Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT - Jackrabbits vs. WIU Leathernecks - 2019 SLT Rd 1

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    So all the posters that just assumed we’d win the SLT....

It’s hard to do. We’ve been spoiled.
    I didn't necessarily assume they would win the SLT. I figured there would be a close game or two and we might even lose. Not this way though. Not to a 20 loss, 334th ranked RPI out of 353 team.

Comment

For those bashing the crowd they wanted to get into the game but we couldn’t sustain any success whatsoever. Every time they got into it they scored or we turned the ball over.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I didn't necessarily assume they would win the SLT. I figured there would be a close game or two and we might even lose. Not this way though. Not to a 20 loss, 334th ranked RPI out of 353 team.
        I’m not gonna go find it but there was a post that said we didn’t need the #1 seed because we would win the SLT anyway. I really think we’ve been spoiled as a fan base and many just assumed we’d win.

I do agree I didn’t see us losing this game but they were 10 times tougher than us tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
          I haven't read anything to this point.

1. Fans were poor. No noise. No energy,
          2. Tevin played well by State should never have a game where he shoots more than Daum. Never.
          3. TJ probably one of his worst games. Nothing worked for 35 minutes and nothing changed.
          4. Struggling in the fits half and couldn't figure out a way to get Daum a shot.

As you can see really frustrating way to watch Mike's SDSU career end. I just don't understand.....

Go Rabbits!
          I would say that has been the biggest thing with TJ that drives me nuts. His lack of judgment when it comes to making adjustments. He seems stubborn to his original gameplan. Reminds me of the first season when he stayed exclusively in zone for ten games and got torched and then he finally after questioning from media and fans switched to man and we gained some momentum. TJ has always been a proponent of offense. Just not sure why the greatest jack ever just didn’t have a lot of touches tonight.

Comment

Daum seemed the best and to affect gilbeck it seems you need to attack him. We just had daum doing ball screens and didnt take much outside shots. I wonder if he is totally healthy. His shot looked off and he tenacity on rebounds didnt seem to clear the board as much as he normally does. Wiu had so many offensive rebounds it gave them several second chance points we didnt crash the boards. Wiu played like they didnt have anything to lose and we played tight like we did have something to lose.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Tonight is a great example of why you can't rely on offense to win games. We had a top five offense, yet couldn't stop one of the worst teams in the country when it mattered. DJJ scored 29, yet had some horrific defensive lapses late in the game. Outside of Tevin King, this team has lacked a killer instinct all season. As much as I'm concerned about losing Daum and Flatten on offense, I'm more concerned about losing our bulldog in King. Who's going to step up next year to give us some toughness?

Comment

Hard to be critical of tj since his track record is pretty good. We were the 1 seed so he game plans worked well. Remember nagy had some head scratchers fans would criticize. Stig and eidness got flack in losses for lack of in game adjustments or game plans also. With that said thought bsports is often a game of adjustments. We didnt adjust our game plan to take on wiu. Yet wiu did make adjustment and hit some tough shots. Felt like they wanted to run iso and attack one on one. Frankly hit some tough shots but we left some open shooters in the first half which we were probably playing the strategy they aren't a good shooting team....well tonight they were. The sad part was once my 7 year old realized the Jack's lost and wont be in the tournament anymore. Didnt cry but seemed emotional. He was quick to realize the women are still in it and we will watch them more.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Hard to put words together for this.

Was there tonight, and everything was bad from the get go. We came out flat in the first half as we have the whole last month of play. Only problem is we didn't wake up in the second half this time. As many have mentioned, something was just off with Mike. Like no engagement at all. It was really strange and not something that I expected.

Skyler might as well have stayed in Brookings. He was a complete no-show and really made no attempt to make an impact on the game. LIKE DUDE WAKE UP

DJJ got his points but wasn't impressive. Dumb defensively, iso basketball on offense, carless TO's. His shot-making ability may legitimately be the most impressive of anyone I've ever witnessed, but there's sooo much to clean up defensively. And I'm quite worried about the offense next year with him being the only alpha.

Krueger should've gotten minutes all season. It's really just inexcusable. Like honestly wtf Otz? You play a 6 man rotation for the past 3 months and then bring Ryan Krueger in to play like 12 minutes in the SLT? He played fine/good minutes tonight, which makes Otz' BS rotation even more mind-numbingly frustrating. I don't know what else to call it other than stupid coaching.

