Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eidsness Heading to Northern Illinois

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Looking at Brown's quotes in this article, I think we have our answer as to why he left and an answer as to whether Stig was handcuffing him.

https://acusports.com/news/2019/2/12...ota-state.aspx

To me, the telling quotes are:

"I believe I need a new challenge and to learn under a new head coach, especially since my goal is to one day be a head coach. I loved my time at South Dakota State, but this was a good time to get a new perspective."

and especially:

"I want our defense to be aggressive, but not over the top," Brown said of the style he will incorporate at ACU. "I would think that 30-40 percent of our game plan each week will involve some sort of pressure on the quarterback."

So... basically what most of us have said that we wanted to see, but Stig wouldn't let him implement. Expect to see more of the same vanilla 4-3, no press, no blitz, bend but don't break defense until Stig is gone.
    Who was DC when when had Batten? Weren't those pretty highly ranked defense?
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Who was DC when when had Batten? Weren't those pretty highly ranked defense?
      Brown became co-DC in 2010, the year after Batten left. He was co-DC with Bubak until Bubak left in 2013.

Comment

This is simply my guess, but the reason you wouldn't look externally is because it would be harder to find someone that was willing to continue to run the Defensive scheme you want to run... If you promote internally, you can make that a condition of the promotion, and they would likely be more on board with it since it's what they already run.
        That sounds like a HC that is very insecure or very unwilling to incorporate any type of change or new ideas.

Comment

The Jacks have a lot of good, young talent on their coaching staff, offensively and defensively. Promoting from within gives those guys something to aspire to, an opportunity to pursue in exchange for good work. If the Jacks had sucked the past few years, it probably would be a different story now. You'd want to go outside and bring in new perspectives. I'm thinking the Jacks might come out ahead in this double shakeup. Promote a couple of talented young guys to coordinator positions to help keep them on staff, and add a couple of new up-and-comers to add fresh perspectives. I suspect budget limits are factors, too. Most FCS teams can't afford to flush money down the toilet chasing proven, highly successful assistant coaches.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            The Jacks have a lot of good, young talent on their coaching staff, offensively and defensively. Promoting from within gives those guys something to aspire to, an opportunity to pursue in exchange for good work. If the Jacks had sucked the past few years, it probably would be a different story now. You'd want to go outside and bring in new perspectives. I'm thinking the Jacks might come out ahead in this double shakeup. Promote a couple of talented young guys to coordinator positions to help keep them on staff, and add a couple of new up-and-comers to add fresh perspectives. I suspect budget limits are factors, too. Most FCS teams can't afford to flush money down the toilet chasing proven, highly successful assistant coaches.
            It's fairly late in the game to be bringing in completely new schemes with spring practice coming up around the corner. If the openings had occurred right after the season was over, the reactions might have been different.

Comment

He’s going for a couple reasons. Autonomy, chance to become a head coach down the road, and pay.
              1. Autonomy. Unfortunately Stig wants to keep playing the blah 4-3 with very limited pressure. I thing the philosophical differences may have become too much this year when the defense received plenty of heat but Brown felt like he was handcuffed.
              2. Stig gets a five year extension and both coordinators leave. This isn’t coincidental, IMO. Many of us were surprised and no one will directly say it but I think the coaches were too. Again, my opinion, but I think Brown and E thought they were the next guy. This also allows Brown to diversify with another coaching tree. 10 years with one program is a long time in college football.
              3. Don’t have the specifics but I’ve been told it’s a significant raise. Can’t blame him for taking the opportunity to secure his family’s future.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                He’s going for a couple reasons. Autonomy, chance to become a head coach down the road, and pay.
                1. Autonomy. Unfortunately Stig wants to keep playing the blah 4-3 with very limited pressure. I thing the philosophical differences may have become too much this year when the defense received plenty of heat but Brown felt like he was handcuffed.
                2. Stig gets a five year extension and both coordinators leave. This isn’t coincidental, IMO. Many of us were surprised and no one will directly say it but I think the coaches were too. Again, my opinion, but I think Brown and E thought they were the next guy. This also allows Brown to diversify with another coaching tree. 10 years with one program is a long time in college football.
                3. Don’t have the specifics but I’ve been told it’s a significant raise. Can’t blame him for taking the opportunity to secure his family’s future.
                I don’t doubt any thing said here. The headcoach at Abilene Christian, Adam Dorrel, was once an assistant at Dakota State and very successful at NW Missouri State after Mel Tjerrsma retired. Mel came from Springfield SD, and turned around a program at NWMSU. I knew Adam Dorrel father, who was electric cooperative manager in Missouri. They are good people. Clint has an opportunity here and I don’t resent his move. It looks like a rebuilding opportunity. The extension event kind of tells as something. We could see both applying for HC when Stig retires.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 03-09-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I don’t doubt any thing said here. The headcoach at Abilene Christian, Adam Dorrel, was once an assistant at Dakota State and very successful at NW Missouri State after Mel Tjerrsma retired. Mel came Springfield SD, and turned around a program at NWMSU. I knew Adam Dorrel father, who was electric cooperative manager in Missouri. They are good people. Clint has an opportunity here and don’t resent his move. It looks like a rebuilding opportunity. The extension event kind of tells as something. We could see both applying for HC when Stig retires.
                  Rep points given to Nidaros for adding the chance to work under Adam Dorrel. If I were positioning myself to be a head coach, I'd want to learn from multiple stars in the head coaching circles. What Brown had to glean from working under Stig is how important culture is to a program. We may not love our defensive scheme, but nearly everything else that Stig had developed at SDSU has been very successful. The culture of developing outstanding men who also excel at football and academics is at the top of the list.

