Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seth Gross

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I don't we should block any transfer. It's not what we are all about. If Seth would rather be some were else, then more power to him. If a non-athlete who happens to be doing well as a chemistry major and wanted transfer to U of Wisconsin for a better program and better job opportunities, would we stand in his way? Probably not! It bothers me, and maybe I too am guilty, how we as fans seem to claim ownership over the lives of student athletes. We dont have that ownership in our bag of capital assets. Justin does not seem to be that kind of a guy. He claims the glory when it is rightfully his and the rest he lets slide.
    I've put a fair bit of thought into this. If it was just a simple case of Seth wanting to transfer, I'd say go ahead. Wish him well and move on.

However, that doesn't appear to be the case here. He got kicked out of school at Iowa and couldn't really find any other school that was willing to give him a chance. SDSU did, spearheaded by Bono but ultimately approved by Justin Sell. Sell stuck his neck out a little and it worked out well for everyone involved.

Now the tricky part is Seth couldn't transfer when Bono left because of his troubles at Iowa. That's no one's fault but his own. His only opportunity to transfer out of SDSU is to graduate and grad transfer so his injury this year is "convenient". If and it's a big if he used this injury to be able to grad transfer that's pretty shady. I'm still thinking just let him go. We really don't need a kid like that.

But, if Bono tampered, then I think you need to press that issue. That's against NCAA rules. We essentially invested a scholarship and I assume medical costs on Seth so SDSU has something invested here.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I've put a fair bit of thought into this. If it was just a simple case of Seth wanting to transfer, I'd say go ahead. Wish him well and move on.

However, that doesn't appear to be the case here. He got kicked out of school at Iowa and couldn't really find any other school that was willing to give him a chance. SDSU did, spearheaded by Bono but ultimately approved by Justin Sell. Sell stuck his neck out a little and it worked out well for everyone involved.

Now the tricky part is Seth couldn't transfer when Bono left because of his troubles at Iowa. That's no one's fault but his own. His only opportunity to transfer out of SDSU is to graduate and grad transfer so his injury this year is "convenient". If and it's a big if he used this injury to be able to grad transfer that's pretty shady. I'm still thinking just let him go. We really don't need a kid like that.

But, if Bono tampered, then I think you need to press that issue. That's against NCAA rules. We essentially invested a scholarship and I assume medical costs on Seth so SDSU has something invested here.
      Perhaps so! I have not followed all details. It might be something we have to take action. I have no clues on how the health insurance in the athletic department works. Are we self-insuranced or do we pay premiums to a carrier? Seth’s surgery was not cheap.

Comment

I think that last part is the key distinction. Going after Bono / Wisconsin for tampering is different (and more preferable) than blocking Gross from transferring.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Perhaps so! I have not followed all details. It might be something we have to take action. I have no clues on how the health insurance in the athletic department works. Are we self-insuranced or do we pay premiums to a carrier? Seth’s surgery was not cheap.
          As MontanaRabbit points out, Sell & SDSU have invested a lot of time and probably money in Seth's journey. If there is tampering or a shady plan to have "Surgery" in which SDSU would have to pay for only to see him leave to Wisconsin would be a slap in the face. Additionally, the Brookings community and Jackrabbit nation welcomed in a kid who made some big mistakes and offered him a second home without batting an eye. If i were an athlete in a similar position I would want to give the community another highlight season, but that's just me.

Also if Seth had transferred here because he could start and had no legal history, I don't think the Board would be upset at him wanting to follow Bono to Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I think that last part is the key distinction. Going after Bono / Wisconsin for tampering is different (and more preferable) than blocking Gross from transferring.
            Completely agree. Blocking Gross is a slippery slope (and I don't even think it's possible) that almost always makes the university look really bad.

Comment

Completely agree. Blocking Gross is a slippery slope (and I don't even think it's possible) that almost always makes the university look really bad.
              Unless there is some very strong and obvious proof of the crap that Bono was pulling (which I have no doubt he was), then I would just let it go. Wish him the best and move on. However, if there is some evidence of Bono tampering over and over again, then why not, hit him where it hurts. I wouldn't block the transfer, but go after Bono.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                Unless there is some very strong and obvious proof of the crap that Bono was pulling (which I have no doubt he was), then I would just let it go. Wish him the best and move on. However, if there is some evidence of Bono tampering over and over again, then why not, hit him where it hurts. I wouldn't block the transfer, but go after Bono.
                Unless Bono is dumb I'm guessing he covered his tracks pretty well.