I feel like I've dogged on Otz all year, and I really haven't tried to be super negative. But tonight is what we had coming. Someone said it earlier that we've been playing with fire, and this is what we get. I admittedly came into this season with too high of expectations, but we had two bonafide superstars. Legit all-conf caliber players in any league. I had dreams of being a Wichita State or Loyola-Chicago and making a nation-grasping run. But that takes a certain grittiness and attitude that we simply don't have. So I tempered myself into hoping we could get that one win in the NCAA Tournament. That one elusive win. But then the last month unfolded and I realized we don't have the tenacity defensively or the discipline to probably knock a big team, and I again adjusted my hopes into hoping we could just make the tournament in Daum and Tevin's last year. They deserved that.

Time slowly grinded away tonight in that second half and the panic starting setting in a little more and more as we couldn't cut into the lead. Sooo many times we've had our backs against the wall in the SLT and found a way out. But that buzzer sounded tonight and I stood there in shock. The #8 -- the #338 RPI team in the nation -- knocked off the #1 -- maybe the most hyped #1 seed in conference history.

The last time we lost in the tournament was in the championship against NDSU in 2015. Afterwards Nagy gave one of the most heartfelt speeches I've ever heard. But anyways, that last loss is a long time ago. What a run it was with Mike Daum and Co. It was an absolute treat watching him play in Sioux Falls these past four years.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    I’m not gonna go find it but there was a post that said we didn’t need the #1 seed because we would win the SLT anyway. I really think we’ve been spoiled as a fan base and many just assumed we’d win.

I do agree I didn’t see us losing this game but they were 10 times tougher than us tonight.
                    I was one that said it. Maybe I had a point...if we were the 2 seed we would have avoided WIU. /s....i think

The players didn't execute. The nest gameplan in the world doesn't matter when the players don't execute. Missing open shots and free throws is what cost us the game.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Disclaimer: alcohol has contributed to this post: I can't say I'm completely surprised by this result. Consider that my favorite ref call in basketball, and maybe in all of sports, is the 30-second call. I really, really like good defense.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good 12-0 run as much as the next guy, but, as I've posted before: live by the 3, die by the 3. And extend that to live by the free throw, etc. etc..

WIU got a sniff of what they could do against SDSU last week. They knew that they could play toe-to-toe with the Jacks.

SDSU had to take it to WIU from the opening tip. When that didn't happen it was a dogfight and honestly, the Jacks played tight.

My expectations for the NIT is one and done. I would be delighted if they prove me wrong but I can't expect it given how they failed to perform here.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Disclaimer: alcohol has contributed to this post: I can't say I'm completely surprised by this result. Consider that my favorite ref call in basketball, and maybe in all of sports, is the 30-second call. I really, really like good defense.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good 12-0 run as much as the next guy, but, as I've posted before: live by the 3, die by the 3. And extend that to live by the free throw, etc. etc..

WIU got a sniff of what they could do against SDSU last week. They knew that they could play toe-to-toe with the Jacks.

SDSU had to take it to WIU from the opening tip. When that didn't happen it was a dogfight and honestly, the Jacks played tight.

My expectations for the NIT is one and done. I would be delighted if they prove me wrong but I can't expect it given how they failed to perform here.
                        I fear our only chance in the nit is to get lucky to get seeded with a team more deflated then us. Then we have an outside chance fo win the game.

Comment

I don't have a lot of concerns with Otz. The guy is 70-32 and has brought us DJ and, next year, Caleb Grill. I think this team was worn down because the starters played too many minutes. 2/3 of the way into the season, they were the top defensive team in the Summit. Things went pretty much downhill after that. I would have liked to see more minutes for Krueger and Dentlinger especially.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Daum seemed the best and to affect gilbeck it seems you need to attack him. We just had daum doing ball screens and didnt take much outside shots. I wonder if he is totally healthy. His shot looked off and he tenacity on rebounds didnt seem to clear the board as much as he normally does. Wiu had so many offensive rebounds it gave them several second chance points we didnt crash the boards. Wiu played like they didnt have anything to lose and we played tight like we did have something to lose.

This...I didn't think about this until you mentioned it Goon. The tumble he took last week off Gilbeck was rough. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some residual things lingering still.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              This...I didn't think about this until you mentioned it Goon. The tumble he took last week off Gilbeck was rough. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some residual things lingering still.
                              He took a number of hard hits in the last few games that when combined with high minutes may have had a cumulative affect. He certainly didn't look like his normal self.

Comment

Lots of good points and I think most here aren't particularly surprised about last night.

I wondered if fatigue was starting to set in a few weeks back. Otz was asked about it in a press conference and of course he downplayed it. In reality though, it takes a toll. They've been practicing for what 6 months? Couple that with the fact that defensively, we just aren't the greatest and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we were flirting with danger.

Comment

Working...
                                X