No announcement yet.

A MENTALLY SOFT TEAM (DAUM) & COACH...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A MENTALLY SOFT TEAM (DAUM) & COACH...

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    This is the smartest thing you've said yet. Definite waste of time, for yourself and all of us.
    My posts were not intended to be condescending towards you. I actually had an agenda. My hope was for this season to bring some nice exposure in order to expand our recruiting base going forward. I posted only on occasion. Basketball is a great game. Diversity is good when sharing different opinions. Even though your comments are not thought provoking from a basketball perspective... I still learned valuable things from you as a SDSU fan. Simple comments have value.

On that note you guys have your forum back. Enjoy the vibrate discussion. Thanks to the moderators here for the ability to express my thoughts. It is appreciated. This will be my last post but email me if you need any financial support in the future as it relates to the MB.

See Ya & Take Care,

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I would like to point I looked around for a "Tom K" and was NOT successful. Who would of thought I'd come up empty with that search.

Seriously, this guy needs to stop pretending he's a Jackrabbits fan and deal with the fact TJ is the coach and probably will be until another school pulls him away from us.
      Did you look under "Tom Terriffic" , might be a clue there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDancingJackRabbit View Post
        email me if you need any financial support in the future as it relates to the MB.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
          I would like to point I looked around for a "Tom K" and was NOT successful. Who would of thought I'd come up empty with that search.

Seriously, this guy needs to stop pretending he's a Jackrabbits fan and deal with the fact TJ is the coach and probably will be until another school pulls him away from us.
          I do have to say that in my novice opinion, the book of TJ is still open. He did win two Summit League titles but that was mainly with Nagy's players. He was known as a recruiter but other than Jenkins Jr., I don't see any of his recruits getting very much playing time. He has only been here about three years so he still doesn't have all his players. I give him a pass on his first recruiting class because he might have gotten here late in the process. If SDSU still had Reed, would any of the players in TJ's last two recruiting classes, other than Jenkins Jr., gotten much playing time? I don't think SDSU should play 10 players but most teams in the conference can go about 7 or 8 deep and not fall off as far as SDSU. If somebody get injured, struggles or gets into foul trouble SDSU was in serious trouble.
          I'm happy TJ is SDSU's coach but (again in my opinion) I think it would be at least three more years before anybody should look at TJ to move up to a much higher level. I think SDSU will be a little underestimated at the beginning of next season but if Grille comes in and a couple of other guys step up they will be OK. At this point, I would probably put SDSU as #4 or so in the preseason poll. I hope that TJ can help the team overachieve that spot. It is really early though.

Comment

I don’t discount this opinion completely. I’ve thought all year long that they lacked a level of toughness. We needed some Griff Callahan up in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak View Post
              I don’t discount this opinion completely. I’ve thought all year long that they lacked a level of toughness. We needed some Griff Callahan up in there.
              It isn't the thought that is the issue. It is the fact that this stuff is only discussed after a loss. If someone has this thought, then bring it up throughout the season. Lurking around just makes it look like trolling and you won't be taken seriously
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak View Post
                I think the team was aggressive on the offensive end but not as aggressive on the defensive end. SDSU had to come close the the most offensive fouls that they have ever had on the offensive end. There were times when they would drive to the basket and look to get bailed out with a foul call that never came.
                I know this is aggressive instead of tough but that is what I thought I saw.

Comment

I actually think the team was very mentally tough, it was just a physically soft team with a laid back personality.

The mental toughness showed through the season based on all the huge second half comebacks during the course of year. You don't consistently come back from 20 point deficits if you are a mentally soft team, but our passive nature hurt us because it seemed we often came out flat before getting things going.

We just had no grit and no defensive toughness. Really the only player who saw significant minutes who had that mentality was Tevin King. Otherwise, we were a perimeter team on offense that relied on three point shots and getting to the foul line to score. Our "defense" was specifically geared towards keeping Daum out of foul trouble and from expending as little energy as possible to allow him to play 36 minutes a game. We had no enforcer down below. No Theisen for a hard foul, no Tellinghuisen who was willing to stand in and take a charge, no Severyn for his tenacity on the boards or on the defensive end.

A specific example of that defensive mentality was the second half of the WIU game in the tourney. We lacked energy and were trailing, yet the coaches never adjusted defenses to put pressure on the ball until the last 5 minutes of the game. Once we did, we got some turnovers and also got more aggressive on offense. You just can't play defense by packing in a zone and hoping the other team misses shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I actually think the team was very mentally tough, it was just a physically soft team with a laid back personality.

The mental toughness showed through the season based on all the huge second half comebacks during the course of year. You don't consistently come back from 20 point deficits if you are a mentally soft team, but our passive nature hurt us because it seemed we often came out flat before getting things going.

We just had no grit and no defensive toughness. Really the only player who saw significant minutes who had that mentality was Tevin King. Otherwise, we were a perimeter team on offense that relied on three point shots and getting to the foul line to score. Our "defense" was specifically geared towards keeping Daum out of foul trouble and from expending as little energy as possible to allow him to play 36 minutes a game. We had no enforcer down below. No Theisen for a hard foul, no Tellinghuisen who was willing to stand in and take a charge, no Severyn for his tenacity on the boards or on the defensive end.

A specific example of that defensive mentality was the second half of the WIU game in the tourney. We lacked energy and were trailing, yet the coaches never adjusted defenses to put pressure on the ball until the last 5 minutes of the game. Once we did, we got some turnovers and also got more aggressive on offense. You just can't play defense by packing in a zone and hoping the other team misses shots.
                    Actually that is a very good observation. Kind of like Dexter Werner was to NDSU a few years back. As good and as elite as Daum was he will never really be known for his defensive proficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                      Actually that is a very good observation. Kind of like Dexter Werner was to NDSU a few years back. As good and as elite as Daum was he will never really be known for his defensive proficiency.
                      That player may have been on the team, but we'll never know because of the short bench.

Comment

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...645268994?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                          Well that didn't take long! .... do they know he is SOFT?

Comment

Sorry I know this thread isn’t exactly the perfect place so if someone wants to start an official offseason rumors thread they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m sure a dumpster fire of a thread like this will really help sway recruits and players to stay if Otz is gone......
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                I’m sure a dumpster fire of a thread like this will really help sway recruits and players to stay if Otz is gone......
                                It would be interesting to see the amount of angst that would be expressed here if our coach had a .500 (or less) record.

Comment

Working...
                                X