Seth Gross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Gross

I was pretty sure this rumor wasn't true when the idea was put out that he was faking being injured in order to .... I have seen this same rumor before with three different kids that I know who were experiencing extended health issues. Before the diagnosis was completed kids weresaying that they were faking it. Kids don't fake being sick for extended periods of time. Maybe for a few days to get out of a test or something like that but not for many many months.

I hope Seth gets his issues taken care of and he can become fully healed. Back injuries are serious and hopefully he can make a complete recovery for his health not only short term but hopefully he doesn't have long term issues, which is really the most important. I would love to come see him wrestle for SDSU again.

Comment

One thing with Seth is his relationship with SDSU is different than most student athletes. After getting kicked off the team at Iowa there weren’t a ton of programs that were begging him to come wrestle for them. Actually quite the opposite he was “begging” for a second chance. I have to think the ultimate decision whether they brought in Seth rested with Justin Sell. So, although Bono leaving creates a convenient narrative there is another side to Seth’s story.

Also isn’t Seth’s girlfriend from Brookings?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Also isn’t Seth’s girlfriend from Brookings?
        Yes, Ronna Heaton (dad is Tim Heaton, SDSU Chief of Police). She is a darn good wrestler as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Mike Daum was a lock to go to Wisconsin about this time last year too..............
          And how many different times was Nate supposedly transferring to Minnesota back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            From what is being said, this policy is what made Seth decide to have back surgery to end his season. People have been saying he would rather sit the year than cite his sources.
            Yeah, I'll own it.

My bad.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Yeah, I'll own it.

My bad.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
              The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,
              Baum, L. Frank, 1900
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

Comment

I heard the rumors before I read them on this board and, like all of you, hope that they aren’t true. I came here to see what other Jackrabbit wrestling fans are thinking about info that is already out there. What is a message board for if it isn’t to discuss what we are hearing? Should anyone publishing unsubstantiated claims such as: “I heard recruit X is leaning towards the Jacks” be afraid? Or is it only the negative rumors that will be punished? Message boards don’t constitute journalism. We are just fans coming together to discuss the team(s) we support, and should be treated as such.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverJack View Post
                  I heard the rumors before I read them on this board and, like all of you, hope that they aren’t true. I came here to see what other Jackrabbit wrestling fans are thinking about info that is already out there. What is a message board for if it isn’t to discuss what we are hearing? Should anyone publishing unsubstantiated claims such as: “I heard recruit X is leaning towards the Jacks” be afraid? Or is it only the negative rumors that will be punished? Message boards don’t constitute journalism. We are just fans coming together to discuss the team(s) we support, and should be treated as such.
                  To me, that's comparing apples to oranges. The nature of the recruiting process is speculating where a recruit may end up. Saying a recruit is leaning to a particular school does no damage to either the recruit or the program. But circulating unsubstantiated rumors about a current player can potentially harm both the athlete and/or the program.
                  Last edited by bigticket1; 01-21-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverJack View Post
                    Certainly some fan message boards have few or no limits on being a part of a rumor mill. This board has restrictions on rumors and I personally think filbert's attribution rule is reasonable and worthwhile.

Some rumors cause harm and sometimes that harm is very difficult to quantify but it happens.

Denver Jack, your position is shared by many (as demonstrated by message boards that permit the discussion and spread of rumors) and I recognize that reasonable people can disagree on whether a fan message board should allow the types of discussion of "what we are hearing" that are not permitted on this board unless there is compliance with the attribution rule. People can start their own message board and allow such discussions. Or, people can visit other message boards including the message boards of several Summit and MVFC schools, and discuss such matters on those boards.

Comment

It is clear this thread is totally off the tracks and probably should fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        It is clear this thread is totally off the tracks and probably should fade away.
                        I agree it should fade away, but I don't come on message boards to get the latest rumors or gossip and I support the restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                          I agree it should fade away, but I don't come on message boards to get the latest rumors or gossip and I support the restrictions.
                          I guess I'm curious where you go to get your latest rumors and gossip. It seems to me that this is what message boards are for. That's what I love about some other message board; it's a democratization of ideas where rumors pop up and are either supported or quashed by other information. If you are taking what is said on message boards as your standard for truth, you're doing it wrong. This is both the strength and weakness of the message board when compared to other forms of media; you get to hear all of the gossip qua gossip and, if it's true, you will have learned something. If it is untrue, you take it for what it is, unsubstantiated claims on a message board. There really isn't another space for this online and I think it serves to create a healthy fan base. On a separate note, let's be honest with ourselves, censuring the rumor doesn't kill it, it just forces it underground where it can be neither confirmed nor denied. If we allow it into the public sphere, it can at least be debated on and subjected to reason and new evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                            I guess I'm curious where you go to get your latest rumors and gossip. It seems to me that this is what message boards are for. That's what I love about some other message board; it's a democratization of ideas where rumors pop up and are either supported or quashed by other information. If you are taking what is said on message boards as your standard for truth, you're doing it wrong. This is both the strength and weakness of the message board when compared to other forms of media; you get to hear all of the gossip qua gossip and, if it's true, you will have learned something. If it is untrue, you take it for what it is, unsubstantiated claims on a message board. There really isn't another space for this online and I think it serves to create a healthy fan base. On a separate note, let's be honest with ourselves, censuring the rumor doesn't kill it, it just forces it underground where it can be neither confirmed nor denied. If we allow it into the public sphere, it can at least be debated on and subjected to reason and new evidence.
                            I really don't understand why the no rumor without a source rule bothers people so much. If you don't like the rule made by the guy who pays the bills for this site start your own site.

I was around when this rule came about during our men's basketball transition hell. Lots of rumors were swirling back then and those rumors got some people riled up and led to personal attacks, etc. This message board wasn't the most fun place to be back then. The rule has been a good thing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              I really don't understand why the no rumor without a source rule bothers people so much. If you don't like the rule made by the guy who pays the bills for this site start your own site.

I was around when this rule came about during our men's basketball transition hell. Lots of rumors were swirling back then and those rumors got some people riled up and led to personal attacks, etc. This message board wasn't the most fun place to be back then. The rule has been a good thing IMO.
                              I don't actually have the expertise or capital to start my own site. What I do is to post other places: [citation deleted by JackJD...see explanation in post below.]

The reason that I think this rule bothers me is because the message board is such a great medium for conducting a frank conversation. You can try ideas or opinions out on a message board in ways that you can't in the media or even on a social media platform. Censorship tends to limit that. If there is a rumor about an athlete transferring, there is room to opine about how the line-up fill out in their absence or how it could impact recruiting. I would also say that there are real utilities to some of these unverified claims. One good example might be the Wisconsin coaching rumors surrounding the investigation. It might be good for prospective recruits to know what these coaches are being accused of if they are considering a move to Madison, but sources aren't going to come forward and the media doesn't care enough about wrestling to dig into this, the community is all that we have here.
                              Last edited by JackJD; 01-21-2019, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Not this community. If you want to spread rumors go somewhere else or specifically name your sources.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X