Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT - Jackrabbits vs. WIU Leathernecks - 2019 SLT Rd 1

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Disagree, he left the cupboard very full...Telly, Theissen, Severyn, Daum, TK, Skyler, and Cole. Gentry left midseason cause he wasn't in TJ's future plans. Also what makes you think Daum leaves under Nagy's watch? Nagy & Klink recruited & developed him from a Chubby 3pt shooter to an offensive weapon, TJ reaped the benefits of that.
    I shouldn't say the odds as much lower, but I think Daum has made it clear that Otz is his favorite coach he's had and was a giant reason for him staying. It's hard to say if he would've with Nagy, but I don't think it would've been quite as much of a no-brainer for him.

At the time of his departure, though, Nagy was losing that loaded senior class of George, Parks, and Bittle and had far from a highly touted recruiting class coming in. But to your point, Keaton Moffitt was fully expected to get another year and already had a plan with Nagy to work through pharmacy school and practice. The NCAA instead made the asshat decision to deny him the final year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
      I shouldn't say the odds as much lower, but I think Daum has made it clear that Otz is his favorite coach he's had and was a giant reason for him staying. It's hard to say if he would've with Nagy, but I don't think it would've been quite as much of a no-brainer for him.

At the time of his departure, though, Nagy was losing that loaded senior class of George, Parks, and Bittle and had far from a highly touted recruiting class coming in. But to your point, Keaton Moffitt was fully expected to get another year and already had a plan with Nagy to work through pharmacy school and practice. The NCAA instead made the asshat decision to deny him the final year of eligibility.
      Mike knows how to say the right things with a mic in his face. He's simply said he's loved playing for TJ and would most likely say the same thing about Nagy. With the exception of DJJ, TJ's success have come from all Nagy's Players. At WSU Cole & Love are two of his MVP's, the other is Bill Wampler who he recruited. Nagy is not as charismatic as TJ so people really underestimate his recruiting and player development abilities.

With next year looking like a rebuild with a young inexperienced team, we'll really see what TJ can do as I don't see him getting a job offer after the WIU collapse.

Comment

I've watched Wright State on TV a couple of times and agree that Love and Gentry probably would have been great Jackrabbits. Noah Freidel, the kid from Tea who will be going to Wright State to play for Nagy, probably will be very good, too. But I wouldn't consider next year a complete rebuild for the Jacks. The incoming recruits look good. In two years, the Jacks could be better than ever.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I've watched Wright State on TV a couple of times and agree that Love and Gentry probably would have been great Jackrabbits. Noah Freidel, the kid from Tea who will be going to Wright State to play for Nagy, probably will be very good, too. But I wouldn't consider next year a complete rebuild for the Jacks. The incoming recruits look good. In two years, the Jacks could be better than ever.
          Next year will be interesting to say the least. We have some good looking incoming recruits.

The part that I don't understand is TJ is on record at the Sioux Empire Staters saying the current crop of freshman are good. If that's the case how in the world can 3 out of 4 of the RS freshman pretty much never see the floor this year? I firmly believe fatigue was a factor in our performance down the stretch. TJ rode Daum, Flatten, TK, and DJ hard all year.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Next year will be interesting to say the least. We have some good looking incoming recruits.

The part that I don't understand is TJ is on record at the Sioux Empire Staters saying the current crop of freshman are good. If that's the case how in the world can 3 out of 4 of the RS freshman pretty much never see the floor this year? I firmly believe fatigue was a factor in our performance down the stretch. TJ rode Daum, Flatten, TK, and DJ hard all year.
            Couldn't agree more and this comment is why I consider next year a rebuild. There is no guarantee that our incoming recruits are immediate impact players. Jacks lost the WIU game because the 4 Key Guys had nothing left in the tank b/c TJ never developed his bench of heralded recruits to be guys you could plug in when the big 4 needed breathers.

I already had concerns with TJ's X's & O's ability, but the season has built concerns of Player Development for season's to come

Comment

During pressor of senior year with TJ right next to him “coach Nagy is my favorite coach”

makes a lot of sense lol

when you leave the best mid major player in the country the cupboard is not bare. If the cupboard is bare why 3 years later you have 3 very impactful seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                During pressor of senior year with TJ right next to him “coach Nagy is my favorite coach”

makes a lot of sense lol

when you leave the best mid major player in the country the cupboard is not bare. If the cupboard is bare why 3 years later you have 3 very impactful seniors.
                Yeah, yeah. Obviously he’s not going to literally say that next to Otz. Thank you. I never said he wouldn’t stay with Nagy. My point being, I think he was more buddy buddy with Otz. Nagy was the hard ass coach and it was more visually clear that he’s closer with Otz. Not to say he wouldn’t have stayed with Nagy!

When he left, there was no indication that Tevin would turn into the player he did. Gentry was an underrectuited 5’9 late addition because we missed on Tristan Simpson. Love was a football player coming off an injury (I think). The future did not look like all rainbows and sunshine at the time. Mike and Reed were the only really proven commodities. PG was bleak.

Also, I’m not entirely convinced Nagy would’ve ever gotten this year’s Skyler Flatten production. I don’t get the sense Flatten responds well to yelling in his face.

