Yankton-OG Boy's Semi-Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankton-OG Boy's Semi-Final

Did anyone see the end of the Yankton-OG boy's game last night ? Yankton was up by one and OG hit a shot that did not get off before the buzzer, but was called good by the officials. The replay showed that the ball was still in the shooter's hands when the red light came on, but South Dakota does not allow the use of replay for end of game situations. The announcers didn't say anything after showing the replays about the shot getting off after time expired, which surprised me. But they interviewed the winning OG coach, and to his credit he said two or three times that their winning shot probably came too late. Needless to say, there likely will be a push to use replays in the future.

Re: Yankton-OG Boy's Semi-Final

that was just one of the no calls in that game, Mors of Yankton was getting mauled throughout that game, McCoy? of OG was getting away with a lot of pushing and holding on Mors. at the end of the second quarter right before half when Mors went down with an elbow to the face tv replay showed McCoy clearly using his elbow to clear Mors out. should have been a flagrant.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Did anyone see the end of the Yankton-OG boy's game last night ? Yankton was up by one and OG hit a shot that did not get off before the buzzer, but was called good by the officials. The replay showed that the ball was still in the shooter's hands when the red light came on, but South Dakota does not allow the use of replay for end of game situations. The announcers didn't say anything after showing the replays about the shot getting off after time expired, which surprised me. But they interviewed the winning OG coach, and to his credit he said two or three times that their winning shot probably came too late. Needless to say, there likely will be a push to use replays in the future.
      Can you imagine the rage that would have come out of this play had the teams been reversed? Stu would have written a 3 part op-ed about how it wouldn't have happened if all the tournaments were in Sioux Falls.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I saw a slow-mo replay today. The ref had his eyes on the shooter. The clock went to zero and the back board lit. The ball came off the shooter's hands, and then the horn sounded. Looked like the ref made the right call from what he could see. The clock and horn was not in sync.

Perhaps the Rushmore Center could use some help from a small company in Brookings?
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
          I saw a slow-mo replay today. The ref had his eyes on the shooter. The clock went to zero and the back board lit. The ball came off the shooter's hands, and then the horn sounded. Looked like the ref made the right call from what he could see. The clock and horn was not in sync.

Perhaps the Rushmore Center could use some help from a small company in Brookings?
          The light and horn won't be in sync, it is the light that matters. The more I think about this how would a ref ever be able to get a last second shot called right without replay? You have to choose if you are going to look at the ball leaving the shooters hand or look at the backboard light. Seems like it would be mighty tough to look at both simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            The light and horn won't be in sync, it is the light that matters. The more I think about this how would a ref ever be able to get a last second shot called right without replay? You have to choose if you are going to look at the ball leaving the shooters hand or look at the backboard light. Seems like it would be mighty tough to look at both simultaneously.
            They do have 2 eyes though...... gotta be part chameleon.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It is incredibly difficult, and unless you are at the perfect angle with the light in the same view as the shot, you're going to rely on the horn if it's that close of a play. If the light and horn were that far out of sync though, that's an issue. I'm aware that light travels faster than sound, but it's not that big of a building. If the shot was released in the tiny (really really really small) delay between the light going off and the horn sounding, I don't blame the ref, I blame the fact that they can't go to the monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                It is incredibly difficult, and unless you are at the perfect angle with the light in the same view as the shot, you're going to rely on the horn if it's that close of a play. If the light and horn were that far out of sync though, that's an issue. I'm aware that light travels faster than sound, but it's not that big of a building. If the shot was released in the tiny (really really really small) delay between the light going off and the horn sounding, I don't blame the ref, I blame the fact that they can't go to the monitor.
                Technology is getting us in trouble. We have too many things to look at which causes problems like this. We have a horn and a light for the same thing but only 1 really matters except without replay we are using the wrong one. If we don't use replay get rid of the light and use the horn and live with the refs decision. Problem solved.

Comment

Technology is getting us in trouble. We have too many things to look at which causes problems like this. We have a horn and a light for the same thing but only 1 really matters except without replay we are using the wrong one. If we don't use replay get rid of the light and use the horn and live with the refs decision. Problem solved.
                  I wasn't saying the light is useless though, there are plenty of situations where the light would be in the same view as the shot and you can see if the ball leaves the hand first, especially for plays at the rim or tip ins. I think it's a good addition, just another tool to use to try to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    Can you imagine the rage that would have come out of this play had the teams been reversed? Stu would have written a 3 part op-ed about how it wouldn't have happened if all the tournaments were in Sioux Falls.
                    Yes, let's put them all in Huron. That is a reward to the players achieving state!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Yes, let's put them all in Huron. That is a reward to the players achieving state!
                      TBH, I dont care where they are held. I do think the consolation games are a bit of overkill and that really it should just be the semi-finals and finals, but that's a completely different discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        Mitchell lost all state basketball tourneys because they said the Corn Palace wasnt big enough. I was at Blarneys Sports Bar in Mitchell during the class B girls tourney. A group of Warner parents came in. We chatted with them. They had to stay in Mitchell because Huron doesnt have enough motel rooms. They said The Corn Palace is big enough to host the B girls and had more motel rooms and eating places rhan Huron. But its all politics. I know your kidding about putting them all in Huron but Mitchell deserves to host a girls tourney

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          Mitchell lost all state basketball tourneys because they said the Corn Palace wasnt big enough. I was at Blarneys Sports Bar in Mitchell during the class B girls tourney. A group of Warner parents came in. We chatted with them. They had to stay in Mitchell because Huron doesnt have enough motel rooms. They said The Corn Palace is big enough to host the B girls and had more motel rooms and eating places rhan Huron. But its all politics. I know your kidding about putting them all in Huron but Mitchell deserves to host a girls tourney
                          We were talking about the idea of running the state tournament like March Madness. Maybe the "Final Four" would be in Sioux Falls/Rapid City. But then you could have regional sites for the round of 16 and 8. That could appease towns like Aberdeen/Mitchell/Huron etc. Plus, you could do it on the weekend so the kids wouldn't have to miss that much class.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            So Warner parents drove to Mitchell from Huron to stay in a hotel? Shoulda pointed the car the other direction and drove nearly the same distance and stayed at home.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              So Warner parents drove to Mitchell from Huron to stay in a hotel? Shoulda pointed the car the other direction and drove nearly the same distance and stayed at home.
                              I thought the same. Maybe they wanted to have a little vacation away from home.

Comment

Working...
                              X