Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits(10-2) vs NDSU bison bulls(8-4) @ Scheels Center

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    I see where someone stated that the Jenkins' shot was bigger than the Sid Bostic shot in 1963 to win a national championship. People get caught up in hype so I understand. The Jenkins' shot will be remembered for a few months or even a year or two. In time, it won't be remembered by too many people other than Jenkins, his teammates and some aging fans. This team will be judged by what it does in the Summit League tournament, and if successful, wins a game in the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, it will be remembered as another good team that fell far short of its promise. I'm one of those old guys who doesn't find satisfaction in getting to the Big Dance as it's been done before. One and done is no fun. Talent wise, this might be the best team SDSU has ever assembled. I find no joy in participating. It's time to get something done.
    The two shots are both behind Orris' fron the Summit Tournament IMO. But that is just because Sid's shot happened 16 years before in was born.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I was checking scores on the ESPN App. For today's game, there's a link to 'highlights' and the headline is SDSU beats rival NDSU with 40 ft buzzer beater (that's not a quote but pretty close). Point is most of the game scores do not have highlights linked. Very good chance that shot (which I have now reviewed at least eight times) will be on Sports Center starting with the 11:00 PM show and will likely be replayed on Sports Center into tomorrow morning.

Always good to get in front of the national audience even when it involves our rival.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I was checking scores on the ESPN App. For today's game, there's a link to 'highlights' and the headline is SDSU beats rival NDSU with 40 ft buzzer beater (that's not a quote but pretty close). Point is most of the game scores do not have highlights linked. Very good chance that shot (which I have now reviewed at least eight times) will be on Sports Center starting with the 11:00 PM show and will likely be replayed on Sports Center into tomorrow morning.

Always good to get in front of the national audience even when it involves our rival.
        Just showed the shot on ESPN during halftime of the Kentucky- Tennessee game.

Comment

Just returned from watching Watertown beat #3 Brandon Valley by about 15 and the checked that ESPN highlight SDSU v NDSU headline. It says: "Jackrabbits beat rivals on half-court buzzer beater".

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            Thanks for posting that! My wife and I were watching it online. I told her, damn, I wish I could have heard Tyler call that!
            Same here except it was my wife who said "I wish I could have heard Tyler call that!" When I started the audio clip that is linked by BigGoosie, the volume was pretty low and I was going to try to make it louder just as Tyler calls the shot going in...glad I didn't have the volume any higher!

Comment

Bison pressor
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6OyuYH6Zw
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Absolutely crazy win. A huge win at that. With that being said.....

We have some real problems fundamentally on defense. Bad closeouts, bad P&R communication. Otz is a terrific recruiter and offensive mind, but can someone explain to me how he thought it would a good idea to switch Daum onto Shahid TWICE? Shahid blew by him twice with his quickness advantage and it should've sunk us if not for a miraculous shot. After 28 games this year I would think we would be better in P&R coverage, but we consistently get lost and leave wide open threes. We did it all night tonight.

Obviously this comes off as a fairly negative post, but the defensive breakdowns are troubling, and with how dynamic we are offensively, it is really frustrating to watch us play as sloppy as we did today.

For real though, this would've been a bad, bad loss on the resume for the NCAA tourney. We're blessed to have the two most talented offensive players in the history of this program playing alongside each other right now. We shall soak it in these last few weeks!

Comment

P
                  Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                  I see where someone stated that the Jenkins' shot was bigger than the Sid Bostic shot in 1963 to win a national championship. People get caught up in hype so I understand. The Jenkins' shot will be remembered for a few months or even a year or two. In time, it won't be remembered by too many people other than Jenkins, his teammates and some aging fans. This team will be judged by what it does in the Summit League tournament, and if successful, wins a game in the NCAA tournament. Otherwise, it will be remembered as another good team that fell far short of its promise. I'm one of those old guys who doesn't find satisfaction in getting to the Big Dance as it's been done before. One and done is no fun. Talent wise, this might be the best team SDSU has ever assembled. I find no joy in participating. It's time to get something done.
                  Rome was not built in one day. So it goes with SDSU basketball. Eventually the Sweet Sixteen will be a common occurrence, it may happen after I am long gone from the living, but it will happen so why not enjoy the thrillers? After seeing UNO whip us, we needed a lifter and we got it today. Yes is time to get something done and we did it today. UNO and NDSU may not be good basketball teams but they are good enough to give us a down to the wire game. Many other teams would have folded like an accordion today but we did not. We finish with a 3 game home stand, so I willing to bet dollars to donuts we are the number one seed in the SLT. BTW, I was one of hundreds of fans in Donor auditorium, who paid 25 cents to listen to the piped in radio broadcast from Evansville Indiana of the National Championship in 1963. There was no Midco or ESPN3 back then. The thrill of that win did not sink in until days later. I do agree with your comment that talent wise, this might be the best team SDSU has ever assembled. It can only get better, and I think Coach Nagy did us a big favor by moving on. He had advanced this program as far as he could. Possibly, Coach Otzenberger gets us to the sweet sixteen if not this year then down the road.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 02-16-2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Sid Bostic's shot won a national championship. That's got to stand as the greatest shot in Jackrabbit men's basketball history because of its meaning. However, Jenkins will join Orris and a few other SDSU greats with a seat at the head table at the All Time Shots Banquet.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

The Jenkins half-court buzzer-beater over rival NDSU is #2 in Sport Center’s Top Ten list. Iowa’s Winning buzzer-beater vs Rutgers was picked #1.

The Top Ten is at the end of the half hour Sports Center. AND THEN, AT THE TOP OF THE HOUR, they lead off with the ‘best finishes’ and the first one is DJJ’s shot. They show a clip of the Omaha buzzer beater against the Jackrabbits and then they replay DJJ’s shot again. That was followed with the post-game Midco interview of DJJ when he states how the Jacks end their practices with a half court shot and he never makes it. “But you did when it counted” the ESPN guy said, adding “Jenkins finished the night with 24 points” as they move to the Iowa finish.

Priceless.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8diVnY2xrLI called the bank!!!
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          Great interview. So glad to have Jenkins at SDSU and to be able to see him play for 2 more years. I love how he was talking about needing to step on teams' throats early so they don't have a shot at the end. That's the mentality this team needs going into the SLT. If they play like that, they should win their next 6 with 3 at Frost and the next 3 at Frost South.

Comment

I was surprised that when the Bison shot that last free throw that they had three players plus the shooter up tight and only had one back at half court. Given the situation, it would have made sense to me to pulled more people back to defend. When Jenkins hit the shot, there were two defenders that were behind him with no chance to impact the play.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gojacksmbb/statu...806977026?s=21

Inside the locker room moments after the game. Looks like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                https://twitter.com/gojacksmbb/statu...806977026?s=21

Inside the locker room moments after the game. Looks like fun!
                                Gosh guys dont lay an egg at home. I would hope not.

Comment

Working...
                                X