Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT - Jackrabbits vs. WIU Leathernecks - 2019 SLT Rd 1

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Lots of good points and I think most here aren't particularly surprised about last night.

I wondered if fatigue was starting to set in a few weeks back. Otz was asked about it in a press conference and of course he downplayed it. In reality though, it takes a toll. They've been practicing for what 6 months? Couple that with the fact that defensively, we just aren't the greatest and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we were flirting with danger.
    Put me in the not surprised group. Winning against even the basement team three times in a row is a tall task, plus not having much of a bench really hurt us in the end. Our starters often played entire game which has to be fatiguing. I hardly knew Kruger was on the roster, but he did some good things last night and agree he should have gotten more playing time. My mind goes back too USD team of 1958 who won the National College Division championship. All season Coach Cloddy Clodfelter played 5 seniors who played great together and won a lot of games. The 1958-59 season he had a whole new team that was no where like the previous season. The game has changed a great deal since then, I suspect Otz is now regretting not playing a deeper bench. I dont know. I guess that's why we pay the big bucks to coaches. I suspect Otz will hear about the lack of a playing bench. Maybe none of the bench guys were ready to play, otherwise they would have played. I am just not one to second guess coaching decisions.

Comment

https://twitter.com/grandon_bilbeck/...79400861974529

Really great tweet to wake up to. We deserved this. And we should've expected more from our seniors. And former players.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
        https://twitter.com/grandon_bilbeck/...79400861974529

Really great tweet to wake up to. We deserved this. And we should've expected more from our seniors. And former players.
        Your not wrong. But this guy's a total thug on the court. He should have had 4 fouls in the first 10min. He needs to STFU.
        He knew there was no way they were going to give him his 5th last night and played accordingly. If you missed the elbows he was giving down the court I'm sorry but it did happen. Also it wasn't why we lost.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Your not wrong. But this guy's a total thug on the court. He should have had 4 fouls in the first 10min. He needs to STFU.
          He knew there was no way they were going to give him his 5th last night and played accordingly. If you missed the elbows he was giving down the court I'm sorry but it did happen. Also it wasn't why we lost.
          We lost this game due to too many turnovers, poor FT and 3PT shooting, and getting out physicaled (making up words now). With that said, the officiating favored western and how they play. They were allowed to be as physical as they wanted while we got called for a ton of questionable, ticky-tac calls. Check the tape. Early in the second half, Gilbeck elbowed Arians in the head and knocked him to the floor. TJ begged for them to take a look, and they just ignored him.

With all all of that, we still had a chance in the end. We just couldn’t overcome our own mistakes and some questionable calls down the stretch.

Frankly, I’m not sure I should watch tomorrow night. I have a feeling they are going to call western for many of the fouls they got away with last night. It’s gonna piss me off if that happens.

Comment

I don't think he's a good guy. I don't think he's a great player either. But we gave him a narrative, showed up with zero energy, and gave him everything he wanted. So congrats to us for putting the icing on the cake of Brandon Gilbeck's career and providing him this satisfaction. If you're going to give a thug some bulletin board material, then you might want to show up and not lose to the 338th best team in the nation.

Comment

Tough loss. Good season. The Jacks need to get deeper. The Jacks have a rich history of players (including Daum) who could come off the bench and contribute significantly. Bench strength was lacking in this year's team. If one of the four main guys was dinged up, not feeling well or just having a bad night, the team really suffered.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Makes me wonder why we didnt try to get into his head. Put dentlinger and Dillon on him and play super physical. A guy like gilbeck can't avoid it but we didnt take it to him with our bigs. He had a few elbows he didnt get called for clearing space which he normally gets called on.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Makes me wonder why we didnt try to get into his head. Put dentlinger and Dillon on him and play super physical. A guy like gilbeck can't avoid it but we didnt take it to him with our bigs. He had a few elbows he didnt get called for clearing space which he normally gets called on.
                  Why Lou who played well in Brookings didn't see the floor while Mike was out there sleeping is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why Lou who played well in Brookings didn't see the floor while Mike was out there sleeping is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    Dillon has the size and physical ability to give gilbeck a lot of frustration.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

A day later and still in shock over last nights game. Losing to one of the worst teams in the country in front of a home crowd is like UMBC vs. Virginia last year. The urgency they played with the last 3 minutes was nice, but where was that energy the first 37 minutes? Also I’m not sure why Dillon didn’t get more time as he did LAST WEEK against WIU. I think TJ got in his own head a bit and over thunk the game plan by moving Daum into a more passive role. Just unbelievable.

