Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seth Gross

Originally posted by opinionsaremyown View Post
    The best thing to ever happen to SDSU wrestling was the exchange of Bono for Hahn. Two completely different people with totally different standards. We are in a much better place now than ever before. Just follow the development of current athletes (on and off the mat) and the recruits we have. This program is building something special.
    I would still argue that Bono was the best thing to ever happen to SDSU wrestling. The program was on life support when he came here and arguably wouldn't be around yet hadn't Bono revived it. Regardless of the standards he had, they didn't seem to bother any of us at the time from what I recall. I believe we glossed it over with comments about how tough wrestling is as a college sport and that toughness was what we were missing. Plus, Bono taking this program to national relevance is the only reason we have Hahn right now.

With all of that said, I am extremely happy Hahn is here right now. I think the rest of your post is spot on.

Comment

So winning at all costs is the most important thing to you. That's fine and respect your point of view. From the outside that may look good but from the inside it is ugly.

Comment

So winning at all costs is the most important thing to you. That's fine and respect your point of view. From the outside that may look good but from the inside it is ugly.
        That's not what he's saying at all. Without Bono there's a chance there isn't a wrestling program at SDSU. Bono literally brought this program from the brink of folding to a contender on the national stage. It's not a far-reaching argument that Bono was the exact coach SDSU needed when he was hired.

It's easy to rag on the guy now but when he was here pretty much everyone was drinking the Bono Kool-Aid.

Let me ask this. If you had to pick having Bono as the head coach (for the time period he was here) or no wrestling program what are you picking?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

It's easy to rag on the guy now but when he was here pretty much everyone was drinking the Bono Kool-Aid.

Let me ask this. If you had to pick having Bono as the head coach (for the time period he was here) or no wrestling program what are you picking?
          Excellent points. I was totally 100% behind Bono and the success he brought to SDSU. Then I interviewed him and felt very differently. That negative feeling has only increased since he left and more information has come out. BUT, you're right. I'd rather have a program than no program and if he hadn't come we likely wouldn't have a program. When I was in school the Jacks lost plenty of duals because there just weren't enough bodies to compete and we forfeited dang near half the weight classes.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Nope, that isn't true. Never said that at all feel free to read my post again. I said our program potentially survived only because of Bono and I feel fairly confident that we only have Hahn because of what Bono created.

As for Bono's standards I agree 100 percent with you and they are a bad look. We will be better off with Hahn at the helm going forward....but feel free to go back and read any threads during Bono's stay here. You will not find any of the talk that you hear now that he is gone. It was all about his passion and enthusiasm and how he was bringing a toughness to the program that was lacking. If I remember correctly the people, those that left, weren't passionate enough about wrestling and college wrestling wasn't cut out for everyone.

It grates on me when so many people ride the wave when things are good, but suddenly find there moral side when it ends. Before you jump to conclusions I am not calling anyone out specifically but our fan base as a whole. End of rant.

Comment

Yes, he did turn around a failing program that would have been dropped if continued in a down spin.

I'm sure it will never be revealed here (nobody wants a lawsuit), but the insiders with wrestlers on the team know the things he did to wrestlers. Let's just say, we hope that he is not continuing his actions at Wisconsin.

We look the other way because he creates a winning team. At the cost of the athletes. But they are disposable, right? As long as we have a winning team. (Sarcasm)

Currently we have a team of coaches that care about the individual athlete. They will not only develop a winning team, they look after young men wellbeing as they mature as Student-Athletes.

Comment

Justin Sell ultimately approved Gross joining the team and gave him a second chance. I give Sell more credit for reviving the program than the self promoting Bono!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  That's not what he's saying at all. Without Bono there's a chance there isn't a wrestling program at SDSU. Bono literally brought this program from the brink of folding to a contender on the national stage. It's not a far-reaching argument that Bono was the exact coach SDSU needed when he was hired.

All would agree having a program is the most important thing for SDSU, and the wrestling community as a whole. He did build the program. He did market the program. The team saw vast improvement during his tenure. How it was done is the problem I have with him. Then you add on to that what was learned after he left. SMH. Too bad someone else wasn't hired in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X