Eidsness Heading to Northern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eidsness Heading to Northern Illinois

Honestly, I think this is an okay deal. Granted we keep Jimmy, Dan, Bergy, and Christian. I'm more nervous to hear about any additional departures.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Will we open this position up or is it another predetermined deal?

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Honestly, I think this is an okay deal. Granted we keep Jimmy, Dan, Bergy, and Christian. I'm more nervous to hear about any additional departures.
        Agreed 100%.

Comment

I think fresh blood on the DC side will be a good thing. I guess if we end up seeing more of the same, we'll know that Stig was handcuffing the D all along (which would explain Brown moving laterally to ACU to implement "his" system if it wasn't in the cards here).

Or, we'll see a little bit of some different schemes and see how that ends up for us. Either way, I think this move is a net positive for everyone involved, provided a bunch of the D assistants don't move with him.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            He's going to be DC (not even HC) at ACU... a mid level team in the Southland conference...

Warmer weather and theoretically more fertile recruiting grounds. Not a terrible move.

And I also believe he was being handcuffed as far as defensive scheme. It'll be interesting to see what happens down there when he runs "his own scheme".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's ACU? Not sure I have heard of them.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                What's ACU? Not sure I have heard of them.
                Abilene Christian University - they've only been D-I since 2013 or 2014. Lateral move at best.

Comment

How long had Brown be d-coordinator here? Seems like our defenses at least the last few years have been mediocre at best. Any chance this was a move that was encouraged by the administration? Maybe encouraged isn't the right word, but I just don't see this as a negative. We sure seem to have talent on the defensive side of the ball but I don't feel like we make the most of that talent.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    How long had Brown be d-coordinator here? Seems like our defenses at least the last few years have been mediocre at best. Any chance this was a move that was encouraged by the administration? Maybe encouraged isn't the right word, but I just don't see this as a negative. We sure seem to have talent on the defensive side of the ball but I don't feel like we make the most of that talent.
                    Here for 10 years, coordinator for 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                      I think fresh blood on the DC side will be a good thing. I guess if we end up seeing more of the same, we'll know that Stig was handcuffing the D all along (which would explain Brown moving laterally to ACU to implement "his" system if it wasn't in the cards here).

Or, we'll see a little bit of some different schemes and see how that ends up for us. Either way, I think this move is a net positive for everyone involved, provided a bunch of the D assistants don't move with him.
                      Will no doubt see a hire that aligns with Stig's philosophy. Is that good, bad? Meh.

Brown was a good guy and coach. Wish him well. Hope this is a move that allows him to move up to even bigger things.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Will hire DC within current staff.
                        https://kwsn.com/news/articles/2019/...ool-in-texas/#

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I don't get it. Don't even look outside of your window to see what's out there?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Abilene Christian University - they've only been D-I since 2013 or 2014. Lateral move at best.
                            You'd have to really try hard to make this look like a lateral move. It had better include a hell of a pay increase. I just don't understand it tbh. Really the only thing that makes sense other than money is that he was sick of being handcuffed by Stig. If he aspires to be HC, he could have stayed here and waited for Stig to leave or waited for the right opportunity elsewhere. Their HC is pretty young.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              I don't get it. Don't even look outside of your window to see what's out there?
                              This is simply my guess, but the reason you wouldn't look externally is because it would be harder to find someone that was willing to continue to run the Defensive scheme you want to run... If you promote internally, you can make that a condition of the promotion, and they would likely be more on board with it since it's what they already run.

Comment

Looking at Brown's quotes in this article, I think we have our answer as to why he left and an answer as to whether Stig was handcuffing him.

https://acusports.com/news/2019/2/12...ota-state.aspx

To me, the telling quotes are:

"I believe I need a new challenge and to learn under a new head coach, especially since my goal is to one day be a head coach. I loved my time at South Dakota State, but this was a good time to get a new perspective."

and especially:

"I want our defense to be aggressive, but not over the top," Brown said of the style he will incorporate at ACU. "I would think that 30-40 percent of our game plan each week will involve some sort of pressure on the quarterback."

So... basically what most of us have said that we wanted to see, but Stig wouldn't let him implement. Expect to see more of the same vanilla 4-3, no press, no blitz, bend but don't break defense until Stig is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X