Conference Improvement Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Improvement Plan

There was an article posted on the MidMajorMadness.com site about what the WCC is doing to improve their standing in the overall basketball picture. Tweaking the conference tournaments, changing conference schedules, improving non-con games, etc.

It is an interesting read and I think that there are parts that would greatly benefit the Summit.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019...cement-gonzaga
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: Conference Improvement Plan

Kind of disappointed the SLT doesn't have the "family event" type atmosphere it had in the recent past, they're dropping the ball a little bit, stopping just short of saying they're regressing. They were kind of short sighted by not locking up the facilities needed to carry on the tradition of sponsoring these fun things for fans and their families to do during the tournament and which made the SLT an event not just your average run of the mill tournament every one else puts on. I thought they were being progressive and determined to make the SLT one of, if not the best Conference basketball Tournament in the Nation. Hope next year they can revive the festive atmosphere we've enjoyed in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Kind of disappointed the SLT doesn't have the "family event" type atmosphere it had in the recent past, they're dropping the ball a little bit, stopping just short of saying they're regressing. They were kind of short sighted by not locking up the facilities needed to carry on the tradition of sponsoring these fun things for fans and their families to do during the tournament and which made the SLT an event not just your average run of the mill tournament every one else puts on. I thought they were being progressive and determined to make the SLT one of, if not the best Conference basketball Tournament in the Nation. Hope next year they can revive the festive atmosphere we've enjoyed in the past.
      Man your telling me it's a failure on the conference for not locking up more space. They should book the cc for alumni gathering for all schools and the arena should be the fan fest. Really make it summit league only. People need to boycott the boat shows or what ever they have. As much as people would enjoy and something between sessions its hurting the tournament. League officials need to do better.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Man your telling me it's a failure on the conference for not locking up more space. They should book the cc for alumni gathering for all schools and the arena should be the fan fest. Really make it summit league only. People need to boycott the boat shows or what ever they have. As much as people would enjoy and something between sessions its hurting the tournament. League officials need to do better.
        Are we as fans prepared to pay a premium for these events? Because if you are going to tell one business to give up a revenue source, there better be another one to replace it.

Comment

Media coverage not as good as past year's either, is it getting "old hat" or what??

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            Are we as fans prepared to pay a premium for these events? Because if you are going to tell one business to give up a revenue source, there better be another one to replace it.
            This is one reason why I hate the location for the denny. I know people who haven't gone to the home shows and boat show this year to avoid the basketball crowd. They can do the boat show another weekend Nd still Hve great crowds. Summit league can't have alumni gatherings and fan fests other times. If alumni groups are able to rent out the cc center room I would OJ imagine that would go over well. Also just the food and alcohol sales would be a lot for the cc these are the things that will grow the fans at the tourney. When you have a place to be when your team isnt playing and something for families. This year there is nothing. Maybe it is time to move the tourney to a bigger city or location.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              This is one reason why I hate the location for the denny. I know people who haven't gone to the home shows and boat show this year to avoid the basketball crowd. They can do the boat show another weekend Nd still Hve great crowds. Summit league can't have alumni gatherings and fan fests other times. If alumni groups are able to rent out the cc center room I would OJ imagine that would go over well. Also just the food and alcohol sales would be a lot for the cc these are the things that will grow the fans at the tourney. When you have a place to be when your team isnt playing and something for families. This year there is nothing. Maybe it is time to move the tourney to a bigger city or location.
              I don't think that it is a size issue, it is financial. Obviously, the CC has deemed that they will generate more revenue with the outdoor show than they would be renting out to the schools. Maybe it is the SFSA and the Summit lowballing them because it is such a "great event" to be a part of and they should jump at the opportunity or maybe it is because the CC is charging too much.

Let's be honest, what we are really talking about is a place for SDSU/USD/NDSU fans to hang out. The other teams in the tournament don't have enough fans in attendance to really count them in this discussion

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                Media coverage not as good as past year's either, is it getting "old hat" or what??
                It has much more to do with the fact that the Argus has about half the staff they used to use to cover it.

Midco needs to step up and realize that they are basically the Summit/MVFC station. I get that they want to cover more local schools, but their bread is buttered by the big boys (SDSU, USD, NDSU). All you have to do is look to the fact that they didn't televise the final games of the 2 best collegiate basketball players in state history on EITHER channel.

The conspiracy part of me thinks that the Sioux Falls media outlets' coverage is lacking because they are tired of not having a Sioux Falls school represented.

Comment

I don't think that it is a size issue, it is financial. Obviously, the CC has deemed that they will generate more revenue with the outdoor show than they would be renting out to the schools. Maybe it is the SFSA and the Summit lowballing them because it is such a "great event" to be a part of and they should jump at the opportunity or maybe it is because the CC is charging too much.

Let's be honest, what we are really talking about is a place for SDSU/USD/NDSU fans to hang out. The other teams in the tournament don't have enough fans in attendance to really count them in this discussion
                  All I know is it sucks to have multiple big event going at the same time and same place. When you have to shuttle people in that's going to keep people away. On Saturday or Sunday other schools have fans just not as many their are smaller rooms in the cc they could use and be onsite. I think the city likes it because they get to act like they pull off big events T the same time. I know I am probably a minority in this but I would love for the tourney to go Thursday thru Sunday.

Comment

If this (bold ^) is the case ,they are being awfully short sighted in my opinion. Their estimate on the economic impact for the city of Sioux Falls is somewhere around 2-3 million, not to include the value of the media attention brought to the city that accompanies the tournament (free advertising for them).You'd think it would be in their best interest to try and keep the SLT as successful and growing as they possibly can.The city owns the CC (managed by private company??), so you'd think they could offer the Tournament a little better deal considering how much it means to not only the Summit League, but also to them.Obviously the outdoor show (home show, etc) wants to siphon off the great attendance the SLT draws or they wouldn't continuously want to run it at the same time as the Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                    X