevaunn Prince was a mess while playing for Scott Nagy-- probably only saw him play once or twice-- one of those being UMKC. Constantly charging into crowds and looking clumsy.

Saw him for two years in the MIAA, and he was clearly a D1 playing D2 ball. Wonderful moves, averaged almost 27 ppg his senior year. Got 17 ppg playing in Germany. IMO he was under coached, and under played at SDSU. Was not happy to see him go, because I thought he was a train wreck but I saw him totally demolish opponents at the D2 level. Think he averaged about 6 ppg at SDSU. More than most of those bench sitting redshirts.

I suspect one could say the same thing about Logan Doyle, but I never saw him post State.

Hope there's not under utilized talent on this year's team that wanders away because they didn't like living on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                            I only get to two or three games a year, since it's close to a thousand miles on my car for every game, so you all know more than I do.... however, I'm troubled by the ones that get away.

If I remember correctly-- Tevaunn Prince was a mess while playing for Scott Nagy-- probably only saw him play once or twice-- one of those being UMKC. Constantly charging into crowds and looking clumsy.

Saw him for two years in the MIAA, and he was clearly a D1 playing D2 ball. Wonderful moves, averaged almost 27 ppg his senior year. Got 17 ppg playing in Germany. IMO he was under coached, and under played at SDSU. Was not happy to see him go, because I thought he was a train wreck but I saw him totally demolish opponents at the D2 level. Think he averaged about 6 ppg at SDSU. More than most of those bench sitting redshirts.

I suspect one could say the same thing about Logan Doyle, but I never saw him post State.

Hope there's not under utilized talent on this year's team that wanders away because they didn't like living on the bench.
                            I can say with a fair bit of confidence Logan Doyle wouldn't have been a big time contributor at State ever. He was right at home at Northern. Good DII player far from great.

I will also add this. Not everyone can be a superstar for the Jacks. If a certain player is unwilling or can't fill a role on the team he's probably not going to get much playing time. That doesn't mean that player is bad or the Nagy or TJ are bad coaches. We've been to 5 NCAA tournaments in what the last 8 years? I find it really hard to be too critical about a player leaving. We as fans have such a small understanding about what goes on within the program and each players situation is different.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              I can say with a fair bit of confidence Logan Doyle wouldn't have been a big time contributor at State ever. He was right at home at Northern. Good DII player far from great.

I will also add this. Not everyone can be a superstar for the Jacks. If a certain player is unwilling or can't fill a role on the team he's probably not going to get much playing time. That doesn't mean that player is bad or the Nagy or TJ are bad coaches. We've been to 5 NCAA tournaments in what the last 8 years? I find it really hard to be too critical about a player leaving. We as fans have such a small understanding about what goes on within the program and each players situation is different.
                              A large number of transfers have become a fact of life in college basketball. I saw today that there are 275+ players already on the NCAA transfer portal and the season isn't even over yet. Some of these are due to bad fits at a school or because of a coach leaving/getting fired, but the majority are likely due to players thinking they deserve more playing time than they got. Time will tell if that is the case or if it is a situation of a player over-estimating his playing ability.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                A large number of transfers have become a fact of life in college basketball. I saw today that there are 275+ players already on the NCAA transfer portal and the season isn't even over yet. Some of these are due to bad fits at a school or because of a coach leaving/getting fired, but the majority are likely due to players thinking they deserve more playing time than they got. Time will tell if that is the case or if it is a situation of a player over-estimating his playing ability.
                                Right. Now if we weren't winning, I'd say maybe being a little more critical is warranted but we've been pretty darn successful. See NDSU women's basketball. Not only are they awful on the court, they have lost a ton of players.

Comment

Working...
                                X