Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits(11-2) vs dimunitiver pachyderms(9-4) @ Frost Arena

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Ha, fine. Let me clarify... This team needs Brandon Key with a good attitude.
    Yes yes yes. Key would have been a key contributor this year no doubt.

We don't the SLT championship last year without him.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Yes yes yes. Key would have been a key contributor this year no doubt.

We don't the SLT championship last year without him.
      Same with Howell the year before. But yet the team finds away. Probably be saying that about some else again this year that we dont win it with out him.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I know that Howell is long gone but he would have been a senior this season, too. He was not a great player but he had a few good games when he was a sophomore. You would think that the coaching staff could have made him a little better so he wouldn't be a liability if he was out the 12-17 minutes/game.
        I do agree about the younger guys. There have been 4 of them on campus for about 2 years and they don't seem able to spell the starters for more than a couple of minutes. Didn't somebody say that TJ told the people in SF that the freshmen were really coming along but it's tough finding them playing time with the great upperclassmen?
        I believe Howell had injury issues that limited his availability his last season here. Not sure if he played anywhere else after he left.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I believe Howell had injury issues that limited his availability his last season here. Not sure if he played anywhere else after he left.
          Thanks! I did not know that.

Comment

Who knows how many minutes Key would have played. It appeared he thought he should have been a starter, which would have made the Jacks really small - basically would have meant that he would have replaced Arians in the lineup. Maybe it's just me, but I'll take Arians over Key seven days a week. And if Key would have been competing with Owen King for backup PG minutes, he may have been disappointed with the number of minutes he would have gotten. I think the estimation that his presence would have resulted in three or four more wins is generous. It will be interesting where Key ends up next year, and what kind of influence he has.

Comment

Who knows how many minutes Key would have played. It appeared he thought he should have been a starter, which would have made the Jacks really small - basically would have meant that he would have replaced Arians in the lineup. Maybe it's just me, but I'll take Arians over Key seven days a week. And if Key would have been competing with Owen King for backup PG minutes, he may have been disappointed with the number of minutes he would have gotten. I think the estimation that his presence would have resulted in three or four more wins is generous. It will be interesting where Key ends up next year, and what kind of influence he has.
              I guess the way I look at it is if Key would have been a starter not only would they have been small this year but how much PT would Owen King get? Would they redshirt him? It looks like TJ likes redshirting about everybody. If you play T.King, Daum, Faltten and Key all 30+ minutes, who other than Jenkins Jr would have any playing time next year? They already won't have much experience. That is the problem with 3/4 seniors if you are only going to go 5/6 deep.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I guess the way I look at it is if Key would have been a starter not only would they have been small this year but how much PT would Owen King get? Would they redshirt him? It looks like TJ likes redshirting about everybody. If you play T.King, Daum, Faltten and Key all 30+ minutes, who other than Jenkins Jr would have any playing time next year? They already won't have much experience. That is the problem with 3/4 seniors if you are only going to go 5/6 deep.
                My take was that it would have given Otz the ability to go 7 deep and keep guys more fresh. Whether he would have or not is debatable.

Comment

Howell plays for Jackson State (9-17 record)
                  https://gojsutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=183
                  https://gojsutigers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=mbball (averageing 30min/game)

Comment

Put me in the camp of expecting big things this year from key. I figured key PG djj sg king sf and split time with key at point. Flatten and daum sf/pf. Would be a shorter team but quicker with key. I think like orris it took key to the end of the year to figure out how role. Apparently he wanted a bigger role or to start for sure.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Put me in the camp of expecting big things this year from key. I figured key PG djj sg king sf and split time with key at point. Flatten and daum sf/pf. Would be a shorter team but quicker with key. I think like orris it took key to the end of the year to figure out how role. Apparently he wanted a bigger role or to start for sure.
                      I think his biggest contribution would be the fact he would have brought a skill set that no one else has with his quickness. Run him in the game and let him go balls to the wall defending. When we are lacking energy he could definitely supply that.

Comment

I think his biggest contribution would be the fact he would have brought a skill set that no one else has with his quickness. Run him in the game and let him go balls to the wall defending. When we are lacking energy he could definitely supply that.
                        Right. Give djj a few minutes rest but add defense and key can still drive in just not a consistent outside shot. Oh well. Enjoyed his game against Ohio state.

Comment

While I think that he would have brought some needed energy to the team, as the year progressed I am happy that his departure has given experience to Owen. We will now have two guys, Owen and Alex, that got good minutes going into next year.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            While I think that he would have brought some needed energy to the team, as the year progressed I am happy that his departure has given experience to Owen. We will now have two guys, Owen and Alex, that got good minutes going into next year.
                            Yeah, this is definitely the silver lining.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              You know what this team REALLY needs? Brandon Key. When our guys have the energy to be fully engaged on defense, we are nearly unstoppable in the Summit League. With our 6 man rotation, it's impossible to have the energy to go balls to the walls on defense for 40 minutes straight. With Key, we would have lost 2 or 3 less OOC games and probably 1 less conference game... the SL championship wouldn't be in doubt as much as it is now, and our seed for march madness would look a lot better. Obviously nothing we can do about it now, but man... if he would have stuck it out and been the 7th guy in rotation, we would be a better team, no doubt.

The other thing we really need is Dentlinger or Dillon to step up and be a consistent option. The difference with Daum out of the game is so great that he just has to play damn near 40 minutes against good teams. People rag on his defense, but he would be a much better defender if he only had to play 32-35 minutes per game. The same goes for all of the starters... it's tough to play good defense the whole game when you don't get a break.
                              This. The defensive effort was lackluster at best in the first half. Honestly it was pretty pathetic. And you have to wonder if guys are purposely trying to reserve energy because they know they're going to be asked to play 37-40 minutes a night. Brandon Key would've played an absolutely huge role on this team, and I do feel like Dillon or Dentlinger are good enough to play into the rotation more. Key simply screwed over this team and it's really unfortunate still.

Owen King still would've played this season, and realistically we could go comfortably 8 deep with O. King, Key, Dentlinger/Dillon. That would be the ideal scenario. Again, we should win the SLT this year with the current rotation and situation, but we have done that before. This season is about winning in the NCAA Tournament and about the ceiling that this team could/should have.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                                This. The defensive effort was lackluster at best in the first half. Honestly it was pretty pathetic. And you have to wonder if guys are purposely trying to reserve energy because they know they're going to be asked to play 37-40 minutes a night. Brandon Key would've played an absolutely huge role on this team, and I do feel like Dillon or Dentlinger are good enough to play into the rotation more. Key simply screwed over this team and it's really unfortunate still.

Owen King still would've played this season, and realistically we could go comfortably 8 deep with O. King, Key, Dentlinger/Dillon. That would be the ideal scenario. Again, we should win the SLT this year with the current rotation and situation, but we have done that before. This season is about winning in the NCAA Tournament and about the ceiling that this team could/should have.
                                The problem is, to win an NCAA tournament game you have to put a full game together. With a 6 man rotation it's really hard to do that against teams with better athletes and a deep bench. We'll have to rely on some poor shooting by the other team and a good shooting day by us. It's definitely possible with our firepower on offense, but it will be tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X