However, if I were Clint Brown, I'd also consider further developing a resume by working under a very successful head coach. We will see if it pans out at Abilene Christian, but Dorrel's track record at NW Missouri State was phenomenal. Three national championships in six years speaks for itself. When you look at the defensive numbers and philosophy of the Bearcats' program, you will see why they were so dominant. In Dorrel's first year as head coach in Marysville, they outscored opponents. Their defense gave up over 23 points per game. In their last three years under his leadership, they were giving up around 12 points per game and dominated with turnovers. If Clint does well with his system under a coach with a great track record, I'd be very inclined to consider him as a head coaching candidate. Abilene Christian may not be a lateral move with SDSU, but working for Dorrel and having the chance to turn around a program is a great opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    Rep points given to Nidaros for adding the chance to work under Adam Dorrel. If I were positioning myself to be a head coach, I'd want to learn from multiple stars in the head coaching circles. What Brown had to glean from working under Stig is how important culture is to a program. We may not love our defensive scheme, but nearly everything else that Stig had developed at SDSU has been very successful. The culture of developing outstanding men who also excel at football and academics is at the top of the list.

However, if I were Clint Brown, I'd also consider further developing a resume by working under a very successful head coach. We will see if it pans out at Abilene Christian, but Dorrel's track record at NW Missouri State was phenomenal. Three national championships in six years speaks for itself. When you look at the defensive numbers and philosophy of the Bearcats' program, you will see why they were so dominant. In Dorrel's first year as head coach in Marysville, they outscored opponents. Their defense gave up over 23 points per game. In their last three years under his leadership, they were giving up around 12 points per game and dominated with turnovers. If Clint does well with his system under a coach with a great track record, I'd be very inclined to consider him as a head coaching candidate. Abilene Christian may not be a lateral move with SDSU, but working for Dorrel and having the chance to turn around a program is a great opportunity.
                    Thanks for adding details. I think Bergstrom or even Jimmy Rogers can step to the plate and deliver. Rep pts given

Comment

• Re: Eidsness Heading to Northern Illinois

FYI, Brown is scheduled for an interview on KWSN at 5:25 this evening.

Comment

FYI, Brown is scheduled for an interview on KWSN at 5:25 this evening.
                        I listened to the podcast from KWSN with Zimmer this morning. Zimmer was pretty careful not to speculate too much, but wasn't shy about this being a move that is a step down for Brown.

The whole scenario screams like there was some tension between Stig and Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          I listened to the podcast from KWSN with Zimmer this morning. Zimmer was pretty careful not to speculate too much, but wasn't shy about this being a move that is a step down for Brown.

The whole scenario screams like there was some tension between Stig and Brown.
                          Maybe or maybe not. Abiline is no longer D2, but FCS in transition Going from 2-9 to 6-5 is progress. No one has a smoking gun in summing up the Stig-Brown relationship. It just might be the opposite of your conclusion.

Comment

Some times it's just time to move on. The old coaches cliche. You should probably leave before they want you to leave. Or something like that. Let's face it defense was our issue the last couple years. Brown knew it and probably no secret stig was looking for more.

Side note did they fill oc yet? I think eck should get it.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Abilene Christian fan here. Excellent post and spot on.

Adam Dorrel will be entering his third year at ACU this fall. He inherited a group of players recruited for a pass happy spread offense where defense was an afterthought. Dorrel prefers a balanced, run first offense and a rock solid defense. After a 2-9 first year, ACU finished 6-5 last year as Dorrel has found players who better fit his approach and have been willing to buy into the change in culture. We certainly aren’t at SDSU’s level, but we are headed in the right direction under Dorrel’s Leadership.

Brown will inherit a defense that returns 8 starters from a unit that finished just ahead of SDSU in total defense last season so he will have some talent to work with.

We believe we are ready to take the next step and go to the playoffs in 2019, but we have a rugged schedule. Two Southland Conference teams finished in Hero Sports top 10 FCS recruiting rankings and we play three 2018 FCS play off teams as well as two FBS teams OOC, Mississippi State and North Texas.

We we are excited to see what Brown can do with our defense. Stay tuned.

Comment

Welcome to the board, OscarWildeCat. Good message-board name. English major? (Minor in Irish Lit?).

Comment

Working...
                                X