Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Gross

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
    Not this community. If you want to spread rumors go somewhere else or specifically name your sources.
    Agree rep pts given.

Comment

I have deleted a citation to a different message board that TheWombat inserted into his post (#74 in this thread). Perhaps TheWombat was trying to do an end-around on the attribution rule by simply citing a different message board which was talking rumors.

I do not agree with TheWombat's views on the benefit (?) of airing rumors. Throwing out some lofty-sounding words like "democratization" of ideas etc. is the old lipstick on a pig problem.

Wombat: I'm getting tired of discussing the attribution rule and I'm not going to take the time to discuss free speech and the First Amendment, censorship and other important concepts when the context of the discussion is a privately owned message board dedicated to discussing SDSU sports. If we ever did start discussing those matters, I'm going to tell you about some lawsuits I've handled in which parties hurt by rumors have been awarded significant compensation to address the damage caused by the rumors. And I'll also tell you that nine times out of ten, it's all but impossible to prove in court actual damages from the spread of falsehoods. People who have been defamed often have difficulty remedying the defamation -- people who have suffered very real harm can't do a lot about it. One of the reasons I've appreciated the attribution rule because it is a reasonable approach to avoiding causing harm. Bottom line, as a moderator on this board, I won't stand for the damage that can be caused by allowing the type of discussion you seem to favor. I personally think your view is a little naive. I defend your right to disagree. But if you want to talk rumors, take it to another place where the owner of the board has a different view -- you've discovered such a place (your citation) so keep it there. Don't like that? Start your own board.
      Last edited by JackJD; 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

filbert posted guidelines in May of 2009 and they are available for all to read. Here are a few of those guidelines:

9. Using these guidelines to hit other people over the head is Not Cool. The bartenders like Cool. Strive to be Cool.

10. Using these guidelines to hit the bartenders over the head will get you banned really, really fast. See #3.

11. Complaining about "free speech" on this board will also get you banned really, really fast. If you want free speech, go start your own web site. We might even link to it.

12. The bartenders don't particularly care for posters dragging discussions from other boards or web sites onto this one, only partly because it isn't fair to the discussion participants on the other site. See #2.

I included guidelines 9 and 10 because some readers of this board may wish to accuse me of hitting people over the head with guidelines. I've made it easy for you. But note, nobody has been banned or threatened with a ban over the rumors in this thread.

filbert the prophet saw what he was getting into. Guidelines 11 and 12...prescient!

Comment

drifting back to the thread title....Seth had his surgery today, his post surgery tweet showed a smile. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
            I guess I'm curious where you go to get your latest rumors and gossip.
            If I want rumors or gossip, I could go to Buzzfeed or CNN. I have no desire to waste my time with rumors or gossip nor do I want to repeat or be associated with information that is more than likely not true. I have seen rumors and gossip destroy peoples lives, break up marriages and lead to attempted suicides, so why would anyone want to repeat something that they don't know is true or more than likely is not true, when they know it will hurt another person. The source of information is actually more important that the information itself.

Comment

Haven't been on the board very much in recent months. Posted the news of Seth's surgery, because I did not see it on the board when I chanced to look. If I had posted it a few days earlier, when I was aware the surgery was scheduled, it would have averted some of the "opinions" floating around, and I'm sorry I didn't look earlier. I was aware of a number of different rumors as to why he wasn't wrestling. Some far-fetched. The one on the board that he would be faking an injury so as to get a medical redshirt was crazy. First of all, Seth had a previous redshirt. His odds of getting a second redshirt ARE very small (and would have been impossible by "faking" an injury. The ONLY thing that may help his odds was the fact that after trying a lot of alternatives, he had to finally agree to undergo back surgery. He is a wonderful person and I am hoping, for his sake, that he can wrestle again. And for a final comment, THANK YOU to Filbert for his rules...individual lives can be affected by "I heard" comments.

Comment

From what I've seen with NCAA wrestling, I can guess that Seth Gross will almost certainly be granted a 6th year of eligibility if he applies for one. The NCAA has really loosened up recently and even if they hadn't, with only one competitive match this year and a back surgery to point to, I would be very surprised to see his request denied. At this point in the year, there's so little left to compete for that he would be giving up a lot to push through any kind of medical hardship just for the post-season. Micic, Phillipi, Fix, DeSanto, and Suriano all have what it takes to beat Seth on his best day; if you put him out there after three months on the couch while they've all been training and peaking for nationals, I don't like his chances at all. If a medical redshirt is an option, I think you have to take it, and, given the little that's been said about his condition and surgery, it should be an option.