Comment

This one hurts.. I'm just thinking back over the years of how this tournament gives and how it takes away.

Imagine a world where..
                        Deondre makes that last second shot in 2015 to beat NDSU
                        Rosga makes the front end of the one and one in 2016
                        Orris misses the jumper or Hollins hits the shot at the buzzer in 2017.

Basketball can be a fickle sport, especially when it comes down to one and done games. It didn't happen this year, it probably should have with this team, but it didn't and it sucks.

Comment

Couple thoughts from last night...
                          Zim tweeted out about how he thinks the pressure of winning this event every year in Sioux Falls in front of the fan base finally got them. I would agree, put in the fact that it's Daum's senior year full of expectations I believe it finally crumbled them

More over, we have a phenomenal starting 5 but you can't push them 35-40mpg every time out. Either not developing or trusting your bench was a major factor in this loss. The guys played their butts off but just looked gassed. Add in that Daum & Skyler had off nights and we had no one to step in for that or spell them quality minutes when needed hurt badly. They had a bad half, looked physically and mentally gassed and still fought back to almost escape with victory. I can't put this one on the players. I think this one rests solely on TJ's shoulders for not developing a bench when guys have off nights.

Lastly, I'm going to miss this senior class for more than the obvious reasons. Skyler's journey of potential crushed by injuries but then to be an All-Conference player his final year is Movie type stuff. Tevin's toughness and unselfishness to do all the dirty work that lead to victories will make him one of my favorite Jacks of all time. And then to see a chubby tall kid from Nebraska who could only shoot 3's transform himself into an All-American is nothing short of amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                            Couple thoughts from last night...
                            Zim tweeted out about how he thinks the pressure of winning this event every year in Sioux Falls in front of the fan base finally got them. I would agree, put in the fact that it's Daum's senior year full of expectations I believe it finally crumbled them

More over, we have a phenomenal starting 5 but you can't push them 35-40mpg every time out. Either not developing or trusting your bench was a major factor in this loss. The guys played their butts off but just looked gassed. Add in that Daum & Skyler had off nights and we had no one to step in for that or spell them quality minutes when needed hurt badly. They had a bad half, looked physically and mentally gassed and still fought back to almost escape with victory. I can't put this one on the players. I think this one rests solely on TJ's shoulders for not developing a bench when guys have off nights.

Lastly, I'm going to miss this senior class for more than the obvious reasons. Skyler's journey of potential crushed by injuries but then to be an All-Conference player his final year is Movie type stuff. Tevin's toughness and unselfishness to do all the dirty work that lead to victories will make him one of my favorite Jacks of all time. And then to see a chubby tall kid from Nebraska who could only shoot 3's transform himself into an All-American is nothing short of amazing.

Good points on the under developed/under utilized bench. It would be one thing if we were fighting for an at large bid, but that wasn't going to happen after our OOC results. There were ample opportunities to get Dentlinger, Dillion, and Krueger some minutes and try to develop them into a role player or two that could give you solid minutes off the bench in big games. If playing inexperienced players to develop them ended up in an extra conference loss or two, to me it would have been completely worth it when it came to the SLT.

Comment

Totally agree. I had four guys infront of me drinking and having a great time for the first 36 minutes. Then they looked up at the scoreboard and it was like "oh s*it. We're losing." I get it. It's fun and social to hang out with friends or old classmates. Be in the game. The team needed energy at multiple times last night and nothing. I tried to stand up a couple of times in the first half and second half and nothing. It almost felt like. Sit down please. I can't see the game......

The enery at the Denny was poor at best.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                                Totally agree. I had four guys infront of me drinking and having a great time for the first 36 minutes. Then they looked up at the scoreboard and it was like "oh s*it. We're losing." I get it. It's fun and social to hang out with friends or old classmates. Be in the game. The team needed energy at multiple times last night and nothing. I tried to stand up a couple of times in the first half and second half and nothing. It almost felt like. Sit down please. I can't see the game......

The enery at the Denny was poor at best.

Go Rabbits!
                                We were 17 point favorites- the team shouldn’t have needed our energy. It’s just a sad way to end the daum era.

Comment

Working...
                                X