2019 Big 12 Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Big 12 Championship

Tanner Sloan has me pretty excited, he should be a force.

Comment

We all knew that this year was going to be a tough one for fans. What I can say is there was definite improvement and growth with the team so with that and some of the new guys coming in, next year should be fun. It's easy to forget as a fan just how hard these guys are working everyday to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
        I never would have thought that we'd end the year with only one national qualifier. I'm glad to see this train-wreck of a season come to an end. I'm looking forward to a much better season coming up next year. With or without Seth Gross, the wounds of the coaching change will be mended, the wrestlers will be healthy again, and we can see what this group can really do.

Did you really not expect this? We graduated 2 all Americans and 2 big senior leaders (Z, kocer, rotert, Macki) last year. Add on the coaching change, transfer (brown), and the injuries (gross, Marty) and that’s a recipe for a down year. Im glad Hahn stayed the course with the redshirts as now next year will be a learning year, imo, filled with excitement!! With that said I’m thinking Carlson has a chance at being picked for 184 so our down year still has a chance to send 2 national qualifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by I hate the wombat View Post
          Did you really not expect this? We graduated 2 all Americans and 2 big senior leaders (Z, kocer, rotert, Macki) last year. Add on the coaching change, transfer (brown), and the injuries (gross, Marty) and that’s a recipe for a down year. Im glad Hahn stayed the course with the redshirts as now next year will be a learning year, imo, filled with excitement!! With that said I’m thinking Carlson has a chance at being picked for 184 so our down year still has a chance to send 2 national qualifiers.

Agree 100%. Marty never recovered from his early season injuries so I consider him a loss from last season. With the emergence of Tanner Sloan, I hope Marty and Z. Carlson go down in weight next year. Also agree on keeping our redshirts redshirted as this was a lost season (forgivable IMO). Hahn has a talented crop of recruits coming in and I'm guessing he's making some serious dents on 2020 kids in Minnesota, Iowa, & New Jersey. We'll be a top tier Big 12 team again in the very near future!

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
            Agree 100%. Marty never recovered from his early season injuries so I consider him a loss from last season. With the emergence of Tanner Sloan, I hope Marty and Z. Carlson go down in weight next year. Also agree on keeping our redshirts redshirted as this was a lost season (forgivable IMO). Hahn has a talented crop of recruits coming in and I'm guessing he's making some serious dents on 2020 kids in Minnesota, Iowa, & New Jersey. We'll be a top tier Big 12 team again in the very near future!
            I thought bono had some top classes the last few years. Where are those kids? Shouldn't they be competing now? Or did we lose more then I realize.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I thought bono had some top classes the last few years. Where are those kids? Shouldn't they be competing now? Or did we lose more then I realize.
              Some kids left, and there are some RS-Freshman still developing (Molitor, Grove, Hawkins, Smith, etc.) but I'm not sold on them as future contributors. Also Peyton Robb, who would have been the biggest recruit in school history pulled a switch-a-roo to Nebraska after Bono left. Side note he had a strong Unattached season this year while redshirting. Additionally Alex Lloyd, who was another top recruit, appears to no longer be with the program. He has been removed from Gojacks.com.

Comment

For me like any other fan its been a tough season to swallow. I like Hahn as a coach and looking at some of the incoming guys He has the ability to recruit. In addition to Sloan, who are some of the redshirt guys that may be able to contribute next year? Clay Carlson? Are there any of the true freshman that may be able to step into the lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitTy View Post
                  For me like any other fan its been a tough season to swallow. I like Hahn as a coach and looking at some of the incoming guys He has the ability to recruit. In addition to Sloan, who are some of the redshirt guys that may be able to contribute next year? Clay Carlson? Are there any of the true freshman that may be able to step into the lineup?
                  Based off records, the guys most likely to push for a starting spot would be....

Tanner Sloan 197lbs - 24-2 - Midlands Runner-Up
                  Clay Carlson 141lbs - 29-5 - Holds a W over SDSU spot starter Aric Williams & won 6 open tournaments
                  Kenny O'Neil 165lbs - 28-13 - Claimed 2 Open Tournament Titles & 2 runner-ups
                  Zack Price 141lbs - 20-8 - Lost a decision to Clay Carlson but holds a W over spot starter Aric Williams. 6 of his other 7 losses were to kids at Big 10 programs and Arizona State.
                  Russell Rucklos - 184lbs - 10-11 - Not an impressive record but does hold W over spot starter Sam Grove. Possibly a project that could be valuable down the road

Comment

Based off records, the guys most likely to push for a starting spot would be....

