No announcement yet.

GDT Corn Showdown Series:Jackrabbits(12-2) vs the Varmints(5-8) @ Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT Corn Showdown Series:Jackrabbits(12-2) vs the Varmints(5-8) @ Frost Arena

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I think part of the problem is that Nagy didn't redshirt many players but TJ redshirts most of his players. Most of our freshmen on the bench would be sophomores this season and juniors next year if they didn't redshirt.
    I don't quite understand this. If our RS freshman hadn't red shirted last year they would be sophomores, but what is the difference between a true sophomore and a red shirt freshman?

I think TJ is right on track trying to redshirt players. Experience is the key for mid-majors and there just aren't many players that are ready to be big time contributors as freshman at our level.

Comment

Re: GDT Corn Showdown Series:Jackrabbits(12-2) vs the Varmints(5-8) @ Frost Arena

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
      That’s what worries me for next year. We are going to be young, small, not deep, and no mike daum.
      The Jacks will be inexperienced next year, but I don't think they will be small or overly young. There's a couple of good-sized recruits and a couple of highly skilled guys coming in. As of right now, Beau Brown will be the only senior on next year's team. In two years, look out.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I don't quite understand this. If our RS freshman hadn't red shirted last year they would be sophomores, but what is the difference between a true sophomore and a red shirt freshman?

I think TJ is right on track trying to redshirt players. Experience is the key for mid-majors and there just aren't many players that are ready to be big time contributors as freshman at our level.
        The point I was trying to get across is that (I think) somebody was talking about being inexperienced next year. The redshirt freshmen will have two years of sitting on the bench for games but they won't have much court time. We will have 3 players that will have more than 400 minutes of playing time on the team and the rest will not have any/much DI court time.
        I'm not saying the we will be bad but trying to predict where SDSU will be in a preseason poll will be impossible. I know that preseason polls don't amount to anything but it will truly be a TJ team next year.
        I did say that if they aren't going to play anyway it is best to redshirt them and not waste a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I think coaches are now more likely to play freshmen right away, especially if they have a chance to log significant minutes. The whole grad transfer situation becomes significantly less likely if there is no redshirt year. It's a different story if a player isn't physically ready to compete, or if a team is junior/senior heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I think coaches are now more likely to play freshmen right away, especially if they have a chance to log significant minutes. The whole grad transfer situation becomes significantly less likely if there is no redshirt year. It's a different story if a player isn't physically ready to compete, or if a team is junior/senior heavy.
            I completely agree IF the player is ready to be a productive player. I see no reason to be afraid to redshirt a kid because of the grad transfer possibility if he just sits on the bench. To me there is no difference between three years of service from RS freshman to RS junior and four years from freshman to senior when the majority of his freshman year was spent on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              The Jacks will be inexperienced next year, but I don't think they will be small or overly young. There's a couple of good-sized recruits and a couple of highly skilled guys coming in. As of right now, Beau Brown will be the only senior on next year's team. In two years, look out.
              If TJ keeps up his patten, two of the good-sized recruits will redshirt next year. Coburn (6'10") and Scheierman (6'6") will both redshirt. I guess Scheierman is tall but he isn't really good-sized. They will have the juco Wilson (6'7"- good sized) and Grill (6'3"- skilled) that might come in and play right away. That is if Grill is as good as advertised. If he isn't, he might redshirt, too.
              They will add Fiegen as a good sized guy and Mims as a point guard.
              They will only have Beau Brown as a senior and Jenkins Jr and Wilson as juniors. Everybody else will be either freshmen or sophmores. I guess if you look at it Beau Brown, Owen King and Grill might be the only players that didn't have a extra year from either redshirting or prep school so you could add a year for the rest of them.

Comment

We should also consider these freshmen and redshirts have a year of practice with starters too. I t could be similar to some prep experience.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'm not a big fan of redshirting because it ties up scholarships and, over time, reduces the number of prospects a team brings in. Men's teams only get 13 scholarships. After next season, the Jacks might not have any available for new recruits.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of redshirting because it ties up scholarships and, over time, reduces the number of prospects a team brings in. Men's teams only get 13 scholarships. After next season, the Jacks might not have any available for new recruits.
                    I have no problem redshirting guys if they are not ready and I think TJ is right for doing so. The question would be why are they redshirting? Not as good as billed? How’s their upside?

the greatest jack of all-time redshirted which gives us hope.

This will be TJs team next Year- should be interesting to see what the pieces look like.

Comment

• Re: GDT Corn Showdown Series:Jackrabbits(12-2) vs the Varmints(5-8) @ Frost Arena

TJ has said the decision to redshirt isn't necessarily based on ability or a need for another year of practice but is also based on who is ahead of him on the roster and how much playing time that player would get.

Comment

• Re: GDT Corn Showdown Series:Jackrabbits(12-2) vs the Varmints(5-8) @ Frost Arena

Now players are asked to leave. It doesn’t tie up as many scholarships as you think, in my opinion.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                          The greatest jack of all-time redshirted which gives us hope...
                          And he was a cheeseburger away from losing his scholarship...
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

weekly report. tj sporting hoodie today
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iOaZRIAugg
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                            X