Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT - Jackrabbits vs. WIU Leathernecks - 2019 SLT Rd 1

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    If there was an injury to his right shoulder, it may have happened before that game. There were multiple bruises on and around his right shoulder during the last regular season game against WIU. Which looked liked they were from cupping therapy.
    Speculation was that it happened when he took that nasty fall after coming down on Gilbeck's back and getting thrown off.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Maybe it's just me, but I would take a backcourt of T.King and DJJ over Gentry and T.King seven days a week. And I have seen Gentry play a few times.
      In isolation, obviously. The question posed would be if Nagys team would be a better team than this one. I think that is up for reasonable debate. Also, just to call a spade a spade, DJJ flat out needs to get better and care more defensively. He is an all worldly shooter, but he was a liability defensively this season.

In the crowd at the women’s game I did hear a random guy say he heard Daum was having back problems. So no idea if that’s true or a shoulder, but it just seems like something had to have been physically affecting him.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post

When he left, there was no indication that Tevin would turn into the player he did. Gentry was an underrectuited 5Â’9 late addition because we missed on Tristan Simpson. Love was a football player coming off an injury (I think). The future did not look like all rainbows and sunshine at the time. Mike and Reed were the only really proven commodities. PG was bleak.

Also, IÂ’m not entirely convinced Nagy wouldÂ’ve ever gotten this yearÂ’s Skyler Flatten production. I donÂ’t get the sense Flatten responds well to yelling in his face.

Back to the larger discussion, I’d probably take Nagy’s hypothetical team over this year’s. More so because we would defend well and play with an edge. And not play an effing 6 man rotation. I think the limited rotation mostly had an effect on the team’s mentality to defend for 40 minutes a night. That and Otz’s simple lack of attention and detail to it. It bothers me an awful lot to see the tenacity and fundamentals deteriorate already since the Nagy era. By all accounts the team had a happy “culture” this year, but the Nagy “defense and rebounding” culture is long gone.
        I am a believer that most/all players get better over time. If they don't, what does that say about next year? We have DJJ and who? I think that Owen King and Arians will be solid players.

Tevin King played about 3 less minutes/game compared to Owen King their freshmen seasons. Tevin played behind Marshall, Parks, Bittle and Moffitt (4 seniors as is turned out) for 3 spots. Owen played behind about everybody except Daum so he backed up more players and still didn't get much more playing time. I think a lot of people have high hopes for Owen.

I want everybody to know that I didn't really care if Nagy left or not. The game that SDSU is playing now is more fun to watch but so far I have not seen any results that I don't think Nagy could have produced (win and loss wise). TJ is paid probably $150,000+ more than Nagy so it would be nice to get a better result for that investment. I know that Nagy was a DII coach and you can't hire a DI coach at that salary but it is what it is. I do think that TJ is building for 2, 3 or 4 years down the road. It would be nice if he could come in and have immediate results but most times it takes time to shift from s disciplined, defensive, hard nosed team to a high scoring, free flowing, laid back team.
        I really hope I am wrong about next year.

Comment

I still think even if we had to take another loss or two it would have been worth getting some more experience with the redshirt freshman getting more playing time this year. Also feel we were another big man in the rotation short.

Comment

While I agree that TJ has a broader network of connections for recruiting, I still think people don't give Nagy enough credit for what he built. IMO Nagy is a far superior Player Developer & Tactician. And while he is more expressive on the sidelines, players love the guy and the loyalty is astounding. It concerns me that TJ has had a handful of guys transfer or quit on him. Also even if Daum was hurt and sat, we still should have kicked the snot out of WIU based off of talent, but TJ doesn't teach defense and his RS-Fresh Recruits haven't developed enough to provide at least 10 minutes each in reserve. Had they at least been dependable, we escape that game and most likely return to the dance. After watching NDSU vs. Omaha, I would say NDSU going to be the favorites next year.

**Side Note on Skyler, he was always a special talent but was literally injured the entire time he played for Coach Nagy

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
              While I agree that TJ has a broader network of connections for recruiting, I still think people don't give Nagy enough credit for what he built. IMO Nagy is a far superior Player Developer & Tactician. And while he is more expressive on the sidelines, players love the guy and the loyalty is astounding. It concerns me that TJ has had a handful of guys transfer or quit on him. Also even if Daum was hurt and sat, we still should have kicked the snot out of WIU based off of talent, but TJ doesn't teach defense and his RS-Fresh Recruits haven't developed enough to provide at least 10 minutes each in reserve. Had they at least been dependable, we escape that game and most likely return to the dance. After watching NDSU vs. Omaha, I would say NDSU going to be the favorites next year.

**Side Note on Skyler, he was always a special talent but was literally injured the entire time he played for Coach Nagy
              I heard an interview with Nagy one time talking about his development as a coach. He said that in DII he wasn't necessarily a great coach as he could just out-recruit his opponents and have better players. It obviously worked. When we moved to DI he could no longer to that so he had to evolve as a coach.

As far as TJ is concerned I have seen enough over the last 3 years it's pretty obvious his offensive coaching ability is superior to his defensive coaching ability. At the presser after the WIU game he was fairly defiant about why they lost. In the moment I can't blame him. Really doesn't do much good micro-analyzing the game at that point. I do hope he can develop his coaching skills and we can be more consistent defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I heard an interview with Nagy one time talking about his development as a coach. He said that in DII he wasn't necessarily a great coach as he could just out-recruit his opponents and have better players. It obviously worked. When we moved to DI he could no longer to that so he had to evolve as a coach.

As far as TJ is concerned I have seen enough over the last 3 years it's pretty obvious his offensive coaching ability is superior to his defensive coaching ability. At the presser after the WIU game he was fairly defiant about why they lost. In the moment I can't blame him. Really doesn't do much good micro-analyzing the game at that point. I do hope he can develop his coaching skills and we can be more consistent defensively.
                I thought Nagy was a very good coach and was sorry to see him leave, but to be comparing him as a veteran, 20 year head coach to a third year head coach doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not too many young coaches would win that comparison.

Comment

I thought Nagy was a very good coach and was sorry to see him leave, but to be comparing him as a veteran, 20 year head coach to a third year head coach doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not too many young coaches would win that comparison.
                  I think this has a lot to do with it. And I think we've seen TJ get better as a coach since he's been here. I look forward to see his development as a coach and trust he is listening to his assistants on what they all need to get better at. Defense is certainly one of them and there is no doubt they understand that.

Comment

I'm not comparing Nagy and TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      I'm not comparing Nagy and TJ.
                      Sorry - I just quoted the last post, and should have linked to one of the many other posts that have been comparing the two.

Comment

Nagy was a defense first coach tj is offense first. Neither is right or wrong just different philosophy.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sorry - I just quoted the last post, and should have linked to one of the many other posts that have been comparing the two.
                          Got ya. FWIW I agree it's silly to compare the two.

I also agree with BtownJack. TJ has grown quite a bit as a coach just since he's gotten here. There is no reason to believe he won't continue to improve.

Comment

Working...
                          X