Comment

From what I've seen with NCAA wrestling, I can guess that Seth Gross will almost certainly be granted a 6th year of eligibility if he applies for one. The NCAA has really loosened up recently and even if they hadn't, with only one competitive match this year and a back surgery to point to, I would be very surprised to see his request denied. At this point in the year, there's so little left to compete for that he would be giving up a lot to push through any kind of medical hardship just for the post-season. Micic, Phillipi, Fix, DeSanto, and Suriano all have what it takes to beat Seth on his best day; if you put him out there after three months on the couch while they've all been training and peaking for nationals, I don't like his chances at all. If a medical redshirt is an option, I think you have to take it, and, given the little that's been said about his condition and surgery, it should be an option.
                  Flowrestling jokes that as long as you don't wrestle in March, the NCAA will grant you a medical redshirt
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Since Seth is out this year, my favorite 133lber is Austin DeSanto from Iowa. I really hope he wins the title this year as he is very entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I am not as sophisticated as you are but I did not criticize Hahn. I said he was qualified otherwise he would not live in Brookings. I do think he is off to a bad start losing to UNI 34 to zero and we were shut out in another match Penn State? But why are our wrestlers allegedly giving up? I feel that's a legit question and giving to the my own endowed scholarship and directly to the Jackrabbit Club it seems to me to be a question that needs to be answered. Asinine??? I dont think so. Knowing the coach is worth how many points? Zero since I have taken time to introduce myself. I never met Bono either, but I watched enough youtubes to know he did not mess around. Lets hope Hahn has the same approach.
                      That's more of an idictment on Bono and who he left for Hahn no?

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        That's more of an idictment on Bono and who he left for Hahn no?
                        This kind of old, No comment.

Comment

Since Seth is out this year, my favorite 133lber is Austin DeSanto from Iowa. I really hope he wins the title this year as he is very entertaining
                          You mean that guy who tries to break people's arms when he's losing and chews out his coaches after matches? I was never a fan of him in particular.

Comment

You mean that guy who tries to break people's arms when he's losing and chews out his coaches after matches? I was never a fan of him in particular.
                            Too loose of a cannon for me as well. The Micic semi-final match from last year. and Minnesota dual are just two examples.

Comment

Seth Gross

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Too loose of a cannon for me as well. The Micic semi-final match from last year. and Minnesota dual are just two examples.
                              Micic thing was last year and he's gotten better since then. Austin DeSanto is on the spectrum for Autism btw and it's why the coaches are constantly working with him

His reaction to beating Lizak was great especially after Minnesota wrestlers created a fake Lizak Twitter account and called him out before the match

College wrestling needs more villains and he's the perfect villan and is so emotional but not actively trying to hurt wrestlers this year so I'm all for it

Comment

Micic thing was last year and he's gotten better since then. Austin DeSanto is on the spectrum for Autism btw and it's why the coaches are constantly working with him

His reaction to beating Lizak was great especially after Minnesota wrestlers created a fake Lizak Twitter account and called him out before the match

College wrestling needs more villains and he's the perfect villan and is so emotional but not actively trying to hurt wrestlers this year so I'm all for it
                                I was unaware that DeSanto was on the autism spectrum. If it is the case that DeSanto is diagnosed with ASD, I would certainly be wrong to rebuke him as a person (though I do deplore his actions). That said, if DeSanto is on the spectrum, I feel that the context frames your praise of his bombastic actions in a pretty disturbing way. If DeSanto's actions really are the result of the kind inability to feel empathy and manage emotions that characterize autism spectrum disorder, what kind of person would it take to find enjoyment watching DeSanto's disability play it's self out in these fits of rage that he can't control and would certainly choose not to experience? Isn't that a bit like laughing at someone with Tourettes? If you're looking for a villain, maybe Gable Steveson or Thomas Gillman would work better for you as they actively choose to do the things that they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X