Comment

Is there any more then just speculation from fans?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Is there any more then just speculation from fans?
                    I think it's all just speculation, but at the same time given what's happened it's hard to think all these events are just coincidence. You have guys on the Flow Wrestling podcast that are going on record saying they heard a couple months back he wasn't coming back this year and was going to get a medical redshirt and transfer. All of that has come to fruition.

Comment

I think it's all just speculation, but at the same time given what's happened it's hard to think all these events are just coincidence. You have guys on the Flow Wrestling podcast that are going on record saying they heard a couple months back he wasn't coming back this year and was going to get a medical redshirt and transfer. All of that has come to fruition.
                      So maybe if there is smoke, there is fire.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Unless Bono is dumb I'm guessing he covered his tracks pretty well.
                        Don’t give that much credit, He already has a safe sport violation. It sounds like his ego is larger than his brain. I’m going to get hand slapped for saying it, but it sounds like he has been tampering with Gross all year. If he has, I doubt we will take it sitting down. With the new transfer rules, the NCAA put even harsher penalties about tampering. Curious to see how this pans out.

Comment

I recall well how Coach Bono was so dedicated to SDSU wrestling as well as other activities at SDSU. Seth Gross was our first national champ. Athletes of Seth's caliber do not have unnecessary surgery as it seems some here have suggested. (What doc in his right mind would cut into someone for the purpose of assisting that person in transferring to a different school? Is that what some are seriously saying here?) And, so what if an athlete seemed to game the system a little to his advantage. All universities with athletics, particularly D-1 schools, get so much from their athletes...it's pretty one-sided when you think about it. The cost-of-attendance addressed the disparity somewhat but I think about the numerous good athletes getting wrecked knees etc.

For me, the speculation doesn't justify me thinking less of Coach Bono or Seth Gross.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I recall well how Coach Bono was so dedicated to SDSU wrestling as well as other activities at SDSU. Seth Gross was our first national champ. Athletes of Seth's caliber do not have unnecessary surgery as it seems some here have suggested. (What doc in his right mind would cut into someone for the purpose of assisting that person in transferring to a different school? Is that what some are seriously saying here?) And, so what if an athlete seemed to game the system a little to his advantage. All universities with athletics, particularly D-1 schools, get so much from their athletes...it's pretty one-sided when you think about it. The cost-of-attendance addressed the disparity somewhat but I think about the numerous good athletes getting wrecked knees etc.

For me, the speculation doesn't justify me thinking less of Coach Bono or Seth Gross.
                            I agree, I can't believe he would have unnecessary surgery. If he did, man, Bono is a hell of salesman....haha.

This wreaks of Bono having his hands all over this though. If you listened to the Flow Wrestling podcast, they said the word on the street (two months ago) is Seth is going to sit out the year, have surgery, apply for a medical redshirt and transfer to Wisconsin. So far it's been pretty spot on. I'd be shocked if there wasn't something fishy going on with Bono.

Comment

I do know that Bono and Gross didn't have the most pleasant of splits when Bono left last spring. Somewhere Seth won his weight class at some world event last spring or early last summer. Bono had already announced he was leaving but coached Seth at this event as SDSU hadn't hired anyone yet. After Seth won Bono got all excited for obvious reasons but Seth stopped the celebration and flat out told Bono "this isn't for you anymore, this is my deal" or something along those lines. Basically making it clear to Bono that you need me more than I need you. So, since that happened, I'm not 100% sold that he is going to Wisconsin. I've heard he'll end up at either Minnesota (where he grew up) or, just as likely, he won't wrestle in college anymore and go straight to a training center and get started on his post college career.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                I do know that Bono and Gross didn't have the most pleasant of splits when Bono left last spring. Somewhere Seth won his weight class at some world event last spring or early last summer. Bono had already announced he was leaving but coached Seth at this event as SDSU hadn't hired anyone yet. After Seth won Bono got all excited for obvious reasons but Seth stopped the celebration and flat out told Bono "this isn't for you anymore, this is my deal" or something along those lines. Basically making it clear to Bono that you need me more than I need you. So, since that happened, I'm not 100% sold that he is going to Wisconsin. I've heard he'll end up at either Minnesota (where he grew up) or, just as likely, he won't wrestle in college anymore and go straight to a training center and get started on his post college career.
                                Interesting, if he was headed to UW, seems he would have left by now. This seems plausible.

Comment

Working...
                                X