Tanner Sloan 197lbs - 24-2 - Midlands Runner-Up
                    Clay Carlson 141lbs - 29-5 - Holds a W over SDSU spot starter Aric Williams & won 6 open tournaments
                    Kenny O'Neil 165lbs - 28-13 - Claimed 2 Open Tournament Titles & 2 runner-ups
                    Zack Price 141lbs - 20-8 - Lost a decision to Clay Carlson but holds a W over spot starter Aric Williams. 6 of his other 7 losses were to kids at Big 10 programs and Arizona State.
                    Russell Rucklos - 184lbs - 10-11 - Not an impressive record but does hold W over spot starter Sam Grove. Possibly a project that could be valuable down the road
                    My projected lineup for next year:
                    - Danny Vega (125)
                    - Rylie Molitor / Zach Price (move down) (133)
                    - Clay Carlson (141)
                    - Henry Pohlmeyer (149)
                    - Colten Carlson (157)
                    - WIDE OPEN (165)
                    - Zach Carlson (move down) (174)
                    - Marty Mueller (move down (184)
                    - Tanner Sloan (197)
                    - Blake Wolters (285)

I had a great conversation this weekend w/ somebody that is close to the program. They are excited for next year and the future. High praise for Hahn and his staff.

Comment

That's kinda how I would like to see it shake out. They have a good HWT that will be coming from Iowa, I think he is #8 in the HWT rankings. If he is red shirted then he and Bake will be competing for the spot when Blake is a senior. They also have a good 165 /174 coming from Iowa he is ranked #11 in the country.

Things are looking up. This program is in good hands and will be fine. I can honestly say that everyone on the team progressed between last year and this year. Anxious to see what next year brings.

The only negative thing about next year will be trying to keep all the Carlsons straight!

Congrats to Henry, we still could get Zach in with an at large.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        - Danny Vega (125)
                        - Clay Carlson (141)
                        - Henry Pohlmeyer (149)
                        - Colten Carlson (157)
                        - WIDE OPEN (165)
                        - Tanner Sloan (197)
                        - Blake Wolters (285)

I had a great conversation this weekend w/ somebody that is close to the program. They are excited for next year and the future. High praise for Hahn and his staff.
                        Damn I like the look of that lineup! Throw Kenny into 165 and I see a competitive lineup! Could possible be knocking on top 25 with our senior leaders! Would love to see Marty, Henry, and z Carlson end their careers on high notes. Very excited to see what Vega, clay, and Sloan can do when unleashed. Also pumped to see what our true freshman do in their redshirt year. The future is bright!

Comment

Originally posted by I hate the wombat View Post

At the beginning of the year, no, I did not expect this at all. Brown's transfer, Morris's season-ending injury, Gross's season ending injury, Gross's impending transfer, Pohlmeyer moving up, Peterson's series of injuries, Mueller's rib, Lloyd not competing, and a whole bunch of other things that have occurred in the past year are what lead to me calling this season a "train-wreck." I have always and do continue to support the coaching staff as well as the efforts of the wrestlers on the team. They did the best that they could to cobble together some kind of season despite the fates conspiring against them. I've never seen a team switch coaches and suffer so little attrition, and the strides that people like Colton Carlson, Zach Carlson and Blake Wolters have made are a testament to the efficacy of the training methodology and team culture that Hahn and others have brought in.
                          Last edited by TheWombat; 03-11-2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

- Danny Vega (125)
                            - Clay Carlson (141)
                            - Henry Pohlmeyer (149)
                            - Colten Carlson (157)
                            - WIDE OPEN (165)
                            - Tanner Sloan (197)
                            - Blake Wolters (285)

There's a transfer by the name of Laken Cook who can be a strong contributor at 157 or 165. I was surprised that he didn't start over Carlson this year. I'd like to see him go 157 and Carlson go up to 165. Carlson is big, even at 157 and I'd love to see him go up where the competition is a touch slower and a touch less conditioned. I could see him doing very well there and I wish he'd have switched with Peterson to start the season.

Comment

- Danny Vega (125)
                              - Clay Carlson (141)
                              - Henry Pohlmeyer (149)
                              - Colten Carlson (157)
                              - WIDE OPEN (165)
                              - Tanner Sloan (197)
                              - Blake Wolters (285)

That's pretty much how I see it with a possible battle at Hwt with True Freshman Spencer Trenary & Wolters. Also curious if Cade Devos 2x State Champ out of Iowa could snag that 165lb slot. Moving Marty back to 184lb is definitely the logical move. Sloan's two loses, one of which he avenged, are to national qualifiers so he's going to win 197 in a wrestle off if it comes to that. With or without Seth, I'm still excited about next year and beyond with Hahn in the Captain's Chair

Comment

Some kids left, and there are some RS-Freshman still developing (Molitor, Grove, Hawkins, Smith, etc.) but I'm not sold on them as future contributors. Also Peyton Robb, who would have been the biggest recruit in school history pulled a switch-a-roo to Nebraska after Bono left. Side note he had a strong Unattached season this year while redshirting. Additionally Alex Lloyd, who was another top recruit, appears to no longer be with the program. He has been removed from Gojacks.com.
                                It was robb and lloyd who I thought were suppose to be big contributors coming in.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X