Unattached Wrestlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattached Wrestlers

I used to think that while not an expert, I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to wrestling. However I never really understood the "unattached wrestler" idea. I know that they are red-shirts who are allowed to wrestle, but what are their limitations?
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: Unattached Wrestlers

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I used to think that while not an expert, I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to wrestling. However I never really understood the "unattached wrestler" idea. I know that they are red-shirts who are allowed to wrestle, but what are their limitations?
    I don't think they can be coached by any member of the coaching staff at a tournament. When Tanner Sloan placed second at the big tournament he had his former high school coach and Seth Gross in his corner.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      I don't think they can be coached by any member of the coaching staff at a tournament. When Tanner Sloan placed second at the big tournament he had his former high school coach and Seth Gross in his corner.
      That is a really interesting way to handle a red-shirt season. It would be like if there was a 3 on 3 game between basketball red-shirts before each game.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I believe it is also up to athlete to pay for expenses. You see unattached participation in the individual sports. Wrestling, Track , swimming etc

Comment

The athlete can certainly pay his own expenses but I think often the Jackrabbit Wrestling Club funds this type of travel. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Comment

You are not wrong. JWC is an outside organization that accepts donations to JWC, not SDSU athletics. They assist (provide dollars for an additional coach in one case) and can help individuals with their expenses to attend tournaments as unattached wrestlers. Contributions to JWC do not count as donations to SDSU for IRS, donor records and "points" for the individual. In most cases the unattached wrestlers go together for transportation as their own expense, or by volunteers that take them, and complimented in all or part by JWC. JWC will hold a big night this Saturday at Cubby's. You can go for a $250 ticket (for two), free food and drink, and the chance to win $10,000. Just show up at Cubby's with $250 and you (and a guest) are in!! GO JACKS!

Comment

Actually, It's right next to Cubbys, the event is at '9 Bar & Nightclub', 305 Main Avenue, Brookings

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                The athlete can certainly pay his own expenses but I think often the Jackrabbit Wrestling Club funds this type of travel. Correct me if I'm wrong?
                The wrestlers have to pay for their own expenses if they redshirt. JWC supports freestyle wrestling which is done in the offseason. The JWC supported Seth Gross in making the world team. Most top wrestling teams have wrestling clubs that pay for their athletes to compete and have paid athletes (graduates) to train with their team.

Comment

Saw that Alex Lloyd will be wrestling at Rochester,MN Community College next season.

Comment

Working...
                  X