Back to the larger discussion, I’d probably take Nagy’s hypothetical team over this year’s. More so because we would defend well and play with an edge. And not play an effing 6 man rotation. I think the limited rotation mostly had an effect on the team’s mentality to defend for 40 minutes a night. That and Otz’s simple lack of attention and detail to it. It bothers me an awful lot to see the tenacity and fundamentals deteriorate already since the Nagy era. By all accounts the team had a happy “culture” this year, but the Nagy “defense and rebounding” culture is long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post

makes a lot of sense lol

Not sure but apparently TJ had nothing to do with the “player development” of Skyler, King and Daum over a 3 yr period.

Comment

Yeah, yeah. Obviously he’s not going to literally say that next to Otz. Thank you. I never said he wouldn’t stay with Nagy. My point being, I think he was more buddy buddy with Otz. Nagy was the hard ass coach and it was more visually clear that he’s closer with Otz. Not to say he wouldn’t have stayed with Nagy!

When he left, there was no indication that Tevin would turn into the player he did. Gentry was an underrectuited 5’9 late addition because we missed on Tristan Simpson. Love was a football player coming off an injury (I think). The future did not look like all rainbows and sunshine at the time. Mike and Reed were the only really proven commodities. PG was bleak.

Also, I’m not entirely convinced Nagy would’ve ever gotten this year’s Skyler Flatten production. I don’t get the sense Flatten responds well to yelling in his face.

Back to the larger discussion, I’d probably take Nagy’s hypothetical team over this year’s. More so because we would defend well and play with an edge. And not play an effing 6 man rotation. I think the limited rotation mostly had an effect on the team’s mentality to defend for 40 minutes a night. That and Otz’s simple lack of attention and detail to it. It bothers me an awful lot to see the tenacity and fundamentals deteriorate already since the Nagy era. By all accounts the team had a happy “culture” this year, but the Nagy “defense and rebounding” culture is long gone.
                    Maybe it's just me, but I would take a backcourt of T.King and DJJ over Gentry and T.King seven days a week. And I have seen Gentry play a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Maybe it's just me, but I would take a backcourt of T.King and DJJ over Gentry and T.King seven days a week. And I have seen Gentry play a few times.
                      I strongly agree with this.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

I am going to be bold and state that Coach Nagy help us out by moving on. Our program can only get better with out him. I liked Coach Nagy very much, its just that he had done as much as he could with his recruiting networks and friends. It was time for a new coach to come in and build on what has been accomplished to date.

I was only 13 at the time, but I watched last season,1953-54, of Head coach Rueben "Jack" Frost. Coach Frost was much like coach Otz, pretty much laid back guy. His big gun was Lyle Bud Belk, the Henry High School standout. Bud was a real gunner, in fact I wondered to this day why he shot so much and often his shots did not go in. It was a less than 50% win season.

I think Coach Frost would be totally amazed with our program this year. Why the six man rotation? I suspect that Otz, being at every practice, noticed the red shirt freshman would not be able to contribute in a meaningful way. This is my guess. It seemed in the last five or six games, the other team was very prepared to beat us, and you can expect that towards the end of every season. It will be interesting to see how NDSU fairs next year with out losing a single senior and how our red shirt freshman fill the gaps. I think people are wrong in predicting the end of Otz's career based on one loss to WIU. I dread the NCAA tournament since there are so many institutions looking for new coaches.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I guess I would look at it more as would you take Gentry and Love or DJJ and Arians. Of course, Gentry and Love are not the scoring threat that DJJ is but you would have Love to play C to defend posts. DJJ is mostly offense and Arians (he may shoot more next year and I think he can but he didn't this year) is mostly defense but Gentry and Love can do a little bit both. The outside shooting would be down but post play would be up.

Western Illinois allowed 76 points in both of their Summit League Tourney games. The difference is SDSU allowed 79 points while NDSU allowed 73. SDSU just needed a little more defense to pull it out.

Comment

king did play over 15 minutes per a game his freshman year with a very guard heavy team. So to me all indications were he would be a major contributor by the time he was a jr/sr if not sophomore.

Comment

Getting back to the topic of the WIU game, I had three separate conversations at the game Tuesday afternoon that said that Daum played with a right shoulder injury suffered in the final regular season game with WIU that greatly limited his effectiveness on Saturday. I have no way to verify this, but it would explain the drastic change in game plans from what worked very well in the final regular season game. Both Otz and Mike basically admitted that Daum was used as a decoy, which made no sense with a 3000 point scorer. Unless he wasn't physically able to play his normal game.

Comment

Getting back to the topic of the WIU game, I had three separate conversations at the game Tuesday afternoon that said that Daum played with a right shoulder injury suffered in the final regular season game with WIU that greatly limited his effectiveness on Saturday. I have no way to verify this, but it would explain the drastic change in game plans from what worked very well in the final regular season game. Both Otz and Mike basically admitted that Daum was used as a decoy, which made no sense with a 3000 point scorer. Unless he wasn't physically able to play his normal game.
                                If there was an injury to his right shoulder, it may have happened before that game. There were multiple bruises on and around his right shoulder during the last regular season game against WIU. Which looked liked they were from cupping therapy.

Comment

Working...
                                X