Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eidsness Heading to Northern Illinois

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Count me as all in on Eck. And even if he doesn't retain o line coaching duties, I think we'll be fine. He's made a huge difference in the o line since he's been here, and I think any hire that he'd be a part of would reflect his style for the o line.

And count me out as to Meadows. Our offenses were much more productive and dynamic after EE took over full time.

I'm also open to an outside hire, but I think that seems unlikely given the record of Eck and the need to keep the rest of the "system" in place.
    And Eck also likely has some new ideas that can tweak the system to make the offense even better. And it already has produced pretty good results. In the last 5 years, Jacks have set career Valley (and in some cases FCS) records for QB's, RB's, WR's and TE's. As far as finding a new OL coach, Eck probably knows potential replacement candidates better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      The OC will be a hire within. Stig stated this to Matt Zimmer in an Argus article.
      I'm not sure I understand why? The position wouldn't be opened up to see who may apply?

Comment

I’m confused as to why some posters think if Eck got OC job he wouldn’t continue coaching O-line?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          I would hope there would be plenty of outside interest in this. New blood and fresh ideas are not always a bad thing.
          We have some flexibility on the staff as well. Dan Jackson was an OC in high school, so he has the ability to swing over to the offense if a defensive coach applied that could help the defense.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand why? The position wouldn't be opened up to see who may apply?
            I am thinking that there are some members of this board who might be perfect candidates for the coaching staff.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Eck is an OL guy and an OL coach. We are not at the level where we can have a coach as a coordinator but also not cover a position group. So if Eck is promoted to OC, I would with 99% certainty assume that he also remains the OL coach and does not move to QB coach or another position that handles less players.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                I am thinking that there are some members of this board who might be perfect candidates for the coaching staff.
                I just trying to understand why you wouldn't even see what's out there? Sure hire from with in is a nice safe choice but not even exploring other opportunities seems a bit short sighted.

Comment

I just trying to understand why you wouldn't even see what's out there? Sure hire from with in is a nice safe choice but not even exploring other opportunities seems a bit short sighted.
                  I would agree and it is likely that the position(s) would be open to the public for all comers. I was only thinking about all the expertise that might come forward from members of this board who bring ideas that could be serious contenders in this marketplace. It was not a real serious comment and it was not pointing at you in particular. I apologize if you thought it was argumentative.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    I would agree and it is likely that the position(s) would be open to the public for all comers. I was only thinking about all the expertise that might come forward from members of this board who bring ideas that could be serious contenders in this marketplace. It was not a real serious comment and it was not pointing at you in particular. I apologize if you thought it was argumentative.
                    No worries as I didn't take it that way at all. I'm just not a big fan of hearing "we will hire from with in" before any candidates have even been mentioned. Sounds like a done deal to me.

Comment

No worries as I didn't take it that way at all. I'm just not a big fan of hearing "we will hire from with in" before any candidates have even been mentioned. Sounds like a done deal to me.
                      There's something to be said about continuity and promoting from within for the long term stability from a coaching standpoint and a player standpoint as well. Stig was quoted in Zim's article saying something similar. If we have a qualified person in the system already, I have no problem with promoting from within and back filling with a new/young guy. If you are swapping out/bringing in new head coaches and coordinators frequently, it's a recipe for disaster imo (see the Vikings this year ).

Comment

If Eck did leave with EE, I'd really hope we open up for an external hire. Not because the remaining internal candidates won't cut it (they might), but the reason Stig stated that they wanted to hire within was to "keep continuity". If we lose our OC and the O line coach that's been a huge part of our dynamic offense the past three seasons, I think that argument is no longer valid. Those are the two most important offensive staff positions, and I'd say our "continuity" is seriously interrupted already if both Eck and EE leave. At that point, I'd definitely like to see an outside candidate get a strong look. Maybe it's just a rumor though. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          If Eck did leave with EE, I'd really hope we open up for an external hire. Not because the remaining internal candidates won't cut it (they might), but the reason Stig stated that they wanted to hire within was to "keep continuity". If we lose our OC and the O line coach that's been a huge part of our dynamic offense the past three seasons, I think that argument is no longer valid. Those are the two most important offensive staff positions, and I'd say our "continuity" is seriously interrupted already if both Eck and EE leave. At that point, I'd definitely like to see an outside candidate get a strong look. Maybe it's just a rumor though. Who knows.
                          Who's saying Eck is leaving?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

Any assumption that Eck is leaving is a little far fetched. EE got the offensive coordinator job at NIU, not the head coaching job where staff would follow the head coach to the new job.

Comment

Eck was promoted up to running game coordinator... he's got the job already, in my opinion. He'll do fine.

I'd imagine Lujan will move to QB's... I mean, maybe. He did just start at RB's... but he did play the position.

Eck would continue to coach the OLine, he's basically just now the playcaller.

Congrats to EE, he really did a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

There was post before mine that referenced the NIU fan forum speculating Eck was following EE to NIU. Post is gone, so maybe it's been edited/removed. It was just Husky fan speculation. My point was that in the event that we did somehow lose Eck to NIU, I'd like to see it opened up to an outside hire.

Comment

Working...
                                X