Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018/19 season

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Why are you so defensive of the wrestling program? They are not having a good year that is a given, but I just dont see the spit and fire that the coaching staff had last year. Just an observation and can you take it for that? Or do I get crucified some more for expressing my opinion. Athletes giving up only happens in USD football, and their fan board went nuts last fall when it happens somewhere in the season. I not trying to tear this program apart but when an institution is paying nearly $40k for full cost of attendance, I do get concerned about attitudes of athletes. They best be pulling their weight.
    When your opinion calls into question the compassion of a coach that I for one know cares deeply about his assistants/wrestlers/program darn right I'm going to call you on the carpet. You're entitled to your opinion, incorrect as it may be. Regarding athletes pulling their weight, what happens if Daum goes 3/22 shooting one night, or Miller has 9 turnovers, or Strong fumbles 3 times???
    Last edited by Jackedforlife; 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM. Reason: delete sarcasm, unproductive

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      I watch online all the time and don’t think I’ve caught a glimpse of Hahn yet. I could only guess at how “passionate” he is, but I’m sure not worried about it at this point.
      We are all used to the prior coaching staff. This staff is completely different, which is not good or bad. They are just different. Everyone was hoping we could build on from last year but like other’s have stated the roster is in a rebuilding mode. What I do notice from the staff during duals is they are always coaching (before, during and especially after).

125: Brown transfers. We have a true Freshmen who is over-matched. No fault to him. He has stepped up and is taking it on the chin.
      133: Gross injured. Molitor has moved down from starting the year at 141.
      141: A lot of young guys at this weight. Besides 125, 141 is our next weight where we were going to struggle at. Carlson, true Freshmen and Price are going 1-2 in open tournaments.
      149: Pohlmeyer moved up from last year and is our strongest competitor. He has been up and down. More up then down. If he is at his best he can be an All American.
      157: Carlson would be my most improved from last year.
      165: Peterson has been battling injuries. I bet if you asked Logan he would be disappointed the way his senior season is going.
      174: Bye is finally getting a shot and things just have not gone good. Bye maybe more successful in other wrestling styles (Greco).
      184: Carlson is having a good season. He too has moved up, two weight classes, from last year.
      197. Mueller had early injury which kept him out 2 weeks. In my opinion (and I don’t know if he struggled to make weight last year) this weight class might not be the right weight class. Marty last year would go for the big strong throws last year. He isn’t able to do this with these bigger wrestlers. With Sloan emerging could Marty move down next year with Carlson moving to 174? I have no idea how hard that would be for them (they would probably tell me, “yeah... are you stupid?”)
      285: Wolters is holding his own. We haven’t had a highly dominant Hwt.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        Hahn is a 180 from Bono as far as your eyes will tell you from watching him at a match. I don't question his passion some coaches just do things differently.
        ^THIS^

Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll and Bud Grant weren't really the in your face fire it up kinda coaches yet they seemed to do quite well...just sayin'
        Last edited by Jackedforlife; 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Quick question: have you seen a SDSU dual in person or online this year?
          No I have not and regret posting to this thread. Does that answer your quick question?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            No I have not and regret posting to this thread. Does that answer your quick question?
            Yes it does. Thank you.

Comment

Yes it does. Thank you.
              Things I am encouraged by:

*The amount of activity on this and other Wrestling threads.

*The passion for the sport shown here.

*The promising line up we will have next year.

* What appears to be a great coaching staff (who Iv'e heard nothing but good things about, can't say that for some in the past[Not calling anybody out here so we're all clear])

*The possibility of 1 if not 2 AA's yet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Things I am encouraged by:

*The amount of activity on this and other Wrestling threads.

*The passion for the sport shown here.

*The promising line up we will have next year.

* What appears to be a great coaching staff (who Iv'e heard nothing but good things about, can't say that for some in the past[Not calling anybody out here so we're all clear])

*The possibility of 1 if not 2 AA's yet this year.
                Yes agree. Many years ago wrestling was on the chopping block and to see the interest is good. I talked with Justin Sell about wrestling at one of the events introducing Coach Hahn, and we discussed how wrestling and FCS football are two sports were National Championships are a real possibility. Are we there yet, heck no but the continued interest has to be there and continue to grow. I will say it again the wrestling duals last year were as much or more fun to attend than basketball games and I am a basketball guy first. The fans get into them when the action is rolling. I just hope that we don’t lose that.

Comment

Yes agree. Many years ago wrestling was on the chopping block and to see the interest is good. I talked with Justin Sell about wrestling at one of the events introducing Coach Hahn, and we discussed how wrestling and FCS football are two sports were National Championships are a real possibility. Are we there yet, heck no but the continued interest has to be there and continue to grow. I will say it again the wrestling duals last year were as much or more fun to attend than basketball games and I am a basketball guy first. The fans get into them when the action is rolling. I just hope that we don’t lose that.
                  They included a wrestling dual pass in the basketball season tickets, so my nephew told me after I gave my basketball tickets to him. I have not been able for health reasons to attend. That seems a good way to promote the wrestling sport. Years ago it seems like in the Barn, they held wrestling after a basketball game. As I recall, St. Cloud was the opponent. Not many fans hung around and it was a new sport back then. Its no doubt come a long ways since then. With attendance being between 2k and 3k,thats a good crowd.

Comment

Zimmer has an article today on the state of the wrestling program. Talks about all of the freshman redshirts, without any mention of Alex Lloyd, who was the highest rated recruit of the class coming in. He hasn't wrestled in any open tournaments at all. I've asked a couple of times here if he is injured, and nobody has responded. Does anyone have any insight on what is going on ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Zimmer has an article today on the state of the wrestling program. Talks about all of the freshman redshirts, without any mention of Alex Lloyd, who was the highest rated recruit of the class coming in. He hasn't wrestled in any open tournaments at all. I've asked a couple of times here if he is injured, and nobody has responded. Does anyone have any insight on what is going on ?
                      I think there is a rumor out there but I won't post it.

Comment

SDSU drops another dual to Fresno State, 3-38, painful but its a rebuilding year.

Comment

What’s been going on with Mueller? He was very solid at 184 but has struggled a lot with the move up.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
                            What’s been going on with Mueller? He was very solid at 184 but has struggled a lot with the move up.
                            He has missed a good part of the season because of injury (concussion ?)

Comment

Working...
                            X